Kailua Speaks Out - Forum

Please feel free to post - Use The "Reply" Button

Kailua Speaks Out - Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Illegal B&B’s and Vacation Rentals are Ruining Kailua!

I think many of the attitudes expressed on this website just stoke hostile attitudes towards visitors. I grew up in Kailua, went to all grade schools in Kailua, my family owned two businesses in Kailua, my Grandparents bought one of the first homes built in Kailua, so I'm pretty sure my family was around in Kailua long before many of you "residents". And yet, when I come home to visit with friends and take them to Kailua beach, I've had people tell them "haole go home". Growing up in Kailua I always thought of it and the people to be the most friendly place, that is until I returned from college with friends.

I appreciate that residents of Kailua want to maintain its character. I listen to my Grandparents complain about the traffic and how expensive everything is constantly. But there are many reasons for why Kailua is changing and blaming tourists or B&B's isn't going to solve anything.

Probably the biggest change is from rising home values which has caused many long time residents to cash out and sell to more wealthy mainland residents who are buying second homes.

You want to blame tourist, but why don't you blame the sell out residents who have sold their homes to make a profit and given them to people who only use them a few weeks of the year as vacation homes.

But I suppose its just easier to vilify tourists rather than your own neighbors and friends who have sold their homes, changing the demographics of Kailua's population.

Just because someone is against an illegal business in a residential district that is for accommodating tourists doesn't mean that anybody is anti-tourist.. nor that this site is promoting anti tourism..

There is a place for everything and that is why things were zoned that way..Businesses in business districts / Residential in residential districts.
And who's blaming the tourist?????? This is about those people with so called "second homes".. Who a higher percentage are actually are not people but businesses running illegal businesses..and its not their second home but probably 20th business .

You know whats funny I happen to know two people on this site who I just met recently and they were visitors to the islands - "TOURISTS" Aloha u two (((hugs))) Mahalo for sharing and caring too!
They been contributing to this site including photos amongst other ways... So Dont try to turn this into a racial predjudice thing please because it is not like that at all.. and btw not all tourists are haole they are japanese , korean , german , papolo etc.. Gosh I wish they were all haole then it would be easier to give driving directions..Actually LOL the Japanese understood my directions better than the haole ones today.(poor people I think I made their map more confusing than it already was..LOL )

Another person who is a well known musician said "I support your cause and wish I was able to be there to help" these are not locals but as you say Haoles..

Not all tourist either like the changes in Kailua they see what is going on . Especially those who are from like California because big developers did the the same thing over there where they lived..
On the ABOUT.com site there is an article I'll get the link even he sees it ....So its not just a local thing blaming the tourist.
This TOPIC of this discussion is ILLEGAL B&B and Vacation Rentals are ruining Kailua -- and yes they are !!! The reasons of why and how they are ruining are listed in the numerous posts and I think it even says it's not the tourist fault so if anything we are making the public aware that its not the tourists fault but the ILLEGAL BUSINESSES fault and they should be penalized and fined so heavy that they should lose their so called "second homes" for failure to abide by laws! Just as they do to ILLEGAL drug houses they seize the property - same should be done.
And these businesses are the ones that are putting the TOURIST at risk and at harm because they are not fully protected and in case of a natural disaster they have no disaster mitigation plan set up for their protection!

I too am happy there are organizations that are out to preserve and protect our island our town and alot of other causes. It is people like this that donate their time and try to make a positive change and keep things running well balanced and in the Right direction and not just the direction of the pocket book. GREED is RUINING KAILUA that what it comes down to it holds no race color or time one resided in Kailua..

racket is an illegal business, usually run as part of organized crime. Engaging in a racket is called racketeering or making a racket.

Several forms of racket exist. The best-known is the protection racket, in which criminals demand money from businesses in exchange for the service of "protection" against crimes that the racketeers themselves instigate if unpaid. A second well known example is the numbers racket, a form of illegal lottery.

The term racket comes from the Italian word ricatto (blackmail) and is also used as a pejorative term for legitimate businesses. Typically, this usage is based on the example of the "protection racket" and indicates that the speaker believes that the business is making money by selling a solution to a problem that it created (or that it intentionally allows to continue to exist), specifically so that continuous purchases of the solution are always needed. Racket businesses in the past have been noted to be hidden in different parts of buildings, perhaps most notibly in basement areas.

The term was also used to describe the lavish parties thrown by gangs (circa 1850) located in the Five Points (New York City). Corrupt politicians sold tickets to these parties through coercion and threatening ultimatums.

[edit] United States of America
On October 15, 1970, the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (18 U.S.C. §§ 1961-1968), commonly referred to as the "RICO Act", became law. The RICO Act allowed law enforcement to charge a person or group with racketeering, defined as committing multiple violations of certain varieties within a 10 year period. The purpose of the RICO Act was stated as "the elimination of the infiltration of organized crime and racketeering into legitimate organizations operating in interstate commerce." S.Rep. No. 617, 91st Cong., 1st Sess. 76 (1969). However, the statute is sufficiently broad to encompass illegal activities relating to any enterprise affecting interstate or foreign commerce. Section 1961(10) of Title 18 provides that the Attorney General may designate any department or agency to conduct investigations authorized by the RICO statute and such department or agency may use the investigative provisions of the statute or the investigative power of such department or agency otherwise conferred by law. Absent a specific designation by the Attorney General, jurisdiction to conduct investigations for violations of 18 U.S.C. § 1962 lies with the agency having jurisdiction over the violations constituting the pattern of racketeering activity listed in 18 U.S.C. § 1961.

In The United States of America, civil racketeering laws are also used in their federal and state courts. The National Federation of Independent Business has challenged these civil laws for being excessively abusive.

I have to say that I agree with 313. Sometimes (and I'm sure it's not intentional) it does sound a bit hostile on this site towards tourists whether they are staying in Kailua or not. We definitely don't want to stoke the fires of prejudice here like in the case of the guy who got beat up in Nanakuli earlier this month.

So just concentrate on the illegal B&B's and leave it at that.

The people who bought property (whether they live in Hawaii or not) and are using it legally are lawful homeowners. No one should chastise them for that. Now if there are those that are using it ILLEGALLY, then they should be punished based on the law.

That's what I meant about the flip flopping earlier. For some reason many of the comments start off talking about the illegal B&B's and then change into a tourist bashing and future development (only the good ones) crusade.

I agree somewhat too we are all guilty of bashing someone now and then ... its not good to bash the locals either.. because one person says "go home Haole" it doesn't mean all locals at Kailua Beach are doing that .. what message does that send? It's sad what happened down in Nanakuli too.

But I'll try to keep focused on the ILLEGAL OPERATIONS - cuz I can see how one spark can light a whole forest a blaze.

So yeah I will take that into consideration and thanks for your input u 2.. I'm finishing up on a new version of Kailua Speaks Out.. almost done..
where it is more educational and interactive and each topic page will have its own message board ( to keep topic conversation more orderly) ..
So if you have any ideas send em to me..

Actually, I had an idea maybe to let a club of childrn (teens) run and operate the site.. I got a few of them myself..
Maybe like the Boys & Girls Club..Or maybe a few from children from each school make a club out of it... I would volunteer my time to work with a few of them for a community project.
I'll probably going to be putting the new site up within a few days or maybe tommorow if I heal from my nite out ....gosh this red does hurt the eyes and head LOL ........thanks Baht you been a real help through all this.

After failing badly in their attempt to infiltrate the Kailua Neighborhood Board, the illegal vacation rental crowd backed Ruth Cates for the Board of the Lanikai Community Association. She was not elected either.The Lanikai Board membership now appears to be solidly pro-resident.

Does anybody know if there are any new updates on what is being done on ENFORCING and ceasing the current Alleged Illegal businesses that are operating presently and preventing new ones from opening?

Why is it that they don't treat this as a more criminal activity? and why can't they go as far as confiscating the home or aka business or at least put leins on them?
I just think that minimal amount of daily fines per day is like a pay-off fee for them to continue to operate and is a drop in the bucket to what they charge daily for some of these homes.. It's surely not enough to discourage them from operating or opening up new ones.
It just seems like this has been going on a LOOOONG time and instead of seeing a decrease in these illegal activities it seems to be increasing .

Here is a better question Can a community at whole put a suit against a business like this and use our own investigators and gather evidence?
maybe this would help and deter these people from setting up shops here?

Like a class action suit I think they call it.

***Here Is An Article Submitted By A Viewer***
Thanks For Your Submissions............

Hotels' loss is illegal rentals' gain
Letter To Editor by Stann W. Reiziss (Kailua)
CLICK BELOW ARTICLE TO READ
STAR BULLETIN - July 8th 2007 "Hotels' loss is illegal rentals' gain">