Kailua Speaks Out - Forum

Please feel free to post - Use The "Reply" Button

Kailua Speaks Out - Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Illegal B&B’s and Vacation Rentals are Ruining Kailua!

I have to say that I agree with 313. Sometimes (and I'm sure it's not intentional) it does sound a bit hostile on this site towards tourists whether they are staying in Kailua or not. We definitely don't want to stoke the fires of prejudice here like in the case of the guy who got beat up in Nanakuli earlier this month.

So just concentrate on the illegal B&B's and leave it at that.

The people who bought property (whether they live in Hawaii or not) and are using it legally are lawful homeowners. No one should chastise them for that. Now if there are those that are using it ILLEGALLY, then they should be punished based on the law.

That's what I meant about the flip flopping earlier. For some reason many of the comments start off talking about the illegal B&B's and then change into a tourist bashing and future development (only the good ones) crusade.

I agree somewhat too we are all guilty of bashing someone now and then ... its not good to bash the locals either.. because one person says "go home Haole" it doesn't mean all locals at Kailua Beach are doing that .. what message does that send? It's sad what happened down in Nanakuli too.

But I'll try to keep focused on the ILLEGAL OPERATIONS - cuz I can see how one spark can light a whole forest a blaze.

So yeah I will take that into consideration and thanks for your input u 2.. I'm finishing up on a new version of Kailua Speaks Out.. almost done..
where it is more educational and interactive and each topic page will have its own message board ( to keep topic conversation more orderly) ..
So if you have any ideas send em to me..

Actually, I had an idea maybe to let a club of childrn (teens) run and operate the site.. I got a few of them myself..
Maybe like the Boys & Girls Club..Or maybe a few from children from each school make a club out of it... I would volunteer my time to work with a few of them for a community project.
I'll probably going to be putting the new site up within a few days or maybe tommorow if I heal from my nite out ....gosh this red does hurt the eyes and head LOL ........thanks Baht you been a real help through all this.

After failing badly in their attempt to infiltrate the Kailua Neighborhood Board, the illegal vacation rental crowd backed Ruth Cates for the Board of the Lanikai Community Association. She was not elected either.The Lanikai Board membership now appears to be solidly pro-resident.

Does anybody know if there are any new updates on what is being done on ENFORCING and ceasing the current Alleged Illegal businesses that are operating presently and preventing new ones from opening?

Why is it that they don't treat this as a more criminal activity? and why can't they go as far as confiscating the home or aka business or at least put leins on them?
I just think that minimal amount of daily fines per day is like a pay-off fee for them to continue to operate and is a drop in the bucket to what they charge daily for some of these homes.. It's surely not enough to discourage them from operating or opening up new ones.
It just seems like this has been going on a LOOOONG time and instead of seeing a decrease in these illegal activities it seems to be increasing .

Here is a better question Can a community at whole put a suit against a business like this and use our own investigators and gather evidence?
maybe this would help and deter these people from setting up shops here?

Like a class action suit I think they call it.

***Here Is An Article Submitted By A Viewer***
Thanks For Your Submissions............

Hotels' loss is illegal rentals' gain
Letter To Editor by Stann W. Reiziss (Kailua)
CLICK BELOW ARTICLE TO READ
STAR BULLETIN - July 8th 2007 "Hotels' loss is illegal rentals' gain">