Kailua Speaks Out - Forum

Please feel free to post - Use The "Reply" Button

Kailua Speaks Out - Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Illegal B&B’s and Vacation Rentals are Ruining Kailua!

The core problem Kailua faces is illegal B&B’s and vacation rentals. These rentals are visitor accommodation businesses and have the same negative impact on our community as hotels and resorts would. Many experts estimate there may be as many as 500 vacation rentals in Kailua. With an average of four rooms per property, that equates to a 2000 room hotel!

The reason why Kailua is being transformed into a tourist town is because we have a proliferation of “illegal” visitor accommodations in our neighborhoods. If we shut down these illegal businesses, we can keep Kailua a “residential” community!

Let’s all stand up for our rights. We bought or rented our homes in residential-use only neighborhoods. It’s our legal right to live in our neighborhoods without commercial businesses!

Re: Illegal B&B’s and Vacation Rentals are Ruining Kailua!

Right on! The commercial businesses in residential neighborhoods contribute traffic, late night noise and pedestrian traffic. We need to have community control of how our community is developed or developing. We can do that through the neighborhood board and through the various electred officials who are supposed to represent us. Illegal commercial enterprises should all be treated the same and the laws should be enforced.

THE SITE IS VERY INFORMATIVE IN EDUCATING THE PUBLIC ON THIS ISSUE.
THEY GIVE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO UTILIZE THE GIS SYSTEM TO HELP YOU DETERMINE IF THE B&B IS LEGAL OR ILLEGAL AND GIVES YOU STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO TURN EM IN IF THEY ARE ILLEGAL ..
LETS GET IN UNITY AND GET BACK OUR COMMUNITY!

MAHALO NEIGHBORS

BNBCOALITION.ORG

Another good site to go and check out would be :

SONHawaii "Save Oahu Neighborhoods Hawaii"

Which has a page which explains it better than I could :
10 Myths About Transient Vacation Rentals (TVRs)

All Excellent points! Kailua residents just want to have the stability and sense of community that living in a residential area brings. Just because tourism is a huge industry here doesn't mean that we must sacrifice everything to it. The people who are using their properties as either legal or illegal vacation rentals to help their living expenses are by far in the minority -- and if they are doing it illegally, then I'm afraid I don't have any sympathy for them. If they are doing it legally, then they don't have anything to worry about.

One more thought…why don’t the vacation rental owners locate their properties in visitor designation areas (VDA)? I understand Ko Olina has recently built resort homes. These are the areas where these businesses should be located.

I Agree with you on that Jane.. and I in the past helped clean Vacation Rentals/B&B's -- Dont think they were legal but who knows..
I tell you this though none of the owners lived in them or on the property AND most of them are run by REAL-ESTATE AGENTS / PROPERTY MANAGERS.
But been told lots of the owners live on the mainland and utilize the units only on their vacations.
So When you Say in the Minority I Can See It Is In The Minority!!

And Yes I felt like a traitor just cleaning them

If you're really that against them, you shouldn't have been cleaning them.

Which leads us to another point. What about the jobs that are created by these B&Bs which in turn helps the community? Are you talking about all B&Bs or just the illegal ones?

Having a job that you don't have to commute into town for definitely is a plus.

Jobs do not matter because we do not want Kailua turning into a little Waikiki. We don't need people to dictate to us here in Kailua. Because we know everything. And we want people to listen to what we say. After all, we are dictators and only allow our views to be heard.

I did a little research and it was quite useful and amusing. A lot of people on here don't have the life experiences that they claim.

Well good question - I give you that...
It's called "Survival" when you are a single parent with 4 children .. Actually it did wake me up and made me more so realize the negative impact it has on us as a community.. Its like geeze they buy older houses knock it down..or renovate.. which increases our property value.. which means more taxes... then we have to work harder to do things the LEGAL way in order to survive..And Jo Smo here does it illegally gets away with it - and here I am cleaning his toilets... yehaw!! Now thats doing for the community!!
And if that's the type of jobs it introduces into our community for our children.. thats pretty ****ty Literally!!! If you ever scrubbed doodoo and puke ..from people that is not your own children/parents then you would know what I mean..
As far as giving us jobs.. I think our community would be just as fine with having neighbors we can share a bbq with and having those business in Kailua that our town and other tourist that still will come and visit our beautiful town & Beach...So what maybe we wont be that powerful thriving town but at least we will have a balance.
I could rent out my house to be a vacation rental and do things the illegal way..but that wouldn't be the right thing to do for neighbors or others just to profit.. so I will continue to struggle eat saimin if need be and enjoy the place I call home! Is it stupid or is it doing the right thing?
Legal B&B's hey they got in at the right time and it was CONTROLLED and Balanced!
And yes I feel sad for those who chose to do it the illegal way to SURVIVE and meet their monthly payments.. But The Majority of them are not out to do this..But just to make mega bucks and then If I'm not mistaken they keep the whole **** and kaboodle.. and don't pay taxes on it.. otherwise they get caught yeah.. I don't know like I said I'm not all into the political part of it.. but I do see the negative it has had on the family and friends I KNOW -- the people who have to struggle and struggle through this issue legally!!

And in response to you Nixon...
Nobody claimed to be anything we claimed to be ourselves whether it be we are not up to your standards societies standards or not..
Welcome back..

nick....please share... I would love to be ammused with your newly discovered information.

www.whois.com , search www.kailuaspeaksout.com, once there, cross reference the name and address with GIS ownership records and you will find that our homeowner is not really a homeowner, but a trust fund baby. Cross reference that information with public tax records from the City and County of Honolulu's Office of Conveyance and you will find a lot of interesting information.

While you are there (at www.whois.com) search the IP's of the people on here and you will notice that 7 of them are all using the same IP address, but using different logon names. Pretty Interesting I think. So what appears to be a conversation is merely a farce (unless 8 people are using the same ip address) because it could just be ghost writers. If you would like, I can furnish this information to all on the board, but it might turn out to be quite embarrassing and your credibility would really be put in question.

Yes Nick...
And everyone that knows me personally ..knows this..
As far as computers goes..can't more than one person use a computer..You Can meet all of us at the Kailua Event.. Would love to meet you!!
Enough of these games lets discuss issues that are not on a personal touch.. if you want to get personal why don't you begin by telling all of us your name and profession!!
Do You Have Something To Hide????? You Must Be Scared Of Something if you insist on acting this way!!!

Is this what you are all about Nixon or Nic Syn? Personal attacks? Are you so insecure in yourself that you must go out and be a nasty rabid attacking dog sneaking up on everyone? Who told you to "sic 'em"?

You came on these boards and were allowed to speak you piece until you got to the point where your condescending and superior attitude ****** everyone off and got you cut off temporarily and justifiably. We are trying to build a sense of unity in our community and trying to learn from each other. What are you trying to do? Tear everyone down, demonstrate you "superiority", disrupt everyone eles's attempts to communicate? You are obviously attempting to sabotage everything that everyone who has contributed to this site has tried to do and say.

Why don't you start your own site representing your views, attitudes, etc.

Fyi - I am not Lynn, nor am I the webmaster, nor am any other person posting here. My name is Finn Barbee and I am a good friend of Lynn's and I support her efforts (which are also mine) to try and bring some communication and unity into our community regarding issues that we care about. Meet us at the community rally on April 29th.

WHEN THIS NAME IS USED "KAILUA SPEAKS OUT" IT IS THE WEBMASTERS NAME AND YES THIS IS LYNN TOO BUT I TRY TO BE UNBIASED AND I HAVE TOLD EVERYONE PUBLICALLY TO CORRECT ME..FOR I AM A HUMAN..

AS FAR AS YOUR RESEARCHING GOES..SHOULD I TAKE IT AS A THREAT?? ARE YOU THREATENING ME??? GOSH THINK I READ OF THESE TACTICS IN THE NEWS.... MOB TACTICS..

Talk about the touchy. Must be from Watergate.

Okay, I decided to post messages like this from me now since it confused some...
"Kailua Speaks Out /Lynn"

Thanks for the email links that were emailed to me.. I updated it.. These are located in the "News" section of this site .. I put from both sides.. not pro or con tried to keep it in order.
Very interesting stories regarding illegal B&B's etc....from both sides... never read so many news paper articles usually I go for comics and crosswords.. Love my crosswords..:)
Remember other topics or concerns regarding Kailua you can email me.. Even good stuff like that St Anthony student winning !!
Well people I'm outta here - going to play some online games and try to get back my tokens I lost in that Texas Hold em..
Oh yeah and thanks baht for sticking with us in here..

A *** Hou ~ Lynn

Also pretty soon we are going to have to jump off this thread and start a new one WHEW!!
They have a limit of 50 .. daz because I'm on a tight budget and no can afford the pro-plan right now LOL.

Hey Baht.
In answer to your question and comments regarding those people who work at vacation rentals or BNBs', many of those workers are making $10 per hour or less which hardly allows them to live easily in Kailua. Many of the cleaning people I know live in either Waimanalo or Kaneohe or with ohana because they can't afford to rent in Kailua or they don't want to live in Kailua because of the congestion, etc. I know some that some do live here but they are running the cleaning crews and making more money than the cleaners themselves.

but that's a STATEWIDE problem. Low wages and no housing happens statewide.

Alot of statewide problems are being regionalized on these forums to center around only Kailua. Just concentrate on ILLEGAL B&Bs and stick to that.

Thats a good point Baht,
Out of curiousity ....What I've been reading as I gather all these links for the topic of Illegal B&B and Temporary Vacation Rentals [yes been learning - as I compile this website ] That these ILLEGAL businesses do contribute to this problem of homelessness etc...to a degree of course,and these Illegal businesses are statewide..which is true but it has become a problem in our town of Kailua as well.
** put "ILLEGAL" because the legal ones were Controlled so there was a balance..
Now these Illegal ones are going up and around so much and so fast that it is causing an unbalance... and also taking from what could be used as a long term rentals to a degree..... Does that make sense???

From me an ordinary person looking in it looks as if that everyone is ignoring the ILLEGAL portion of this issue.. well the ZONING and CONTROLLING of this issue and why things are Zoned one way in certain districts.. Then Why Have Zoning??

Would love if you could fill me in ...
Thanks too for your input..
Yes the message board does get more accomplished and we all do learn more if we cooperate instead of trying to defend our beliefs.. And yes I am guilty of getting errrrr and errrrr and talkin thru my okole sometimes..

Lynn, you are doing an excellent job. Don’t let those who oppose your law-abiding views try to intimidate you. Understand it’s their strategy to use threats, put-downs, name calling and innuendos to try to quiet your voice of reason. As many of your web-site media stories have reported, the illegal B&B and vacation rental industry has a long history of using underhanded tactics. But this should not surprise us, since they have a long-history of intently breaking the law.

In regards to what Kailua needs to do to remain a residential community, there is only one practical solution. Kailua must stop the proliferation of visitor accommodation businesses. Be it hotels, motels, vacation rentals or B&B’s.

Our zoning laws dictate vacation rentals and B&B’s should be located in resort-zone areas and our residential neighborhoods are for residential-use only. Approximately 20 years ago, our community made a one time compromise to allow a small group of property owners to be granted “non-conforming use” certificates in order for them to be grand-fathered as B&B’s and vacation rentals. This one time compromise was made under the condition that the County Government would never allow any additional “non-conforming use” certificates for B&B’s and vacation rentals and ultimately the grand-fathered B&B’s and vacation rentals would diminish from attrition.

Because of this compromise, some individuals and corporations believe it was “okay” to violate the law and open “illegal” vacation rentals and B&B’s. Of course, this logic is flawed and criminal. It’s not okay to violate the law just because some individuals received an entitlement. For example, Buzz’s Original Steakhouse was grandfathered as a commercial zoned property in a residential area. Just because they are successfully operating in a residential area, should we allow everyone to operate restaurants in residential areas? Of course not.

Lynn, you have hit the nail on its head. The real issue Kailua faces is land-use and zoning enforcement. If we allow our neighborhoods to “illegally” or “legally” to be transformed into visitor accommodation areas, then our entire community will be transformed in to a tourist town. This is exactly what has happen to Waikiki, Lahaina and Kona-Kailua. For the majority of us and our families, our quality of life will suffer.

The solutions are simple. 1.) Enforce our zoning laws and shut down the illegal B&B’s and vacation rentals. 2.) Protect the residential character of our Kailua by stopping the illegal B&B and vacation rental industry from changing our zoning laws to benefit themselves.

Keep up the good work. Your community appreciates your efforts

All right Mauka!! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Know this is late Mauka but thank you for your kind words.. Mahalo Nui Loa..

Is it the B&B themselves that are the issue? Or the illegal behavior that they attract? I grew up in Kailua and all of my family remains in Kailua and when I visit, I have stayed at a B&B because (1) I don't want to stay with family and inconvenience them and (2) there are very few hotel choices in Kailua and I don't want to stay in Waikiki.

I don't see a problem with these B&B themselves, but perhaps the illegal behavior is the problem. Perhaps better enforcement of laws for noise, illegal parking and drinking and so on would discourage roundy visitors and keep B&B owners more vigilant about who they rent their units to. Not all "tourists" are bad, so why punish all of them. The focus should be on the ones breaking the law.

The real issue with vacation rentals and B&B’s is they change the property’s land-use from residential to commercial. Vacation rentals and B&B’s are visitor accommodation businesses and as a commercial land-use they change the residential character of the property, the neighborhood and even the community.

Kailua already has 75 “legal” visitor accommodation businesses that have been given “non-conforming use” certificates to operate in our “residential-use only” neighborhoods. For many in the community, this number may be too high and should be reduced, but overwhelmingly, the vast majority of Kailua residents believe we should not increase the nummber of these businesses by allowing illegal operators to continue or by allowing additional “non-conforming use” certificates for B&B and vacation rentals to be granted.

Better enforcement of parking, noise and other nuisance oriented regulations is not the right solution since the regualtions will not address the issue of retaining the residential character of our neighborhoods or our community. Only enforcing our zoning laws and not allowing any additional visitor accommodation businesses in residential neighborhoods will resolve the problem. Let’s all “Keep Kailua residential”!

OKAY I KNOW THIS IS GOING TO BE A LONG RESPONSE BUT "I HAD A BAD DAY" LOL...

Aloha & Welcome ,

This whole B&B - Vacation Rental Issue has been really uncalled for .. If everyone would of FOLLOWED and ENFORCED rules in this department we wouldn’t be faced with this problem.. But ain’t that the truth with any issue or concern we as a community has. But, anyways,,,,here is my outlook on the whole thing

1)
It is illegal and has cause and is causing an interference and disruption to people in our community.
Laws are made for a reason (laws help keep things in order )
The illegal businesses and their existence may provide shelter for a temporary visitor but the flip side is they take and suck out more than they provide for our community.
You Cant Rob Peter To pay Paul - Don’‘t take from us THE COMMUNITY to accommodate THE VISITOR

2)
It is not the job of Kailua or the community of Kailua or any city or state department to accommodate tourists in our RESIDENTIAL community this is not Waikiki ! To some degree we should welcome and accommodate visitors and their needs but not accommodate CRIMINALS into breaking laws just to find an alternative to Legal facilities.
To clarify it these ARE RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOODS and NOT BUSINESS DISTRICTS we are referring to. They have districts and zoning available to visitors and it was planned that way for many reasons that affect our infrastructure , our character and our rights as members of our residential community to enjoy OUR HOME.
For developers and or individuals to disobey laws for personal gain that is a big problem, because their disobedience causes an interference in our daily lives and to our infrastructure as well.
• These the majority of these operations are developers who are on this big time binge of buying and turning our homes into illegal businesses . (This takes away from our long term rentals as well as makes our property taxes go up & up)
• The Realtors and the Owners of the said ILLEGAL businesses have no regard for our community at whole - they are greedy individuals , who are not honest and not good business people to begin with . For, if they were , they would of respected our laws and regulations and abided by them and initially opened up their businesses in the appropriate zoning districts and not caused interference with our our residential districts or jeopardize our infrastructure and communities safety, and well being at whole.
• They have no regard for the welfare of others in OUR COMMUNITY - Nor are there businesses out to help our community but targeted to help increase business flow for a certain circle of business associates some who own dual interest either they are Realtors/illegal TVU ops or tourist shops/illegal TVU ops those are just two examples in other words they generate money flow from several angles so they are out to save there businesses at any cost even if it means jeopardizing the safety of the community or inconveniencing the rest of us who are in the community.
Yes we the town do get a increase of money flows here and there of money spent by tourist. but, is it worth all the problems that are associated with it ? NO!!
If many of us Kailua Residents wanted to reside in Waikiki they would of purchased homes in Waikiki.

Yes Kailua attracts tourist but many tourists themselves are SADDENED of the changes of Kailua .
They too notice the changes and blame it on the Rich Californians who are out to profit on anything they can get their hands on.. LOL (that’s what one tourist said )- Blame can be put on anyone but the fact of the matter is that IT IS HAPPENING AND IS CAUSING PROBLEMS for us in many ways.
The businesses and individuals who are associated with the operations and that want to see their business thrive they like to paint purty pictures to the rest of the community by insisting its for the tourist and that it is also to help people survive in Kailua - they say these businesses are helping tutu and tutu Kane...if lucky that is a few percentage of people who rent out their extra homes for income - I feel for them but hey when they opened their illegal business they knew the risks. And the percentage is very low for what family, who worked ,and busted their okoles (butts) to get their home that are way over priced, or who really would risk a home that was passed down generation to generation that money has no value over...why would they put their home on the line and risk paying fines and all the other headaches..?????? Not too many!
So that whitewash story don’t work no more ! It’s a story that those illegal businesses use to deceive the public so they can continue to operate and try to get the laws changed to benefit their pocketbooks...They not only take things and obtain things illegally but they plan and scheme to deceive people so they can gain votes to obtain more permits so their criminal illegal activities will become legal - and it’s a big game to them..
“Share Kailua” “Don’t’ be prejudice against tourist” they use lines like that to attempt to get to the hearts of the people - the local people who they know have a heart - for that is our culture “Aloha”spirit- for many people in Kailua are family orientated and think of others - so shame on them for using our kindness and taking it as a weakness !!! Kailua People are not stupid!!!
And I’m glad that the Neighborhood Board Results showed just That !!!! Lots of people are or WERE unaware of the extent of this business because they feel “Oh, I don’t want to get involved it isn’t in my neighborhood yet” but you know what IT IS...We see it every time we receive our property tax assessments...

When this topic is debated and discussed you keep hearing the word “Visitors, visitors, visitors”
but what about “Kailua People , Kailua People & Hawaii People”? Why should we be put on the back burner all the time ??
Sure Hawaii generates money off of the tourist industry- but, when this industry interferes with the rights of the Hawaii people, and it causes distress to us –and interferes with our rights of OUR daily enjoyment and causes our livestyles to be altered then the balance is no longer there and you see what we are facing today -

OKAY lets take a look at our KAILUA & HAWAII people and THEIR ACCOMMODATIONS

wow TENTS ON BEACHES , CARS AS HOMES...people stressing cuz they can’t even afford to buy a home to raise their family because their income does not qualify them for even the cheapest home and renting a home is just as bad because Landlords have to meet their payments so are forced to raise rents.
Shouldn't we focus on what is best for those WHO LIVE AND RESIDE HERE first!?!
The ones who pay their taxes here? For Their safety and well being!?! ACCOMMODATE THE PEOPLE OF HAWAII FIRST - then worry about accommodating the Visitors..

It’s pretty sad to hear of people grumbling about NO ACCOMMODATIONS FOR TOURIST when We have no ACCOMMODATIONS FOR OUR PEOPLE. And shame shame shame on you locals who are in on this business you should hang your head in shame!!! To do this to your extended ohana - remind me to tell my kids not to give you the respect of aunty or uncle!!!

1)If developers keep at the pace of buying and turning over these homes at the rate its going - What will happen to the chances of Kailua's children from ever buying or purchasing their family house to call HOME
You see these Illegal business are taking from what could of been homes for families.
After all this is supposed to be a residential neighborhood.

2) When they turn these homes into TVU's & B&Bs
They take away from our communities Long term rentals and take away from future children to own their own homes.
So now people are forced to find elsewhere to live - but elsewhere is also having the same problems (unaffordable & limited rentals available) unlike the mainland we are on an island and our land is precious in more ways than one...and many people are forced to live in streets in cars or beaches
(THIS IS FACTUAL AND PRESENTLY HAPPENING)
There are so many people looking for houses for families (people with small little children even) but there are not enough houses or affordable ones because why??? Well basically its all about MONEY AND THE GREED OF MONEY - (Various contributors to this concern) but yes Because the greed of people and business being done where they aught not to be in OUR RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS.. Is one contributor...
The laws where made for a reason - they break it intentionally and for the greed of money.. they want more money so they try to make the laws to benefit THEM without being considerate for our community at whole...
But you know what?
This is about us the PEOPLE of Kailua and Hawaii - THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE ACCOMMODATING US FIRST NOT THE TOURIST– NO WONDER WHY THE LOCAL FAMILIES ARE ****** OFF!!
Tourist are nice yes and they do deserve a right to enjoy their vacation but ...........
YOU CAN’T ROB PETER TO PAY PAUL !!!!!
Don’t rob from us people of the islands who pay taxes and our here long term to accommodate a temporary fix for visitors who are here for a Short Term Visit.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST.....

3)The biggest concern I have is that they are risking the lives of all of us here in Kailua by not following rules they are leaving an opportunity for disaster to strike when our emergency infrastructure is at its weakest (during natural disaster time)

WHAT PLANS IF ANY DO THESE ILLEGAL BUSINESSES HAVE FOR THE SAFETY OF THIS UNDISCLOSED AMOUNT OF TOURIST AND THE NUMBERS ARE IN THOUSANDS - WHAT SHELTER WILL THEIR GUESTS GO TO??? DOES THE GUEST EVEN KNOW WHAT TO DO IN CASE OF EMERGENCY ?? DO THEY HAVE IT WRITTEN IN JAPANESE FOR THE GUEST ??

You see in the business district like in Waikiki hotels have plans in case emergency and people,translators and emergency preperations are in order in case of a disaster..

In Kailua they the owners of illegal businesses can't even accomodate the visitor when somebody breaks in their house and allows their visitor to get robbed (they are not covered by insurance for that)Lots of the so called owners live off of Oahu and even the property managers only come around to shuffle visitors in and out.
Visitors usually gotta hunt for their rental place on their own (disturbing neighbors) and hunt for a key under mat - they do not know the area and or where things are located - some do not even speak English..
OMG (Oh my Gosh) Can you imagine how chaotic it will be if a big tsunami hits us>?
It is putting all of us at risk the local community , the tourist and all emergency volunteers and workers!!
This is just one lil seed of thought...
Then think of our emergency infrastructure how it isn't up to its fullest capabilities already..

>>>>Kailua District 4 is short staffed, overworked underpaid
>>>>Our shelters are in our schools which can't even pass inspections for being a safe haven for sheltering and cant already house the residents. What’s the maximum capacity per shelter ??versus the size of our community - let alone an undisclosed amount of VISITORS.
(think of everything it takes to provide for people in times of emergency) If you think what happened in Katrina can’t happen to us in Hawaii or Kailua think again but even worst we are in the middle of the ocean so it will take longer for help to get to us.. (this isn’t exaggerating either THIS IS FACTS)

I don't feel that these illegal businesses deserve the right to make their illegal businesses legal when all along their existence has been generated by greed greed and more greed and criminal behavior and they have not been contributing to OUR COMMUNITY but rather like leeches have been sucking the life, culture and our residential existence dry... they are jeopardizing our families welfare and taking from our future families..
they deserve a good kick in their Okole's! OR IN THEIR POCKET BOOKS!!!
They can lie and try to deceive some of the public to thinking its mom and pops looking to generate some extra income from their additional add on house - but sorry fellow neighbors of family & friends this is not what these people are doing!! I’ve cleaned lots of these house and I thought I would run into aunty ,uncle or Tutu but guess what no more!!! only thing I saw was pineapple soaps - and a mini Waikiki setting in garages that were bigger than my house.
Then they try to use the words ALOHA and COMMUNITY and other positive words to USE to try and deceive the hearts of our family and friends to think they are doing their businesses out of LOVE FOR PEOPLE ! BULL**** !
They don't care about the welfare of the tourist nor the people in our community - They care about MONEY, MONEY MONEY - And they got a little Kaboose of string a- longs aiding to the cause of destroying our town - (these include - realtors , property managers and others who know exactly whats going on and all work together to plan and scheme to keep their circle of businesses running )
So I wish people would stop trying to whitewash this issue and really think of THE PEOPLE OF KAILUA more than the VISITORS OF THE WORLD..
Lets get our HOUSE IN ORDER before ACCOMMODATING OTHERS.

The above is not and not directed at you JUST THE WHOLE TOPIC IN GENERAL HAS GOTTEN ME SORTA TICKED OFF.. Because Kailua and Hawaii is a unique place that we are very fortunate to call home so why sell it out and disrespect it by making it into a circus and call it tourism!

As for you not wanting to impose on your family on your visiting to the island.
I can’t relate to that sorry - because my family operates a lil differently (not saying its better or worst)
But , when I was away from the islands and came home for visits , if I told my family I was going to stay somewhere else at a B&B Oh boy -they would of got insulted...and I wouldn't of heard the end of it.
So not all families look for additional living quarters while on the islands - lots of the local families open the doors to their families and friends of their visiting family members and love to entertain guests its part of our culture and the Aloha Spirit and would get insulted if you would stay elsewhere.. But then again every family is different.

I think everyone is flip flopping on the issues lumping the illegal with the legal businesses. Let's just say to get rid of the illegal businesses...period.

If you start getting into the legal businesses, then you're talking about the care homes, home offices, etc. as well as the B&B's.

I think many of the attitudes expressed on this website just stoke hostile attitudes towards visitors. I grew up in Kailua, went to all grade schools in Kailua, my family owned two businesses in Kailua, my Grandparents bought one of the first homes built in Kailua, so I'm pretty sure my family was around in Kailua long before many of you "residents". And yet, when I come home to visit with friends and take them to Kailua beach, I've had people tell them "haole go home". Growing up in Kailua I always thought of it and the people to be the most friendly place, that is until I returned from college with friends.

I appreciate that residents of Kailua want to maintain its character. I listen to my Grandparents complain about the traffic and how expensive everything is constantly. But there are many reasons for why Kailua is changing and blaming tourists or B&B's isn't going to solve anything.

Probably the biggest change is from rising home values which has caused many long time residents to cash out and sell to more wealthy mainland residents who are buying second homes.

You want to blame tourist, but why don't you blame the sell out residents who have sold their homes to make a profit and given them to people who only use them a few weeks of the year as vacation homes.

But I suppose its just easier to vilify tourists rather than your own neighbors and friends who have sold their homes, changing the demographics of Kailua's population.

Just because someone is against an illegal business in a residential district that is for accommodating tourists doesn't mean that anybody is anti-tourist.. nor that this site is promoting anti tourism..

There is a place for everything and that is why things were zoned that way..Businesses in business districts / Residential in residential districts.
And who's blaming the tourist?????? This is about those people with so called "second homes".. Who a higher percentage are actually are not people but businesses running illegal businesses..and its not their second home but probably 20th business .

You know whats funny I happen to know two people on this site who I just met recently and they were visitors to the islands - "TOURISTS" Aloha u two (((hugs))) Mahalo for sharing and caring too!
They been contributing to this site including photos amongst other ways... So Dont try to turn this into a racial predjudice thing please because it is not like that at all.. and btw not all tourists are haole they are japanese , korean , german , papolo etc.. Gosh I wish they were all haole then it would be easier to give driving directions..Actually LOL the Japanese understood my directions better than the haole ones today.(poor people I think I made their map more confusing than it already was..LOL )

Another person who is a well known musician said "I support your cause and wish I was able to be there to help" these are not locals but as you say Haoles..

Not all tourist either like the changes in Kailua they see what is going on . Especially those who are from like California because big developers did the the same thing over there where they lived..
On the ABOUT.com site there is an article I'll get the link even he sees it ....So its not just a local thing blaming the tourist.
This TOPIC of this discussion is ILLEGAL B&B and Vacation Rentals are ruining Kailua -- and yes they are !!! The reasons of why and how they are ruining are listed in the numerous posts and I think it even says it's not the tourist fault so if anything we are making the public aware that its not the tourists fault but the ILLEGAL BUSINESSES fault and they should be penalized and fined so heavy that they should lose their so called "second homes" for failure to abide by laws! Just as they do to ILLEGAL drug houses they seize the property - same should be done.
And these businesses are the ones that are putting the TOURIST at risk and at harm because they are not fully protected and in case of a natural disaster they have no disaster mitigation plan set up for their protection!

I too am happy there are organizations that are out to preserve and protect our island our town and alot of other causes. It is people like this that donate their time and try to make a positive change and keep things running well balanced and in the Right direction and not just the direction of the pocket book. GREED is RUINING KAILUA that what it comes down to it holds no race color or time one resided in Kailua..

racket is an illegal business, usually run as part of organized crime. Engaging in a racket is called racketeering or making a racket.

Several forms of racket exist. The best-known is the protection racket, in which criminals demand money from businesses in exchange for the service of "protection" against crimes that the racketeers themselves instigate if unpaid. A second well known example is the numbers racket, a form of illegal lottery.

The term racket comes from the Italian word ricatto (blackmail) and is also used as a pejorative term for legitimate businesses. Typically, this usage is based on the example of the "protection racket" and indicates that the speaker believes that the business is making money by selling a solution to a problem that it created (or that it intentionally allows to continue to exist), specifically so that continuous purchases of the solution are always needed. Racket businesses in the past have been noted to be hidden in different parts of buildings, perhaps most notibly in basement areas.

The term was also used to describe the lavish parties thrown by gangs (circa 1850) located in the Five Points (New York City). Corrupt politicians sold tickets to these parties through coercion and threatening ultimatums.

[edit] United States of America
On October 15, 1970, the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (18 U.S.C. §§ 1961-1968), commonly referred to as the "RICO Act", became law. The RICO Act allowed law enforcement to charge a person or group with racketeering, defined as committing multiple violations of certain varieties within a 10 year period. The purpose of the RICO Act was stated as "the elimination of the infiltration of organized crime and racketeering into legitimate organizations operating in interstate commerce." S.Rep. No. 617, 91st Cong., 1st Sess. 76 (1969). However, the statute is sufficiently broad to encompass illegal activities relating to any enterprise affecting interstate or foreign commerce. Section 1961(10) of Title 18 provides that the Attorney General may designate any department or agency to conduct investigations authorized by the RICO statute and such department or agency may use the investigative provisions of the statute or the investigative power of such department or agency otherwise conferred by law. Absent a specific designation by the Attorney General, jurisdiction to conduct investigations for violations of 18 U.S.C. § 1962 lies with the agency having jurisdiction over the violations constituting the pattern of racketeering activity listed in 18 U.S.C. § 1961.

In The United States of America, civil racketeering laws are also used in their federal and state courts. The National Federation of Independent Business has challenged these civil laws for being excessively abusive.

I have to say that I agree with 313. Sometimes (and I'm sure it's not intentional) it does sound a bit hostile on this site towards tourists whether they are staying in Kailua or not. We definitely don't want to stoke the fires of prejudice here like in the case of the guy who got beat up in Nanakuli earlier this month.

So just concentrate on the illegal B&B's and leave it at that.

The people who bought property (whether they live in Hawaii or not) and are using it legally are lawful homeowners. No one should chastise them for that. Now if there are those that are using it ILLEGALLY, then they should be punished based on the law.

That's what I meant about the flip flopping earlier. For some reason many of the comments start off talking about the illegal B&B's and then change into a tourist bashing and future development (only the good ones) crusade.

I agree somewhat too we are all guilty of bashing someone now and then ... its not good to bash the locals either.. because one person says "go home Haole" it doesn't mean all locals at Kailua Beach are doing that .. what message does that send? It's sad what happened down in Nanakuli too.

But I'll try to keep focused on the ILLEGAL OPERATIONS - cuz I can see how one spark can light a whole forest a blaze.

So yeah I will take that into consideration and thanks for your input u 2.. I'm finishing up on a new version of Kailua Speaks Out.. almost done..
where it is more educational and interactive and each topic page will have its own message board ( to keep topic conversation more orderly) ..
So if you have any ideas send em to me..

Actually, I had an idea maybe to let a club of childrn (teens) run and operate the site.. I got a few of them myself..
Maybe like the Boys & Girls Club..Or maybe a few from children from each school make a club out of it... I would volunteer my time to work with a few of them for a community project.
I'll probably going to be putting the new site up within a few days or maybe tommorow if I heal from my nite out ....gosh this red does hurt the eyes and head LOL ........thanks Baht you been a real help through all this.

After failing badly in their attempt to infiltrate the Kailua Neighborhood Board, the illegal vacation rental crowd backed Ruth Cates for the Board of the Lanikai Community Association. She was not elected either.The Lanikai Board membership now appears to be solidly pro-resident.

Does anybody know if there are any new updates on what is being done on ENFORCING and ceasing the current Alleged Illegal businesses that are operating presently and preventing new ones from opening?

Why is it that they don't treat this as a more criminal activity? and why can't they go as far as confiscating the home or aka business or at least put leins on them?
I just think that minimal amount of daily fines per day is like a pay-off fee for them to continue to operate and is a drop in the bucket to what they charge daily for some of these homes.. It's surely not enough to discourage them from operating or opening up new ones.
It just seems like this has been going on a LOOOONG time and instead of seeing a decrease in these illegal activities it seems to be increasing .

Here is a better question Can a community at whole put a suit against a business like this and use our own investigators and gather evidence?
maybe this would help and deter these people from setting up shops here?

Like a class action suit I think they call it.

***Here Is An Article Submitted By A Viewer***
Thanks For Your Submissions............

Hotels' loss is illegal rentals' gain
Letter To Editor by Stann W. Reiziss (Kailua)
CLICK BELOW ARTICLE TO READ
STAR BULLETIN - July 8th 2007 "Hotels' loss is illegal rentals' gain">