Please feel free to post - Use The "Reply" Button

Kailua Speaks Out - Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Positions on Kailua and Tourism

Baht Gwain

Thank you for answering the questions. Based upon your answers, I will try to summarize your positions and add my own commentary;

(1.) You DO believe illegal vacation rentals and B&B’s should be shut down. (I AGREE with you. Any illegal B&B or vacation rental operating in a residential neighborhood without a “non-conforming use” certificates must be shut down today!)

(2.) You believe Kailua residential zoned neighborhoods should remain residential-use only and not allow any additional “non-conforming use” certificates for visitor accommodation businesses such as hotels, motels, B&B’s and vacation rentals. (I also AGREE with you. We already have over 70 legal grandfathered visitor accommodation businesses in Kailua. This may be a few too many, but hopefully due to attrition, the number will decrease over time.)

(3.) You DO NOT believe the recent increasing number of tourist-oriented businesses in Kailua’s commercial district is happening because of the increasing number of vacationers staying or visiting Kailua. (I DISAGREE with your analysis. Possibly, I have lived in Kailua longer than you, but in my opinion, there has been a significant increase in the number of businesses whose business model is focusing on tourists as a significant share of their business. You even cited businesses such as “So Kailua” and “Global Village” are possibly targeting the tourist market. The only rational reason for these changes is the increase number of tourist visiting or staying in Kailua.)

(4.) You DO NOT believe the increasing number of visitor accommodation business in Kailua’s residential zone neighborhoods and the increasing number of tourist-oriented businesses in Kailua’s commercial district is changing the residential character of our community. (I DISAGREE with you on this point. We have an estimated 400 to 500+ visitor accommodation businesses located in Kailua and numerous new retail stores whose business models are design to market products to tourists. These tourism related visitor accommodations and retail businesses that focus on the tourist market are changing the residential character of our community because they are present in our community. This point can be support by the facts that a record number of complaints have been filed against illegal vacation rentals and B&B’s and many in the community have voiced their opinions at the neighborhood board meetings and in letters to the editor that they believe market forces are transforming Kailua into a tourist town.)

(5.) You DO believe Kailua should be a residential community, but you DO NOT believe Kailua is being transformed into a tourist town by market forces. (I AGREE with you wholeheartedly that Kailua should remain a residential community, but I DISAGREE with you regarding it being transformed into a tourist town. There are over 500,000 websites advertising visitor accommodation businesses in Kailua. The travel advice website “www.tripadvisor.com” rated Kailua as the 2nd hottest tourist destination in the U.S. for 2007. It’s estimated over 40% of the homes sold in Kailua in the last two years were purchased as second homes and many of them were converted from residences to illegal visitor accommodation businesses. In my opinion, there are definitely market forces transforming our residential community into a tourist town.)

(6.) You DO NOT believe there is a “Black and White” answer to having Kailua remain a residential community and not be transformed into a tourist town. (I DISAGREE with you. There are clear and simple “Black and White” answers to this problem. The answers are; (1.) Shut down all of the illegal vacation rentals and B&B’s today. (2.) Do not allow any additional legal visitor accommodation businesses in Kailua. These are the only viable and legal solutions our community true has to achieve this objective. The purpose of zoning laws is to determine the land uses for a community. By strictly enforcing and preserving our residential zoned neighborhoods, we can protect the residential character of our community).

One comment you made is very puzzling to me. You stated “open and honest dialogue with both sides actually willing to take concessions one way or the other is the best policy”.

What "side" or "who" do you think the residential community should be having a dialogue with? And what compromises would you propose?

If you are talking about having a dialog with the illegal vacation rental and B&B owners and operators, I am not sure what good that will do. You had stated earlier that we should shut down illegal businesses and Kailua residential neighborhoods should remain “residential-use” only and NO ADDITIONAL “non-conforming use” certificates for visitor accommodation businesses such as B&B’s and vacation rentals should be issued. So the only solution or compromise available is for the illegal vacation rental and B&B operators to stop their illegal activities and relocate their business to commercial zoned areas.

Thank you for your comments and allowing me to express mine.

Re: Kailua Better Than Waimanalo - WHY

Kano,
To bad you weren't a candidate for the neighborhood board, you would have my vote !

Hey Kano,
Ever think of running for the neighborhood board?
You'd have my vote !!

Sorry about the double posting...

I really don't know why you're persuing this whole issue. You asked me some questions and I answered them. I really don't care what your opinion is because they are yours and I respect that.

What I don't respect is you calling me out for my honest answers and then twisting them around to fit your agenda. This is a great an honest forum for differing opinions. Not the Bill O' Reilly show.

Baht,
the whole problem with this board is that there are only a few different people posting under numerous names. Hence the reason they are always slipping up by confusing each others names when they are responding. The one thing to look for is the purposeful change in tone, while paragraph structure remains the same.

Nic,
If you had brains, you'd be dangerous..
And if you had common sense, you'd be blessed.

I thought I would take the opportunity to visit this website after hearing a few people talk about it at starbucks a few weeks ago. After reading some of the posts I was initially amused, then troubled. I made a few posts and offended a few people, but it was still interesting.

What I did not expect was to hear people at a community meeting a few days ago talking about this site and those who run it. Well after being a little "niele" and listening in on their conversation, it all makes a little more sense now. Seemed like this older person was quite privy about what is going on. There also seemed to be a lot of resentment and accusations regarding certain illegal fraudulent mailings dealing with neighborhood board elections emanating from individuals who use/operate this website.

I guess there are some interested individuals who visit this site, but do no post. scary

Nic
I was just wondering, on another posting you were kind enough to share with us your time schedule...

Quite unique that you are able to fit in Starbucks and Eavesdropping between your busy schedule....

But hey, if you can master time management...
Props to you.

Working people do not have time to cruise in starbucks, etc.........

Hey Nic,
Remember this post you submitted on April 7, 2007 at 12:38pm under the topic.." Talk about Kailua Beach?"

"Working people do not have time to cruise in starbucks, jamba juice, borders, etc. Life is not about fun and games. Times are changing and nobody can stop change (maybe slow it a little). The key is to not be left behind."

Re: TALK ABOUT KAILUA BEACH

And now there is barely a fish in the bay. The Kalama's no longer live in Kailua (except for 2 of them) because everyone had to move away to make a living. The beach is eroding and all you see are the ugly roots of Pine and Ironwood trees that will soon be removed.

These are all natural changes. My kids wont ever be able to talk about how they ran up and down the soft white sand on the beach because the sand is no longer white or soft. They wont be able to talk about jumping off the little rocks of the boat ramp because those rocks are buried under the sand.

My kids will be far too busy talking about how they had to bust their okole in school because they know that if they want to continue to live in Kailua, that they need to get a good education and a good job.

I don't know what fantasy world you are all living in, or maybe you are just filthy rich, but the working people do not have the opportunity to enjoy or reflect upon these happy times.

Working people do not have time to cruise in starbucks, jamba juice, borders, etc. Life is not about fun and games. Times are changing and nobody can stop change (maybe slow it a little). The key is to not be left behind.

20% of Hawai'i's residents are one paycheck away from being homeless. For the layperson, that means these people do not have a savings account, and their bills and monthly expenses are either equal to or more than their monthly income.

So while you are all out there trying to stop business growth in kailua, you are hurting your community because you are forcing people to go to town to work. You are limiting their options, if there are no job opportunities in Kailua, then people need to go to town to work. This entails catching the bus or buying a vehicle and incurring more bills. Additionally, you are creating at least 2 hours of travel time( time which they could be spending having "story time") because now they have to drive to town to make ends meet. The list goes on and on.

Could your group be more of the problem, rather than the solution?

Here is my daily schedule:
5:00 Wake up & get ready
5:30 Cook for my kids & have it ready by 6:00
6:00 Wake the kids up, Feed them, Get them ready.
6:30 Leave the house (wife takes kids to school then goes to work)
6:30-7:40 In traffic wasting over an hour in traffic
8:00 Get to work
5:30 Leave work
6:45 Get home after wasting over an hour in traffic
7:00 Cook dinner
7:30 Wife gets home with kids after she works 8 hours (the kids have spent 2 hours in after school care and another 2 hours with their grandparents who are nice enough to watch them. My wife has spend 8 hours working)
7:45 We all eat until 8:15 or so and catch up
8:15-9:00 the kids bathe and unwind.
10:00 - Kids are in bed (wash clothes, dishes etc)
10:30 iron my clothes and pack up my lunch and the kids lunch for the next day and finish up work that I had not finished.
11:30 go to sleep for 5 1/2 hours
5:00 wake up again

I am fortunate I only have one job. It could be much worse. The weekends are spent doing the yard and maybe taking the kids to the beach. Not much time to relax. I am sure you can relate.

OK, Oh2Funny, Kano, and everyone else who is on this posting who has seen to berate me for my beliefs. Let me ask you. How would YOU improve the neighborhood? I'm not talking about just saying "ban B&Bs" I mean an honest answer to how Kailua can evolve.

Tell me how business can grow. Tell me how you feel quality of life can improve. Tell me how we can make it better for the next generation. Tell me how we can improve our infrastructure because our buildings are aging. If you are like me, your home was probably made over 30 years ago. So c'mon and tell me how you would improve things. Then ask yourself how it would be funded. Taxes? Higher rent?

As I mentioned before. I feel that change is coming and so far, I think it's been great. But since everyone like's to respond to my answers. Let's hear yours. No sarcastic comments, no spun rhetoric. Just an honest answer.

Oh2Funny be a part of the solution if you can.

I cannot speak for all neighborhoods, for they all have different problems.
In addition to this, addressing the issues would vary.

Is this a neighborhood that has a drug house, are children picking at your fruit, is there a dog that constantly barks, is the house near you a Bed and Breakfast or a TVU that really has no neighbor?

Communicating with your neighbors and trying to resolve problems as they occur, would be the first step to a improving a neighborhood. If this does not work, follow up by notifying those who can assist you in resolving the matter.
Respecting each other’s property, and keeping an eye out for each other, will reduce crime. (Neighborhood Watch)

When you say evolve, that depends on the changes, or progress you would like to see take place. I would honestly like to see Kailua remain a residential area, without all the overpriced vacation rentals for those who are vacationing here. You drive up cost of rentals in the vicinity, bring in extra traffic, and reduce the amount of vacancies for locals. Businesses in the area then tend to jack up the prices for the “tourist”, however, I will continue to tell them about Aloha Stadium Swap Meet.

I do not wish to see Kailua's Business district a district that caters to tourist.
We need businesses in this community where locals can go too.

Kayak rentals, and other rentals for beach activities are plentiful in Kailua, how many more of these shops do we need?

The state of Hawaii should start a lottery! As it is now, many locals are more than willing to donate mega bucks to the state of Nevada. Our state would benefit and could use the funds for improving the public school system, sewage system, and roads. Our streets and buildings would be able to get the improvements needed without raising taxes.

Oahu, being the most populated in the state of Hawaii, has reached a point beyond return regarding population. Cost of property is not going down, and there is NO way …without raising taxes that residents will prevail.

For the average homeowner in Hawaii we already know that making ends meet are a challenge, those who purchase homes with the intentions of turning them in to vacation rentals, are taking away the feeling of growing up in a neighborhood for many of our keiki's. If we lived in an area that had acres between each other, this would make sense. However, we both know that this is not the situation here on Oahu.

Do you think by bringing in more businesses or allowing residential areas to have B&B;s or TVU’s that this will enhance the lifestyle of this community?
I truly believe, that more residents will be driven out of this community, and our children and grandchildren will suffer the consequences.

Aloha Fellow Kamaaina.

Hmm so far just the same re-hash of your last opinions. Although the gambling thing that's a new one. For someone who advocates quality living, I'm surprised you went with the lottery thing where many people who may not be able to make ends meet would be paying for these Lottery tickets.

Again, let's hear some future plans and not just more of what we "shouldn't" do. What businesses would people like to see? Restaurants...entertainment...youth facility...etc. More nursing homes? More Parks? Allowing kiddie bouncers back on Kailua Beach so that us kamaaina can go back to having fun on it? Better roads? More lights? More police? Druggies off the beach? Tear down Holiday Theatre?

C'mon think a little harder rather than just spending a few minutes on it for a change.

Baht stop being a wise a$$ and if you find that said offensive- tough!!Because you don't seem concerned about offending other people.
Why don't YOU spend a little more time trying to have some respect for others POV'

The answers given to you were honest ones, might not be the ones you wish to hear, or structured to your likings.

Three states; Hawaii, Tennessee, and Utah do not allow gambling, my suggestion that starting a lottery ..would allow the state to receive the funds needed for areas that taxpayers will eventually be charged higher taxes for.

I suppose there is no need for me to respond to your questions. They are not what you want to hear, nor do you respect my opinions.

You wanted honest answers, that's what you got.
I have this weird feeling...that I know who you are.
With that being said, good luck in your endeavors.

Aloha, from Aunty :)

I really don't know what you found offensive in my last posting. I was just asking for others' opinions on how they believe Kailua SHOULD grow. Businesses, restaurants, etc. Look again.

If you took that as offensive in any way then I apologize.

I just thought this was a forum for letting people be able to see how they could improve Kailua. I'm sorry for being mistaken.

So 2Funny. What about your thoughts for Kailua growth? I'm really curious.

I don't think you know me. If you didn't recognize my name, then I don't think so.

Lol...Baht...suppose you catch the bus to work...and borrow someone else's library card to rent books...
Capital Gain...( unless ya ride a bike) or..perhaps..are driving without a license?

Haven't had time to draw out any plans....was enjoying my vacation...and hey besides...you interested in my thoughts?

This subject of Kailua is better than Waimanalo..needs to be deleted

OH and my real name is Santa Claus....Or Tooth Fairy, or Easter Bunny....

Dang did ya miss it? I replied...

Sorry I didn't mean for it to come across as sarcastic. I just meant that if you knew me you would've recognized my name.

Anyhow, sure why not? Of course I'm interested in people's thoughts. This wouldn't be an open forum if I wasn't interested. Everyone asked me how I thought development should go and I answered. I didn't hear any sincere growth plans from you other than bashing my beliefs.

Let me tell you. When you come from a country and family that has nothing, you realize what freedom truly is and that includes freedom of speech.

I put out an honest challenge for you and others to come up with development plans of your own. Why twist it into something mean-spirited?

Excuse me Sir or Ma'am,
My responses to your questions, were sincere.
You keep speaking of another country. Were you not born and raised here? Or am I mistaken?

My native homeland is Thailand.

The thing I hadn't heard from you is what kind of growth and development you would like to see in Kailua. That's all.

My native homeland is Hawaii, as is my husbands, and my parents, and my grandparents.

By the year 2044, there will not be a single soul who is pure Hawaiian living on this island. Their native homeland. Therefore, for those of us whose homeland is Hawaii and wish to see some changes in the direction of the growth that is taking place be stopped or corrected, is that a bad thing?

Want to help the elderly? Why not put up a senior citizen complex in the area where condos are planned?

We offer programs for the youth of this community and don't even have enough parking to accommodate spectators. ( Kailua Park for One)

Try to go there when soccer, little league, or Kalaheo High School home games are being played.
At least someone had some knowledge to put a restroom up so the kids didn't have to run across the field to use the restrooms at the Recreation Center.

Kailua Beach,Camp Kailani, and residents who were moved out to extend and beautify the park.. Yes the park is beautiful, Bike Lanes Put in...that many Bikers don't even utilize, they remain riding on the narrow road on Kawailoa and Lanikai. No one thought that parking stall should have been included in these plans? Pavilions added there for family functions, but where do the visitors park...

Many groups have fond memories of Camp Kailani, which should have not been torn down.

The old Foodland in Kailua, where Island snow is now...that area was not TORN down to make way for a nice, newer building...they took what they had, and created many office spaces for others. ( They did buy out the home next door to make a parking lot.)

They paved paradise...and put up a parking lot.. remember that song?

Restoration, is not a bad thing.
If you want growth and development thinking that jobs will be created for many individuals, how many jobs do you think each individual will need to work to be able to reside in this community?

Outsourcing is already creating problems in our Country and affecting many individuals. If I am not mistaken, many individuals from Hawaiian Tel have recently lost jobs, due to outsourcing.

Before more businesses are established in Kailua, with new structures, I think problems that exist now should be corrected first.

What problems? Parking mainly...
Oh, I did not realize FHB was where Starbucks is now,
I thought it was Hawaii National Bank?
I know the Kailua Post Office once was where Brents is now.

I would really hate to see parking structures erected upwards, like the one at Longs.
The only beauty in that structure, is the artwork that was created. I am sure that if I think long and hard enough I would come up with a plan for the old Holiday Theater, besides tearing it down. I'll be thinking on that one.

Enough said....

I forgive you for your lapse of judgement.

Hope your father is okay. GB

See now those are good constructive ideas.

So you say we need more parking but no structures and paving. Any ideas on where to put a parking lot as you suggest?

Donate if you can.
http://www.bgch.com/dsp-donate.htm

Oh, I'm so elated that you approve........

I am not an engineer, nor a architect.. I am quite sure those who have the expertise in this area, are capable to come up with an idea that would blend in with the current parking lot.

I think that it is rather odd that the vendors from open market, set their stalls up on the parking lot, leaving customers to park on the grassy area, and across the street from the parking lot, would make more sense that they set up on the grassy area,(in the field) and leave the parking lot for those who come to shop...

Back to the parking...both sides of Kailua Recreation Park, have room to extend parking....

As for Kailua Beach Park, the same situation...extend both sides of the park ( near Buzz's and Lanikai end)

p.s. I never mentioned paving...as you stated.

I just found out about this website and would like to express my observations.

From Sabrinacrk Apr 10th, 2007 - 8:45 PM: The developement of Kailua by Kaneohe Ranch to put more money in thier pockets before the trust desolves at any exspence to the town of Kailua and it's residence is the real issue. Building Rodeo Drive stores, charging super high rents, and on top of it taking a percerntage of the businesses gross so the trust can be as wealthy as possible before it dissolves is what it is about. What about all the small businesses that have been here for years being closed down to make room for more beautiful buildings.

To Sabrinack FYI:
It is The Harold K L Castle Foundation Trust who owns the land and it’s subsidiary Kaneohe Ranch that manages the properties. In any business, the objective is to make money or why be in business and yes money to be put in the trust as well The trust is not dissolving adverse to your statement. The trust is written to go on forever. But the HUGE difference when you make this kind of money is what you do with this money. The income that is generated by these properties have been given back to help the community. Since the foundations founding in 1962, The Harold K L Foundation has awarded more than $143 million dollars in grants with more than $50 million to the windward side. The Foundation’s current investments are focused on public education redesign and enhancement, nearshore marine resource conservation, and strengthening the communities of Windward Oahu.
Mr Castle has donated his land to what was Hwaii Loa College (HPU), Castle Hospital, Kainalu Elementary, Castle High School, Iolani.
That ‘s the differece in a person such as Mr Castle making money but giving a whole lot back to the betterment of the community
I don’t see any kind of Rodeo Dr shops here and see any higher rents that are not even close. In retail, it’s common practice for both landlord and lessee to agree on gross vs percentage rent.
Please provide an example of a small businesses that have been here for years being closed down to make room for more beautiful buildings as I don’t know of any off hand..
To the question of what I would like to see in Kailua :
1. Kailua lacks restraunt outdoor eating. Along the Marsh along Hamakua build a bike /walk path from Windward boats and all the way to the homes past horse stables. Redevelop existing building into mix uses retail/office but facing the marsh and also has outdoor seating for a good mix of different restraunts.
Right now we have some mixed use that ‘s kind of unslightly along that stretch and we can turn it into something attractive but not intruvise to the wildlife , that would be great.

2. A real good local kind saimin stand….not the ramen kind
3. The parking issue. They had to build a structure to accomondate the employees of Macy’s and Long’s. and more importantly the customers. There was no parking available. I don’t know what’s worse, a parking structure that has a smaller footprint and goes up or a larger footprint and is spread out with more pavement.

I agree.

Mmmm someone that talks my language food :)
Think a saimin place would be great investment for Kailua, It's something that all would enjoy!
Someone told me of a place on the outer islands that they give you the basic saimin then like a buffet you add the fixin's
Something like that would be affordable and enjoyable..Even though Kailua has a lot of outdoor eating areas like Lucy's,
Zia's , Bachi Bistro, Big City Diner, Brents, K&K , Boston Pizza , Mokes bread and breakfast.. plus more - which I enjoy
more than the ones that are more acknowledged as fine dining.
We sure do have lots of options for eating in Kailua which is great - puts a few pounds on me thats for sure. LOL

It's funny you wrote about Kaneohe Ranch - I was just reading an article regarding Kaneohe Ranch and their plans for "A New Kailua"
So questions were popping into my head - I've been known to write alot (smirk) but, I got lot of questions and want to be corrected
because I'm not really into all the politics and stuff been just taking a crash course and I hear lots of different view points of various issues
so please feel free to correct me - Thanks for stopping in too... I been writing the below thing for a couple days didn't pull it all out my head in a couple hours...Figure I post it here since you mentioned about Kaneohe Ranch.
The article I'm refering to is:
Honolulu Star Bulletin - Sunday, January 5, 2003 - "A new Kailua -Kaneohe Ranch wants to remake its properties,and increase business"
The way this message board is set up I need to put the link at the end of everything.. so it's below.. thanks

As far as Kaneohe Ranch/Castle giving to our community, sure they
contributed and contributes a lot to the community..
But, on the other hand when somebody has that much power and owns practically
the whole business district of Kailua, their decisions affect all of us in the community.
With the ownership and control of most of the land in our business district in the town of Kailua,
they have the power to set the economic direction of the town, this includes business rents, business practices,
business relationships and the type of businesses available to all of us.
However, my question is "Can Kailua's economy grow and prosper if the workforce can’t afford to live here?"
If Kaneohe Ranch did not own all that they own, but just a little piece of it, do you feel that their new designs for Kailua
would be targeted to attract "quality visitors"?
What are "Quality visitors"?
Are the residents of this town not "Quality Residents" ? What do we need with "Quality Visitors"?
Unless of course having "Quality Residents" is not enough or perhaps there are not enough
"Quality Residents" for Kaneohe Ranch or perhaps they don't even consider us as "Quality Residents"
or perhaps they don't consider residents at all.
Does "Quality vistiors" mean "people with money" with more disposable income and money to spend
in a "tourist playground"? Is this the direction that Kaneohe Ranch is taking?
Can we as residents afford to live in our own town in the near future? Do we want to pay higher prices
at the grocery stores or local eateries because they price according to what they believe
"Quality visitors" will pay? Do we as local residents lose out because the "Quality visitors"
are more important?
Since this article was written, much of what Kaneohe Ranch had planned at that time has come to be.
Indeed we are seeing more visitors, many more visitors. The "Quality visitors" are here in force, enticed
by the makover of Kailua and the sudden proliferation of "Illegal Vacation Rentals" advertised on the Internet.
Is this is the end result of Kaneohe Ranch's Master Plan for Kailua or is it the beginning?
But, after all business is business and all businesses work together to help the other businesses and this is why many think that the
alleged Illegal B&B / Tvu's and lots of the NEW KAILUA businesses along with Kaneohe Ranch are on a lil journey to turn our town
into a resort town...who benefits ?? Their Businesses! Surely, not us residents!

We are not against visitors, tourists, coming to Kailua - we just don't want our town to be changed such that they are more important
than us residents. The decisions that Kaneohe Ranch makes for its land in Kailua affects not only the businesses but also all of
the residents, "Quality" or not of Kailua. If Kaneohe Ranch wants input from the community, don't only seek this input from the "ladies"
of Kailua (Who are these ladies anyways, ladies with unlimited credit cards?), but also from the long time residents, the lower income residents,
the mom and pop shops that can't afford to belong to the Chamber of Commerce or other business organizations.
Nothing is wrong with visitors but who decides how many (as many as the market can bear?) and where will all of these visitors stay
(in Illegal vacation rentals while rental housing is in such short supply throughout the island)
(and since Kaneohe Ranch sold off the majority of the lower income housing available in Kailua), and
what will become of us, the residents of Kailua.
Sharing Kailua is one thing, but giving it up to big business is another.

Kailua residents lose when visitors ("Quality visitors") become the primary interest of the largest land owner in town.
This is robbing Peter to pay Paul and unfortunately, Peter can't afford it for long.
That of course is what appears to be happening. Everyone is too intimidated to speak up and this shouldn't be,
I feel it takes the whole community to set a direction for OUR WHOLE TOWN that we call home and not just the
largest landowner..
I do appreciate them giving to our community!

Click here to go to the article that got me thinking

I agree that we must take care of the residents of Kailua first and foremost or what’s the sense of living here.

My response to Kaneohe Ranch was just to get the facts straight. No sense in debating something when the facts are wrong.

More on Kaneohe Ranch.

Several years ago (?), Kaneohe Ranch solicited the Kailua community to attend a handful of “Town Meetings” at Kailua Intermediate. The purpose of these Saturday morning meetings was to get input from the community as to what they wanted for Kailua. It was a great opportunity to hear and express our concerns as well as being very informative. These meetings were pretty well attended.

What people wanted was places to shop instead of driving into town and more of a pedestrian friendly area around the center of Kailua. Remember when the old Long’s was in place? The side of the building facing Kailua Road was just a tall wall and very unattractive. In the new design was implemented a set back for the new store front (CPK, Cold Stone etc) to give a broader sidewalk for pedestrian use and also the new fountain for people to stroll and gather. From what I understand, the same concept of pedestrian friendly walkways will be used through the center of town. I must apologize but I should’ve taken better notes at those meetings but this is what stuck in my head.

I truly believe that Kaneohe Ranch is on the side of the residents.(by the way, I’m for getting rid of the illegal b and b’s) They want to make this not only a better place to live but a comfortable one as well. I especially remember before they renovated the Times Shopping Center façade that I was kind of embarrassed at how our Kailua looked. I was at the Town Party today with my daughter and walked by the Kaneohe Ranch booth. They had a poster board of before and after photos of newly renovated buildings. My daughter and I looked at each other and were so amazed at how much better Kailua looks today. (Those old buildings and facades were pretty ugly in retrospect)

Because those meetings were a while ago and things change, maybe new meetings should be established so that residents can voice their opinions and concerns again as what type of stores we would like as well as whatever topics we would like discussed.

We can’t blame Kaneohe Ranch on the affordability or lack there of in Kailua. They don’t determine the value of our property, the cost of gas, food and other essentials/nonessentials. Factor in the HGET and one of the highest income taxes in the country, it’s the State Legislators more than anyone else.

One last thing on Kaneohe Ranch and the low income housing issue. Kaneohe Ranch held the ground lease on those properties only. It is the responsibility of the building owner to upkeep and maintain the building as well as the property. The entire area was on a septic tank system which was and still inadequate. When we had a heavy rain, Kailua Rd would flood in that area because of the overflow of the septic tanks. (Gross) The US EPA came in and condemned the property stating that everything must be torn down and a sewage system must be put in place. Kaneohe Ranch’s concern was the people in the apartments and trying to come up with some type of alternative place to live after they had to vacate. They looked into the vacant parcel behind Safeway of Hamakua Rd but the neighborhood in that area rejected the idea (NIMBY). Because Kaneohe Ranch’s main investment these days is commercial and not that of residential anymore, they sold the land.

The saimin buffet sounds great by the way!!!!!

Very very true.

I'm glad someone has been doing their homework and deals with facts rather than emotions.

I think all of the improvements have been extremely positive and I can't wait till Fromaggio's opens.

From the success of the Town party with both locals and visitors, it is obvious that the promotion of Kailua is great for local businesses.

Thanks M2 for filling me in I didn't get to attend the meeting at Kailua Intermediate back then.
Its no debating upon the subject - - I was just wondering cuz I had read that article and thats what I got from it - like I said I wrote that a few days ago... thats why I asked figure someone who knew or knew some would respond..
Baht its not about getting all facts straight before you write anything (not being sarcastic but jus stating thats how we can learn - from one another by discussing and asking)but then again someone having knowledge on a particular subject sure does help huh!

Everyone perceives things differently. But when you pick through all emotions any writer has you can get a clearer picture of the facts...

For example my son looked at the Kaneohe Ranch plans and saw it from a totally different perspective..
So he jus stayed there told people look at the Urban plan then they came back to him then he directed them to the Keep It Kailua to sign a petition.
I was shocked cuz usually that son is shy- and not a people type person and he initiated that on his own.. which is great he wasn't forcing his beliefs on others jus telling them to take a look and if their response was negative he would tell them about the petition. So what looks one way to one person can look like a whole different picture to the next.
Nothing wrong with that because we all are different and have our personal likes and dislikes.

I'm glad we took your advice Baht and cancelled the Rally/Sit down and went with the green ribbons, It went great. ( I been sick with the flu - especially after my dads B-day Party guess it sucked what energy I had left so I gave my "I Love Kailua" Pin to my brother who came down to visit my parents for him to enjoy the party)
In Kailua the buildings do look nicer.. gosh wish they could renovate me right now.. I feel all broken down...
But I think many will agree with me that the promotion of Kailua does affect us because everything goes higher.. thats what I was trying to say is the fact that they have THE POWER cuz they do in a sense..
As a property manager I can raise the rent...and that affects the tenant for it takes away that much more per month from them... sure there are regulations on how much in a period of time that I can raise it..but still has an affect on them ..and if they can't afford it I could just get someone else who could afford it.. and that then changes the neighborhood because you higher you go with the rents you get a different class of people. Our tenants now are all family so don't have to worry about that but was jus using it as an example.

Thanks M2 for sharing the information it does educate me and others when we share - You can read articles and stuff like that but you have to sift through the politics of it all..
I know there is a luncheon coming up for Kaneohe Ranch saw it on the Lani-kailua outdoor circle site..
don't know if you know about that yet? Hopefully I can make it would like to attend that and learn more.
Like I said when you learn stuff what you felt or thought on one day changes as you learn or sometimes it don't.
Maybe when I read that article I already had the thoughts of what other people were already telling me things along those line that I targeted in on certain words.. I don't know?
Thats one of the reasons I put together this site so we can feel free to discuss without having to worry about getting the facts together first.
I wasn't doggin' out M2's post or anything.. jus figure hey here is someone who may see it differently that has knowledge on this particular subject!
And then there may be someone else with facts or further knowledge.. together we all learn from just talking story :)
Well have a great day you two and all.. I gotta get back to my bed.
Yes Finn & Aunty (who don't post but reads LOL )
If this don't get better I would go to the doctors as I promised and I'm pumpin' down that water and Nyquil..(knocking on wood) my headache of 4 days went away

FOUND THE LUNCHEON LINK FOR FOLKS WHO ARE INTERESTED
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spring General Membership Meeting
May 31, noon
Kaneohe Yacht Club
Salad Luncheon
Presentation by Kimo Steinwascher, Vice President, Leasing, of Kaneohe Ranch

Here is the link to the Lani-kailua outdoor circle site its under their coming events portion of the site.
Click here to go to their site to learn more