Kailua Speaks Out - Forum

Please feel free to post - Use The "Reply" Button

Kailua Speaks Out - Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kailua Better Than Waimanalo - WHY

At least we live in the 21st Century with a comfortable mix of country living and simple retail. Perfect for new local families.

And Maybe it's because we have jobs.

Re: Kailua Better Than Waimanalo - WHY

well well...there you go you just proved the typical baD Attitude, think your better then people because of race, wealth or social status... 21st century theyre living in it to sir, perhaps lower class citizens just have something that you dont, therefore causing a little jelousy? Most people always feel they need to prove themselves usually because theyre lacking something therefore they try to show off.

I know what Aunty Meant.."Gotta Love dat natural beauty of Waimanalo " & As a local gal myself I know what she means about beaches and neighbors..
This isn't about whether one has jobs or not anyway... This is about ..Keeping Kailua From Turning into A Town worst than it is already!!A WAIKIKI LIKE TOWN .. Some may like it !!! but, alot of the OLD LOCALS & Even tourist DO NOT LIKE THE CHANGE..
Thats not the Attitude we need in here Baht..We don't want to start this to be locals against haole's or anything like that..
And just because one lives in Waimanalo doesn't mean they don't have a job!!
I put up this site so ALL can feel comfortable expressing what is happening and not feel like they have to talk a certain way.
This change in Kailua will also affect those in Waimanalo and all on the island.
Peace Out ~ & Jah Bless All

And by OLD LOCALS I meant people of not a race but people who lived here in KAILUA a long time..

MOST IMPORTANTLY......
"There is more to life than simply increasing its speed."

What a bunch of hypocrites. If you really wanted to keep Kailua the way it was, give it back to the native Hawaiians. Then it will be how it REALLY was before development. Before your homes for your families. Before your quality and standard of living improved.

Or just because you don't think that's the way Kailua should be, that's not what we should do.

I'm glad to hear that you've never gone into any of the stores during Xmas to shop for friends and that instead you're living off your own land since you are so against the Kailua retailers. And that you've never gone into the Zippys to eat or Longs to buy medicine.

Because if you ever did any of those things then YOU are the biggest hypocrites of all.

This group of individuals in this protest rally are not protesting stores and houses and or who's land it really is.. What this group is about is not having Kailua be like Waikiki with the town caterin' to the tourist more than taking care of the "town people" and the town.
This group that will protesting will be of various ethnic backgrounds .. Its not about the United States illegally taking over Hawaii.. It seems you are out to be argumentive and out stir up trouble..Further more I am one person who make up the whole community and nobody should base the group on the outlook on one person in the group.. The GROUP who will be protesting on that date all have different outlooks and matter of opinions.. This group is not associated with any organized group or organization the MARCH will be US THE TOWN PEOPLE who some have lived here for 1 yr or less to people who've lived here for 5 to 10 yrs or those like myself was here for 40+ years
What we the town people are doing that day will be making a statement that WE DONT WANT OUR KAILUA TOWN and yes I said OUR KAILUA TOWN to be turned into a Resort town so developers and those who capitalize off of TOURIST industry turn our whole town into an International Market Place. Look at Waikiki and its crime do I want that around in my neighborhood???
Have a good day Baht

Isn't that a bigoted point of view - comparing residents who have lived here 5 years and less to those who have lived here more than that?

In case you haven't noticed...crime existed even back then.

The only way for a community to grow is with new young families who wish to grow old IN that community. With that requires growth and development. That requires new businesses who need to have customers. the majority of Kailua people don't even shop in town. So if they have to rely on the occassional tourist to do so, what's wrong with that?

Oh but wait, you're right, there are now dozens of tour buses roaring through Town now. PUH-LEEZE - Most of the visitors catch the bus and they go straight to Kailua Beach and back. In fact there's so many locals at the Beach that the tourists couldn't even come en masse if they wanted to.

PLUS in case you haven't noticed...Kailua Town was a much darker and "scarier" place to walk around before the improvements. Or have you forgotten what it was like to walk in the parking lot at Liberty House at night? OR around Holiday Mart with all the delinquents about.

But that's fine .. at the protest don't forget to wear your "We hate young families" or "Aging Communties in Run Down Buildings UNITE!!!" shirts too.

Oh Baht ,
I used years to explain that its not about young old how long we lived here but guess that flew right over your head. I think Kailua has had its positive growth and its negative growth as far as beautification projects and physical features go. And Im thankful that there are many volunteers and organizations that donate their time to better our community - I personally have done volunteer work in various organizations in the past as well as attended Board Meetings.. I think we all should do our part despite our differences in opinions We should work together to ensure that our town is a safe place for all of our families to live and we should put their safety before profiting financially.
As far as all tourist catching "DaBus" nope living ON THE BEACH front I see what comes in my doorfront and it is not "DA BUS" oh pardon me they changed it to "The Bus" it says "Polynesian Culture Center" and other Tour Logos the Sailboat place that is in Kailua beach Center by island snow brings in busloads of tourist too.. and Yes the locals utilize the beach as well as tourist.. Everybody sees those tour buses surprising you haven't..
As far as new families go...Any parent of any age with little children would want whats best for their children that is why lots of people search to live in neighborhoods that are more family orientated rather than a city that is more full of crime. But , well that too is also a decision of choice..but most responsible parents would rather raise their child in a more healty environment. Me I rather have my children in a more country like setting..I love the laid back living !! Dont you?
Gosh they say this whole B&B Vacation Rental is divided into two groups those who are out to profit financially and sell out the town and then on the other side of the fence those who want to keep Kailua a residential community .. After reading articles that you too can read there is a listing of various ones in the NEWS section ...
Well, it seems that the one's who are on the side of the fence that wants this town to turn into a RESORT Town show signs of violent behavior -- throwing eggs , slashing tires,trying to frame people , twist words around and all that jazz.. .. Yup the greed of money does do strange things to people.. It's very sad... Oh and by the yes years ago I wasn't afraid to walk around town did it all the time..
Ah Baht, Life is too short to be all angry - looking outside right now in Hawaii Nei -- It's beautiful the sun is out, beach is awesome- Enjoy life the simple things life is too darn short!! "Hang Loose" I don't want to argue with you - You see things one way I see them another and we just have a difference of opinion. Like Everybody Does.. And thats okay..
Whatever happens we need to just deal with it and hopefully there will be a middle line we all can agree upon so EVERYONE in OUR community is happy .. I'm not going to argue with you anymore you can assume this about me or that and call me names .. you can call me anything you want just don't call me late for dinner :) Going to the meeting tonite ??

Yes I plan to attend with my newly printed "I Love the NEW Kailua" shirt.

I printed enough for everyone who attends and also will be passing them out during the protest.

Although with the war, hunger, poverty, etc. I guess protesting visitors in Kailua takes a higher priority.

GOOD 4 U!

Hey heres a good marketing idea for you --why don't you pass them to your mummys & Daddys visitors that stay in your Illegal Vacation home or B&B.. then they can wear it... WHEN THEY STAY DOWN IN WAIKIKI for their next vacation..

Then instead of handing out lil fancy bars of pineapple soaps and coconut syrup...maybe you can donate the money that goes into that -well you can donate towards a good cause!! Since you seem so worried about it....Then you too can get your priorities straight and help save the world and stop the wars instead of worrying that your allowance will run out when mommy and daddy got to stop their illegal business.

See you at the meeting ~ I'll be sure to look for the one wearing that shirt that says "NEW KAILUA"

This is not about age, race, how long someone has lived in Kailua, other issues that are affecting our lives, or personal issues or defense mechanisms that each of us has. This is about what is happening to Kailua as it becomes more and more commercialized. I grew up here and I left and came back in 1999. Since 1999, I have seen Kailua traffic become the equivalent of Waikiki traffic. I have seen the increase of resort activities. I have seen the lack of concern about how these increases affect local (those who live here) Kailuans in their daily life including how it affects me. I object to commercializing without inclusion of local Kailuans. Now Kailuans do have the opportunity to participate through forums such as the Kailua Neighborhood Board, however, when you see the Boards' views or ideas ignored blatantly by the tour companies who consistently run full size buses through Lanikai, who consistently unload buses bull of tourists at the boat ramp, you wonder - How do we get heard? The frustration of seeing the opportunists taking advantage of our lack of action and making our lives more difficult grows and creates of sense of not mattering when we should matter as residents, old or young, new or long=time, whateva race/ethnicity. I love Kailua. I love the neighborhoods and I have lived in almost all of them. I love the people, locals, military, newcomers, etc. But when I can't get out of the boat ramp parking lot for 2 hours because of tourist buses unloading and then backing out again to allow another bus in to unload, it has become an uncontrolled annoyance and frustration. The State and the City and Country have certain laws regarding tourism and tourist activities, but if these issues are covered, they are not enforced. The same holds true with B&Bs' and vacation rentals. Those that have followed the law, more power to them, but the majority have not followed the law and are not licensed and should not be actively renting on this basis. This again disrupts our daily lives and needs more enforcement. It is time to make the leaders of Kailua and the entire Island of Oahu aware of the problems created by uncontrolled rampant tourist activities in residentila neighborhoods. They should not be allowed, these activities need to be brought to the attention of those who seem to be ignoring them. If the only way that the spotlight can be brought upon these wrong, illegal and arrogant activities is to protest, then I will be there!

Boy you folks need a vacation. Maybe in a nice B&B.

For your next vacation, I hope the people where you go are as nice and hospitable as you are to them. And I mean that in the best possible way

Baht,

Sometimes you need to take the blinders off and realize that we are not alone in this issue...and others who are going through what Kailua is going through now can tell us that the bad outweighs the good in turning Kailua town into a resort town.
People who are blinded by Greed forget that you can't step on people to get ahead. Your ignorance in this matter just shows what type of person you are .. You know what this message board / site is about - Even though you are welcome here - Everyone is welcome- You continue to bash our feelings in the matter!!
Your initial entrance to this board was rude and you continue to show people that you are stuck in your ways and unable to see in others viewpoints.
Hey everyones got an opinion but that doesn't mean just because we don't see things same way that either of us is wrong.
The majority of people in Kailua does not want it to be a RESORT town.. we didn't say we don't welcome tourist - I don't know what you are trying to prove by being beligerent and just a jerk!!!
I have nothing further to say to you and hope one day when you have children you will know where many of us families are coming from and why we firmly believe in what we are trying to prevent.
After talking to you - anyone would need a vacation!

It seems that Lynn, and this website are trying hard to accomodate your views and respond as best as they can to what can only be described as negative antagonism with positivism. Is it only your opinion that counts? This is a discussion forum and should be treated as such - if we can't treat each other with respect AND respect each others' views, why bother discussing? Just to rile someone up ? To make yourself feel better? You only prove your narrow mindedness and not your opinion by your attitude. I am open to listening to other's viewpoints that are presented rationally and not in a closed minded manner without backup which includes personal experience. Is it your point just to attack and not to debate? Where is the sanity in that? Present your points on the issue at hand instead of just attacking others opinions or personalities. Get sane.

If you have something of substance to say about the commercialization of Kailua, say it and stop being a reactionary okole.

If there is anyone else out there that has a rational way to discuss on how turning Kailua into a commercial Resort town will benefit us besides money, please let me know. I would love to hear on how it benefits us in our neighborhoods that we live in.. I know it benefits the tourist and business owners but what about us families?!

Resort Town and Kailua are hardly synonymous.

First, any one who has lived in Kailua their entire life can tell you that there are only 2 "new buildings" that have been built in the last 20 years. And those buildings are the new Longs and the parking structure.

Every other new building such as, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Checkers Auto Parts, the New Kalapawai, Mike Mekenna's, etc., are all part of an existing infrastructure that has been in Kailua for more than 20 years.

So they put Checkers where Andy's was, so they put Kalapawai where an L&L, a Mexican Restaurant was. So they put Starbucks, and Jamba Juice where a bank was. So they put Pier 1 where the old Longs was. So what?

What dictates these changes?

Well, Andy's was old and run down and probably wouldn't have passed Dept. of Health standards (plus Napa has been ripping us off for years, so Checkers was perfect).

First Hawaiian Bank was too small and there was no reason for it to take up all of the building space that they were using, which is evident by the hole-in-the-wall it operates out of now.(FYI, FHB used to be in the complex where Starbucks is located).

The L&L where the new Kalapawai sits, was rundown and served crappy food.

Pier 1 took over an empty ex-Longs Drug Store. So, with that said, where is all this commercialization that is taking place? The businesses were always there, just different businesses.

I have questions. How does tour buses have any impact on the parking situation in Kailua Town?

How many tourists actually use rental cars to come to Kailua and come on, how many of them come here to shop at Times and take up parking stalls? Tourists are here for the beach, not for shopping all day at Times and taking up parking stalls. This is common sense.

Kailua is experiencing nothing more than normal growth and an influx of retiring "Babyboomers" most of which are long time Kailua residents. The businesses in Kailua are slowly catching up to the population growth. These businesses are definitely not surpassing the needs of the population in Kailua.

>>>Resort Town and Kailua are hardly synonymous.<<<
Well this is what we don't want we don't want it to go hand in hand.

>>>>First, any one who has lived in Kailua their entire life can tell you that there are only 2 "new buildings" that have been built in the last 20 years. And those buildings are the new Longs and the parking structure.<<<<<

I've lived here my entire life and I have nothing against repairing and or businesses beginning and growing. I remember going to foodland when it was where island snow is in the Kailua beach center and using the laundry matt that was also there. I remember the Kress store where the Pier 1 is now..
Lots of us long time Kailua residents remember and are not against beautifying and rectifyin tactfully.

>>>>>What dictates these changes?<<<<
Geeze Even my old bones could use a lil WD-40 Im all down with that.

>>>>>Well, Andy's was old and run down and probably wouldn't have passed Dept. of Health standards <<<<

LMAO yeah I don't know what possessed me to eat there.. but those hamburgers with extra yellow sauce was good!!!

>>>>>>>The L&L where the new Kalapawai sits, was rundown and served crappy food.<<<<
Yeah I agree on that I liked it much better when it was Taco Hut used to love to go there and drink Margaritta's..

>>>>>Pier 1 took over an empty ex-Longs Drug Store. So, with that said, where is all this commercialization that is taking place? The businesses were always there, just different businesses.<<<<
No problem as long as they have stores that we can utilize -- businesses for us residents and not more geared towards tourist and or a higher class. Eh not all of us can afford to shop at Pier 1.

>>>>>> I have questions. How does tour buses have any impact on the parking situation in Kailua Town? <<<<<<

Well that I didn't see .. personally I haven't seen tour buses in Kailua Town.. I do see them at the beach ALL the time and at the Kailua Beach Center .. and buses do take up lots of parking and there is no direction especially at the boatramp parking lot..there is no in and out just a big open space you have cars coming from Lanikai turning in bikes going across and cars going out.. It's a mess! It will probably take a kid getting run over before something gets done.. Thats a sad way to look at it but that is usually what it comes down to.

>>>>>How many tourists actually use rental cars to come to Kailua and come on, how many of them come here to shop at Times and take up parking stalls? Tourists are here for the beach, not for shopping all day at Times and taking up parking stalls. This is common sense.<<<<

Oh I am a frequent shopper at Times and that's a touchy subject for me going round and around and around .. It's not the tourist fault that the parking sucks at Times but they do go there .. of course they park there thats where our Kailua Information Center is located.. I've talked story to many tourist outside right by Tropics.. Some even told me that they have been coming to Kailua for years and they are even upset about its so called progress.. Don't take my word you should go talk story with some of them ..

>>>>>> Kailua is experiencing nothing more than normal growth and an influx of retiring "Babyboomers" most of which are long time Kailua residents. The businesses in Kailua are slowly catching up to the population growth. These businesses are definitely not surpassing the needs of the population in Kailua.<<<<<<
Well lots of these retiring Babyboomers are not too happy with the booming thats going on. Sometimes progress isn't always for the better of the community.

Well Nick have a great night ~ Aloha

Thanks for talking story with me and bringing back good memories of Kailua and I'm still making good memories of Kailua..

well, I have seen the ending plans, sketches and if you know your facts straight sir, they are not planning on stopping this "growth" anytime soon, in fact they are probably slowing it down until the heat blows over...
As a matter a fact big deal about the "starbucks" and "jamba juice"
quite simply if you have done your homework sir, which i am almost positive you have,
STARBUCKS is in fact one of the most largest growing coffee industries, however if you ever played the game monopoly Im sure you would know exactly whats going on!
These major chains don't pop out of nowhere for nothing... in fact there needs to be big money making causes because of it, because these people are all about profit profit profit!!!
I find it oddly coincidental that these major chains also pop up in other "richer" towns, in fact the way their buildings are structured are almost identical too the same construction i have seen in arizona! hmmm...
Anywho, this isn't about people not liking "change" its about people, not telling the truth about what is really going on and sugar coating it...Just because people assume there not living in the "21st century"
-THERE IS IN FACT A LOT OF BEHIND THE SCENES money marketing ideas for kailua, and that my friend is the truth...They still have big plans, no matter what you say, you can tell by the big coorporations that are popping up all over hawaii.
This is indeed a monopoly game its all about investing in the spot you feel that would profit most, then the ones behind the scene invest in their stocks, and there is a bunch of money hungry chains behind them... SO SIR dont act like this is just a simple little change, because if you know EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING on this is the beginning of the end to mom and pop shops in hawaii, because.
quite frankly they want a piece of the pie so to say, but they know just how to get the most,
perhaps the phrase
"easy as stealing candy from a baby"
would sum up what is really going on...
much love <3

Just a question... I'm taking it you are a B&B vacation rental owner..
Do You Provide All the food for you visitors??
or jus breakfast?
If so these tourist that are stayin in these rentals gotta shop somewhere!! I'm sure your not total hotel like with room service..
So why would they just go to the beach??? They have to eat too!!
And I've helped in the past to clean these Vacation Rentals and I seein' all the rubbish left over and yes they shop at Times Foodland Safeway and from the rubbish left over they definetly go to the liquor stores.. those people Party!!
So just wondering how you could make a statement that they don't shop at places like Times ... okay maybe not the ones staying down at Waikiki and renting cars .. but That's a No Brainer they all go around in circles in that parking lot with the rest of us looking for a space to park!! For thats where the "Kailua Information Center " Is located.. You do know that right?? Who can miss the signs that direct visitors to the site..
BTW - those Volunteers in there do a great job - talk to them too - talked to some about the memories of Kailua too for they have pamplets available about Kailua and how it was before.. Very interesting!!
We All may not see eye to eye on the direction of Kailua but they are nice people!!

Well "just a thought" if that's your REAL name I believe you're right!

You are so totally correct that Kailua is more than just a quaint community. It is actually the frontline battlefront between us and Corporate America! Why was I so blind? This conspiracy goes way beyond B&B rentals where good honest local foks are trying to earn some extra paper to pay some of the highest taxes in the nation.

Not saying that I'm for or against the B&Bs, but this thing with Corporate America is turning this town upside down! Yes down with "the man".

Ah Lynn,

Must be good to have the power of being the webmaster so that you can include namecalling in your own blog.

Rather than labelling me a "jerk" if you actually read the postings I have put down rather than there is a bit of honest truth to them. All I'm doing is presenting the other side that the other residents of Kailua are thinking. You know, the ones who think that upgrading is a good thing especially for families who want to call Kailua...home.

You can say all you want about how the tourists are taking over, but truthfully...I've nver seen a soul in the Kailua Info Center at any time and any day. I've also never seen any tourists in Times either. Just at the bus stops along with some of the homeless.

So rather than protesting against improvements, why don't you protest against the drug dealers at Kailua Beach, or the homeless sleeping around Kaiser and the gangs that hang around the high school and McDonald's? Everyone knows they're there, but would rather not do anything about them.

Someone also brought up the problem with traffic in the last 5 years. Last time I checked there were all locals in traffic with me and no tour buses. How about protesting so that they at least put a traffic cam at Castle Junction so we can see how bad traffic is?

See..."constructive" dialogue goes a long way rather than just a "Not in my backyard" mentality.

>>>>>B&B rentals where good honest local foks are trying to earn some extra paper to pay some of the highest taxes in the nation.<<<<<<<<

Well they did say" Just A Thought" and their is truth to their post..

Most of the B&B rentals I pulled up on the Hawaii Department Of Planning & Permiting GIS tool list are Developers not even residing in Hawaii..
Which in return make our property taxes go high!
And the honest people part mmmmm I don't know about that..Yes a few are like those as you mentioned.. but, the percentage is much higher with B&B ops finding loopholes to mess up something that is supposed to control the situation..that is now gotten out of hand... The honest ones are the ones that follow the rules set forth.. Which is probably in the percentile of 20% or less.

That is what I am against!! This bandwagon of people oh not people more like Businesses buying and developing the house next doorto me making our taxes go up and they have a business that pulls in money in one day that we work hard for in a week or a month..
And what about our seniors in our community who has neighbors "Businesses" who moved in next door to them and did this.. Poor seniors they are all on limited income.. How are they supposed to work 2 to three jobs to keep up with their neighbors who are not people but a business

I'm not jumpin on you Baht but these are questions and concerns that others have that I talked to.. It stresses the elderly out and in return their health is affected.. Do you what I'm talking about?
Could you help or anyone help in answering these questions. We who are not in this business sometimes can not understand the "How It profits us" part works when all we see is money lost in our personal pocketbooks. And many are forced to sell their homes because of this increase of interest in this money making market of "Buying Homes To Rent Out As Vacation Rentals"

Nice to see you back Baht
I Now I must go take some more NyQuil and do some housework

Well now you're getting into the larger issue of how everything is overpriced and overtaxed in Hawaii. As long as it's legal, if it helps to put food on your table I'm all for it. But my thing is concentrate on the real undesirables first - like the dealers who have more of a negative impact on our community than a B&B.

I Love the New Kailua, But prefer the Older Kailua

Kailua, Kailua...grew here, not flew here.....
Kailua remains to be a favorite place for me, despite the growth...however, if you didn't experience the " old Kailua" you'll never know how much you would have loved it. Your shirts would read:
I love the New Kailua, but prefer the older Kailua
The beautification projects are an improvement..but what about the streets?? Most are aware that the roads in Kailua are overcrowded, not only by residents but those who flock here to see our community...do you care for your neighbors? or do you prefer having a " new neighbor" every other week that doesn't really mind what happens, or how loud they can be, because they don't live here..they are on vacation..and will be leaving your neighborhood soon, and will be returning to their residence. As for beautiful Waimanalo, and the people there....if you want to experience how Kailua used to be, go to Waimanalo...see how the locals are willing to give you a hot meal, or perhaps the shirt off their back. Kailua does have an issue with homeless, I have yet to see " gangs" at Kailua Mc Donalds, or High School...
As for the homeless, who are not as fortunate as we are, try taking them a meal..see how much they'd appreciate it...Many years ago, many homeless people were sent to Hawaii because of our climate here, in addition to that they were offered assistance from the welfare department, while others who lived here, but too proud to ask for assistance got by...Hawaii for many many years has been one big melting pot and we seemed to get along.. You don't have to be born in Hawaii to have the aloha spirit, a feeling within..
If you like the changes, and want to see it built up more that's your right
But if you don't and you choose to remain quiet,and lay low, can't complain later..or..
if you don't like the changes, and you speak up make your point known, at least you know you tried.. So..maybe two shirt stands next to each other..would offer people a choice....
Your Shirt Stand...I love the New Kailua

And mine, I prefer the Older Kailua

Live each day with Aloha...

Thank you Harriet,

Beautifully said!! Thanks for sharing with all of us!!

Okay I'll take one of those shirts "I prefer the Old Kailua" LOL
I like that!!

Yup Gotta Luv That "Aloha Spirit"

I would also like an "I prefer the old kailua" shirt.
While change does happen with time the spirit of aloha doesn't. And thats the one thing I love about Kailua...period.
Our tight-knit community as always upheld the "live aloha" standard, regardless of race, creed, etc..
I've lived all over this island and no place can be compared to Kailua.

And in what way does improving infrastructure change the "spirit of aloha"? Has any development ever changed you? Of course not. the "spirit of aloha" will continue as long as you believe in it no matter where you are even on the Mainland.

Development does not create a mindbending change. People themselves create that change.

Improving, and developing are two separate topics...
as is the Aloha Spirit..
Let me ask you this....If you live in a household that has four members, would it change you ...if 30 more members moved in ?

Even those whom you love dearly..would become irritable and frustrated with each other. Please don't get the " aloha spirit" confused with a negative reaction to building up a community that is currently lacking the improvement that is much needed. Or try to say people don't change because of development. It affects way to many people...In many different ways. It changes people, but not by choice, especially if it is forced on them.

No one person is wrong, or right. We just have our own opinions and ideas of what would be best for the community overall...

Way to go Harriet! There is a definite difference between infrastructure and development. We all want improved instrastructure. What we are concerned about is excessive development. And if the question is who defines "excessive", the answer is the people of Kailua. Thanks for your clarifications.

I agree. And so far from the response of the number of people who are eating at the new restaurants and shopping at the new stores, I would say that the people of Kailua have spoken and they LOVE the new changes.

Sharpen your Pencil and take some notes

A survey on what Kailuan's like or dislike would be great.

In that survey, ~

How long have you been a resident of Kailua?

Before living in Kailua, where did you reside?

What is it that you like best about Kailua?

What do you dislike about Kailua?

Do you approve or disapprove of Bed and Breakfast's in Kailua?

Do you like the new changes in Kailua?

Do you feel safe in Kailua?

Do you find that parking and traffic in Kailua, has

changed?

How can we improve our community?

What would you like to change if you could in Kailua?

Where besides Kailua, would you consider living?

I am willing to bet that those who have been in Kailua for a short period vs long time residents, would have different views, on their likes and dislikes....

A survey would be interesting and I agree that there would be a difference. Regardless of any difference, I also think most residents, new or old, would object to active businesses next door to them in a residential neighborhood.

Now that is a great idea. See how constructive dialogue works?

Great Progress All,

Okay I will put together an online survey and try to gather some people together to go out into Kailua and do some pencil and paper survey's
What do you want on the survey?

HOPPY EASTER TO YOU ALL
Time to eat some Easter Sunday Food

Do A survey in Kailua

Possibly go to Kailua and Pass out Fliers, direct them to this website you have, and ask them...about what they would like to see happen to Kailua Town, and the neighborhoods that are surrounding it... Post the results here for all to see...good luck

Thank you Harriet
Great Suggestions ...
We have been passing out business cards around town and giving them to others to hand out to family and friends - Couldn't print out too much am runnin out of ink but I'll get it together.. If you have cards out there feel free to make copies of the originals and hand em out..
Flyers , Petitions and more are in the works but we want to gain more info from our neighbors in the community but more will be coming as people voice their opinions and suggestions KEEP IT COMING - MAHALO

Baht:
The developement of Kailua by Kaneohe Ranch to put more money in thier pockets before the trust desolves at any exspence to the town of Kailua and it's residence is the real issue. Building Rodeo Drive stores, charging super high rents, and on top of it taking a percerntage of the businesses gross so the trust can be as wealthy as possible before it dissolves is what it is about. What about all the small businesses that have been here for years being closed down to make room for more beautiful buildings.
I hope everyone in Kailua has the money base to support these high end businesses. What will happen to all the people in the apartments that are going to be demolished, where will they go?
We have much bigger problems then just the illegal B & B's to consider. When it all said and done the big boys will prevail, and we will all be left to live in a high end commercialized beach front community.

I personally think you're over reacting, but hey that's your constitutional right to express yourself. Personally I like the changes. And me a longtime Kailua resident.

Baht, what changes do you prefer as a longtime resident in Kailua?

I like the gradual evolution of the neighborhood as it's progressing now. A little of the new with the quiet Kailua sense of place. I like having the people visiting from all over and supporting the local businesses. I bet if you asked the people at So Kailua or Global Village, they wouldn't be complaining.

In none of the literature presented here or anywhere else, did it ever say they wanted to transform Kailua into a resort town. I know people are going to say"c'mon that's the next step". But you don't live your life with assumptions. I'm not saying that you go in blindly, but you should go in with your eyes wide open.

The problem with all of these posts and and controversies is that the world is not BLACK AND WHITE. It's not "my ideas are better than yours". The world is GRAY with no right or wrong answer. Constructive dialogue works best when it's freely given and accepted rather than through forceful protests and strikes.

So far even with the meetings with Kaneohe Ranch, they have NEVER said they wouldn't take people's suggestions and I think they've done a great job in maintaining the integrity of the community. Try it with someone like Bishop Estate or big like that who would just do something without any community output.

The world is too full of hate and protest and argument nowadays. Open a newspaper and you'll find it full of people who are resistant to change one way or the other (look at the current administration).

If you want to argue about the invasion of outsiders, then why not pinpoint the military who are here in Kailua and the retirees. Send them back home packing.

This prejudiced way of thinking is something that there's too much of in the world today.

Baht,
Thank you for sharing your views on what you like and your views on Kailua.
Just as you have opinions others that come onto this board will of course have their eyes open to things that concern them regarding how they see it. & sometimes things are not always what they appear to be.
I like your analysis though of Black & White and gray..are you in the social services field?
I too stated that their is no right or wrong answer some people may agree stronger in one area yet disagree in another area we all look upon things differently everything including Kaneohe Ranch / B&B's or even the security at the dump!!
Nobody is arguing about the "invasion of outsiders" as you put it.. its Capitalizing off of tourists and not giving a ratz ass about the local community - We paid for a residential home and neighborhood and deserve the right to live in one POINT BLANK in Black and White no gray there!!!! The gray are those who are operating Illegally and taking away our rights.
You Stated "The world is too full of hate and protest and argument nowadays"
and also stated "This prejudiced way of thinking is something that there's too much of in the world today. " But yet when you entered into this message board you were the one that made this topic "Kailua Better than Waimanalo" and dissed them out by saying a very racial statement saying nobody in Waimanalo got jobs.. So we all to a point contribute to feed towards hate and protest and argument.. Even myself am guilty on this and apologize to make ammends because I much rather contribute to what is good.
With that said remember this message board isn't an organization of people who all feel the same way - but we are individuals sharing our viewpoints upon things..that concerns us individually . Again I thank you for participating in conversation on this board.

Regarding prefers the changes...

Baht,
It would then be fair to say that you support Bed and Breakfast's. As I scrolled up, I notice a post from you suggesting that someone needs a vacation, and should try a nice Bed and Breakfast? Why is it so hard for you to come straight out and say it?
If your opinion is that you want Bed and Breakfast's in your neighborhood, Just state it.
Stand up for your opinion, as those who are against it.
I think that Lynn is doing a great job here gathering information and keeping an open mind, and letting all express their views.
People are always in disagreement, and have different views on various subjects.
As for America....it is the greatest country..which is why so many different cultures come here..
We are free to speak our minds, and express ourselves without fear. God Bless America...
If I wanted to live in a business district..I would have bought property there to call my home..
I chose to live in a residential district and will continue to voice my opinion along with others who also would like to keep Kailua that way.
I have no problem with tourist, the military, or those from different cultures..which is why I love Hawaii....and which is why many move here...the people in Hawaii " stand out" . Hell, America is where many families come, because they know that they have a chance to get ahead...
But....charging ridiculous prices for Vacation Rentals, and Bed and Breakfast's to benefit oneself..is another subject..Its not to help the tourists..or being considerate of your neighbor's..its pure and simple " greed" an easy way to make a fast buck, and pay off your mortgage..it lacks consideration of those who live in that neighborhood.
I have on many occasions driven tourist back to Waikiki to retrieve duplicate keys, offered meals to the homeless, and showed new military families around...
Where have the days gone...where you water your neighbors yard, got their mail, fed their pets, or take them a hot cooked meal, if they were ill...
This is the type of neighborhood I prefer vs a knock on the door asking if this is the Vacation Rental or if I know where it is...
Thanks for letting me express my feelings.
Aloha

After my whole long last posting. The only thing you were able to pick up was that I "support B&Bs". I said nothing of the sort although I have no objections to them as long as they are legal.

Unbelievable.

It's that tunnelvision you have that makes you unable to accept any compromise one way or the other. It's like a kid holding his breath until he gets what he wants. Learn to play nice with the other kids.

Read the rest of the posting and ponder it for awhile. There are bigger things in the world to worry about right now than this. Like school shootings and world war.

Stand firm in your beliefs, and be proud of who you are

You know what upsets me, if things are not going your way, you tend to become upset and blame others.
Is this playing nice?
If you consider this blog a game, don't hide your cards and start playing with a full deck.
Now, let me explain....

Your comments and visions are just important to you, as mine are to me.

If I prefer raising my children in a neighborhood where my neighbors are residents,
that's my preference!
If you prefer other than that, then settle in a neighborhood that allows B&B's.
But don't try to convince me, or change the rules of the game, (sort to speak)so that it appeases you. I am quite sure as a parent, you set rules for your children to abide by. When they don't follow the rules there are consequences. You don't change the rules, later.
You stand firm, On what you expect from them. You guide them, and set an example, teach them right from wrong, and love them unconditionally.
The same applies to laws, if you don't abide by the law's, there are consequences.
If people have an issue about illegal bed and breakfast's, its the law. What is the difference between breaking the rules of the house, or the state?
If your property states, it is residential zoned, then that's what it is. Period.
So, if I choose to stand firm on this matter, and go by the rules of the " game", that's my choice.
It is there, in BLACK AND WHITE, no need to try and shadow the fact.
Remember this quote by Mark Twain:
" Always do right. It will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."
Aloha, fellow Kamaaina...

Oh2Funny4you, you just won't let it go will you? If you want to pick a personal issue with someone, then go elsewhere if you can't play nice. Don't ask for a response if you can't handle it.

All I'm saying is that whether you're for development or not, there is a happy compromise that can always be reached.

I have no problems with the current developments. They're not rushed or take away from the flavor of Kailua, so I'm fine with them. I also don't mind the
B&Bs as long as they're legal. Heck I'm more concerned about the senior living facilities that are sprouting up in our neighborhoods in private homes than I am about legal B&Bs. Having ambulances come up at all hours of the night is definitely disruptive.

There are 2 sides to every situation. What the key is to find out what works best for all parties involved and keep Kailua the peaceful community that it is.

Standing firm for NO more Bed and Breakfast's in Kailua !

I am quite capable of handling responses to my comments, whether they are in agreement or disagreement. What I can't let go of is allowing any more illegal bed and breakfast's in Kailua, or my neighborhood.

When the subject of the matter is tossed aside, and you introduce a new subject, which has nothing to do with my concerns, I address the matter by stating my opinion.

Because I choose to be a resident of Hawaii, my goals are focused on making my neighborhood,community and state a desirable place for all who visit or reside here, while keeping in mind, the best interest for all.

Personally, I'd prefer hearing a siren coming to the aid of an elderly person or others in need of help any hour of the day, verses suitcases dragged across the driveway, doors slamming, loud talking, knocking on my door, or people walking in my yard looking for their vacation rental for the next few days, on a weekly basis.
With that being said, I will continue on my path and let my voice be heard until....I am a senior.

What a great idea, instead of vacation rentals and Bed and Breakfast's, lets replace them with much needed facilities for the elderly, and give them the feeling that their last few hours, days, weeks, months or years on earth, were blessed with neighbors who cared.

What a great compromise. See good things do happen when two minds work together.

Aloha, fellow Kamaaina..

Baht Gwain;

I also find your comments regarding the current changes to Kailua’s character unclear. Maybe that is why so many members of this forum are having challenges understanding your positions and thoughts. Possibly, if you answer the following questions regarding Kailua’s character and tourism, we would have better understanding.

Do you believe illegal vacation rentals and B&B’s should be shut down?

Do you believe Kailua residential zoned neighborhoods should remain residential-use only and not allow any additional “non-conforming use” certificates for visitor accommodation businesses such as hotels, motels, B&B’s and vacation rentals?

Do you believe the recent increasing number of tourist-oriented businesses in Kailua’s commercial district is happening because of the increasing number of vacationers staying or visiting Kailua?

Do you believe the increasing number of visitor accommodation business in Kailua’s residential zone neighborhoods and the increasing number of tourist-oriented businesses in Kailua’s commercial district is changing the residential character of our community?

Do you believe Kailua should be a residential community or be transformed into a tourist town by market forces?

For those who want Kailua to remain a residential community, how would you propose we achieve that objective?

Thank you for your future replies.

VERY SIMPLE. (ANSWERS IN BOLD)

Do you believe illegal vacation rentals and B&B’s should be shut down?
YES BECAUSE THEY ARE ILLEGAL

Do you believe Kailua residential zoned neighborhoods should remain residential-use only and not allow any additional “non-conforming use” certificates for visitor accommodation businesses such as hotels, motels, B&B’s and vacation rentals?
RESIDENTIAL USE

Do you believe the recent increasing number of tourist-oriented businesses in Kailua’s commercial district is happening because of the increasing number of vacationers staying or visiting Kailua?
NO. QUITE FRANKLY I DON'T KNOW OF ANY SPECIFIC TOURIST RELATED BUSINESS IN TOWN. I'VE WORKED IN THE TOURIST INDUSTRY FOR OVER 30 YEARS AND NONE SO FAR FIT THAT CRITERIA. SURE THERE ARE THE SMALLER BUSINESSES THAT SELL THE REGULAR HAWAII-TYPE GIFTS, BUT NONE THAT ARE TOURIST SPECIFIC LIKE ABC.

Do you believe the increasing number of visitor accommodation business in Kailua’s residential zone neighborhoods and the increasing number of tourist-oriented businesses in Kailua’s commercial district is changing the residential character of our community?
NO. I'VE SEEN THE OCCASSIONAL VISITOR SURE, BUT NOT THAT MANY. MORE LOCALS THAN ANYTHING ELSE.

Do you believe Kailua should be a residential community or be transformed into a tourist town by market forces?
AGAIN, IT SHOULD REMAIN RESIDENTIAL AND IT IS NOT BEING MARKETED AS A TOURIST TOWN. FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN IT'S JUST SHOWING VISITORS ANOTHER SIDE OF HAWAII. NOT ANY DIFFERENT FROM YOU'LL FIND IN ANY "OFF THE BEATEN PATH" BOOKS. BECAUSE OF KAILUA'S REPUTATION, THE PEOPLE WILL COME REGARDLESS IF IT'S ADVERTISED OR NOT.

For those who want Kailua to remain a residential community, how would you propose we achieve that objective?
THERE'S NO BLACK AND WHITE ANSWER TO THIS. THE ONLY THING YOU CAN DO IS WORK WITHIN THE SYSTEM. WRITE TO YOUR LEGISLATORS, ATTEND MEETINGS, ETC. THAT IS, AFTER ALL, HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS.

I MAY BE AN IDEALIST, BUT THAT IS WHAT OUR COUNTRY'S BUILT UPON. A SIT DOWN DEMONSTRATION IS FINE, BUT IN MY EXPERIENCE, IT'S ALWAYS PUT THE DEMONSTRATORS IN A NEGATIVE LIGHT AND QUITE FRANKLY PUTS OFF MANY WHO MIGHT BE VIEWING THE PROTESTERS ESPECIALLY IN THE MIDDLE OF A COMMUNITY FAMILY EVENT.

YOU CAN'T STOP VISITORS FROM VISITING THE TOWN. IN FACT, MANY OF THE BUSINESSES LIKE SO KAILUA AND GLOBAL VILLAGE WOULD WELCOME THE EXTRA BUSINESS. WHEN YOU SAY "RESIDENTIAL COMMUNITY" YOU HAVE TO BE SURE TO INCLUDE ALL BUSINESSES LIKE THE RETIREMENT HOMES AS WELL AS THE B&B's. IF THEY ARE ILLEGAL, THEN SURE THEY SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT CONTRIBUTING TO OUR COMMUNITY IN TERMS OF TAXES.

OPEN AND HONEST DIALOGUE WITH BOTH SIDES ACTUALLY WILLING TO TAKE CONCESSIONS ONE WAY OR THE OTHER IS THE BEST POLICY. CHANGE IS COMING THAT IS A GIVEN AND CAN'T BE STOPPED, BUT WHAT CAN BE DONE IS TO SHAPE IT INTO THE VISION YOU WANT RATHER THAN STOPPING IT ALTOGETHER.

TAKE THE TIME TO THINK ABOUT HOW YOU WOULD LIKE THE COMMUNITY TO EVOLVE RATHER THAN STOPPING IT ALTOGETHER.

IT'S AN EXCITING TIME TO MOLD HOW OUR FUTURE GENERATIONS WILL CREATE THEIR OWN POSITIVE VIEWS OF KAILUA.

Positions on Kailua and Tourism

Baht Gwain

Thank you for answering the questions. Based upon your answers, I will try to summarize your positions and add my own commentary;

(1.) You DO believe illegal vacation rentals and B&B’s should be shut down. (I AGREE with you. Any illegal B&B or vacation rental operating in a residential neighborhood without a “non-conforming use” certificates must be shut down today!)

(2.) You believe Kailua residential zoned neighborhoods should remain residential-use only and not allow any additional “non-conforming use” certificates for visitor accommodation businesses such as hotels, motels, B&B’s and vacation rentals. (I also AGREE with you. We already have over 70 legal grandfathered visitor accommodation businesses in Kailua. This may be a few too many, but hopefully due to attrition, the number will decrease over time.)

(3.) You DO NOT believe the recent increasing number of tourist-oriented businesses in Kailua’s commercial district is happening because of the increasing number of vacationers staying or visiting Kailua. (I DISAGREE with your analysis. Possibly, I have lived in Kailua longer than you, but in my opinion, there has been a significant increase in the number of businesses whose business model is focusing on tourists as a significant share of their business. You even cited businesses such as “So Kailua” and “Global Village” are possibly targeting the tourist market. The only rational reason for these changes is the increase number of tourist visiting or staying in Kailua.)

(4.) You DO NOT believe the increasing number of visitor accommodation business in Kailua’s residential zone neighborhoods and the increasing number of tourist-oriented businesses in Kailua’s commercial district is changing the residential character of our community. (I DISAGREE with you on this point. We have an estimated 400 to 500+ visitor accommodation businesses located in Kailua and numerous new retail stores whose business models are design to market products to tourists. These tourism related visitor accommodations and retail businesses that focus on the tourist market are changing the residential character of our community because they are present in our community. This point can be support by the facts that a record number of complaints have been filed against illegal vacation rentals and B&B’s and many in the community have voiced their opinions at the neighborhood board meetings and in letters to the editor that they believe market forces are transforming Kailua into a tourist town.)

(5.) You DO believe Kailua should be a residential community, but you DO NOT believe Kailua is being transformed into a tourist town by market forces. (I AGREE with you wholeheartedly that Kailua should remain a residential community, but I DISAGREE with you regarding it being transformed into a tourist town. There are over 500,000 websites advertising visitor accommodation businesses in Kailua. The travel advice website “www.tripadvisor.com” rated Kailua as the 2nd hottest tourist destination in the U.S. for 2007. It’s estimated over 40% of the homes sold in Kailua in the last two years were purchased as second homes and many of them were converted from residences to illegal visitor accommodation businesses. In my opinion, there are definitely market forces transforming our residential community into a tourist town.)

(6.) You DO NOT believe there is a “Black and White” answer to having Kailua remain a residential community and not be transformed into a tourist town. (I DISAGREE with you. There are clear and simple “Black and White” answers to this problem. The answers are; (1.) Shut down all of the illegal vacation rentals and B&B’s today. (2.) Do not allow any additional legal visitor accommodation businesses in Kailua. These are the only viable and legal solutions our community true has to achieve this objective. The purpose of zoning laws is to determine the land uses for a community. By strictly enforcing and preserving our residential zoned neighborhoods, we can protect the residential character of our community).

One comment you made is very puzzling to me. You stated “open and honest dialogue with both sides actually willing to take concessions one way or the other is the best policy”.

What "side" or "who" do you think the residential community should be having a dialogue with? And what compromises would you propose?

If you are talking about having a dialog with the illegal vacation rental and B&B owners and operators, I am not sure what good that will do. You had stated earlier that we should shut down illegal businesses and Kailua residential neighborhoods should remain “residential-use” only and NO ADDITIONAL “non-conforming use” certificates for visitor accommodation businesses such as B&B’s and vacation rentals should be issued. So the only solution or compromise available is for the illegal vacation rental and B&B operators to stop their illegal activities and relocate their business to commercial zoned areas.

Thank you for your comments and allowing me to express mine.

Kano,
To bad you weren't a candidate for the neighborhood board, you would have my vote !

Hey Kano,
Ever think of running for the neighborhood board?
You'd have my vote !!

Sorry about the double posting...

I really don't know why you're persuing this whole issue. You asked me some questions and I answered them. I really don't care what your opinion is because they are yours and I respect that.

What I don't respect is you calling me out for my honest answers and then twisting them around to fit your agenda. This is a great an honest forum for differing opinions. Not the Bill O' Reilly show.

Baht,
the whole problem with this board is that there are only a few different people posting under numerous names. Hence the reason they are always slipping up by confusing each others names when they are responding. The one thing to look for is the purposeful change in tone, while paragraph structure remains the same.

Nic,
If you had brains, you'd be dangerous..
And if you had common sense, you'd be blessed.

I thought I would take the opportunity to visit this website after hearing a few people talk about it at starbucks a few weeks ago. After reading some of the posts I was initially amused, then troubled. I made a few posts and offended a few people, but it was still interesting.

What I did not expect was to hear people at a community meeting a few days ago talking about this site and those who run it. Well after being a little "niele" and listening in on their conversation, it all makes a little more sense now. Seemed like this older person was quite privy about what is going on. There also seemed to be a lot of resentment and accusations regarding certain illegal fraudulent mailings dealing with neighborhood board elections emanating from individuals who use/operate this website.

I guess there are some interested individuals who visit this site, but do no post. scary

Nic
I was just wondering, on another posting you were kind enough to share with us your time schedule...

Quite unique that you are able to fit in Starbucks and Eavesdropping between your busy schedule....

But hey, if you can master time management...
Props to you.

Working people do not have time to cruise in starbucks, etc.........

Hey Nic,
Remember this post you submitted on April 7, 2007 at 12:38pm under the topic.." Talk about Kailua Beach?"

"Working people do not have time to cruise in starbucks, jamba juice, borders, etc. Life is not about fun and games. Times are changing and nobody can stop change (maybe slow it a little). The key is to not be left behind."

Re: TALK ABOUT KAILUA BEACH

And now there is barely a fish in the bay. The Kalama's no longer live in Kailua (except for 2 of them) because everyone had to move away to make a living. The beach is eroding and all you see are the ugly roots of Pine and Ironwood trees that will soon be removed.

These are all natural changes. My kids wont ever be able to talk about how they ran up and down the soft white sand on the beach because the sand is no longer white or soft. They wont be able to talk about jumping off the little rocks of the boat ramp because those rocks are buried under the sand.

My kids will be far too busy talking about how they had to bust their okole in school because they know that if they want to continue to live in Kailua, that they need to get a good education and a good job.

I don't know what fantasy world you are all living in, or maybe you are just filthy rich, but the working people do not have the opportunity to enjoy or reflect upon these happy times.

Working people do not have time to cruise in starbucks, jamba juice, borders, etc. Life is not about fun and games. Times are changing and nobody can stop change (maybe slow it a little). The key is to not be left behind.

20% of Hawai'i's residents are one paycheck away from being homeless. For the layperson, that means these people do not have a savings account, and their bills and monthly expenses are either equal to or more than their monthly income.

So while you are all out there trying to stop business growth in kailua, you are hurting your community because you are forcing people to go to town to work. You are limiting their options, if there are no job opportunities in Kailua, then people need to go to town to work. This entails catching the bus or buying a vehicle and incurring more bills. Additionally, you are creating at least 2 hours of travel time( time which they could be spending having "story time") because now they have to drive to town to make ends meet. The list goes on and on.

Could your group be more of the problem, rather than the solution?

Here is my daily schedule:
5:00 Wake up & get ready
5:30 Cook for my kids & have it ready by 6:00
6:00 Wake the kids up, Feed them, Get them ready.
6:30 Leave the house (wife takes kids to school then goes to work)
6:30-7:40 In traffic wasting over an hour in traffic
8:00 Get to work
5:30 Leave work
6:45 Get home after wasting over an hour in traffic
7:00 Cook dinner
7:30 Wife gets home with kids after she works 8 hours (the kids have spent 2 hours in after school care and another 2 hours with their grandparents who are nice enough to watch them. My wife has spend 8 hours working)
7:45 We all eat until 8:15 or so and catch up
8:15-9:00 the kids bathe and unwind.
10:00 - Kids are in bed (wash clothes, dishes etc)
10:30 iron my clothes and pack up my lunch and the kids lunch for the next day and finish up work that I had not finished.
11:30 go to sleep for 5 1/2 hours
5:00 wake up again

I am fortunate I only have one job. It could be much worse. The weekends are spent doing the yard and maybe taking the kids to the beach. Not much time to relax. I am sure you can relate.

OK, Oh2Funny, Kano, and everyone else who is on this posting who has seen to berate me for my beliefs. Let me ask you. How would YOU improve the neighborhood? I'm not talking about just saying "ban B&Bs" I mean an honest answer to how Kailua can evolve.

Tell me how business can grow. Tell me how you feel quality of life can improve. Tell me how we can make it better for the next generation. Tell me how we can improve our infrastructure because our buildings are aging. If you are like me, your home was probably made over 30 years ago. So c'mon and tell me how you would improve things. Then ask yourself how it would be funded. Taxes? Higher rent?

As I mentioned before. I feel that change is coming and so far, I think it's been great. But since everyone like's to respond to my answers. Let's hear yours. No sarcastic comments, no spun rhetoric. Just an honest answer.

Oh2Funny be a part of the solution if you can.

I cannot speak for all neighborhoods, for they all have different problems.
In addition to this, addressing the issues would vary.

Is this a neighborhood that has a drug house, are children picking at your fruit, is there a dog that constantly barks, is the house near you a Bed and Breakfast or a TVU that really has no neighbor?

Communicating with your neighbors and trying to resolve problems as they occur, would be the first step to a improving a neighborhood. If this does not work, follow up by notifying those who can assist you in resolving the matter.
Respecting each other’s property, and keeping an eye out for each other, will reduce crime. (Neighborhood Watch)

When you say evolve, that depends on the changes, or progress you would like to see take place. I would honestly like to see Kailua remain a residential area, without all the overpriced vacation rentals for those who are vacationing here. You drive up cost of rentals in the vicinity, bring in extra traffic, and reduce the amount of vacancies for locals. Businesses in the area then tend to jack up the prices for the “tourist”, however, I will continue to tell them about Aloha Stadium Swap Meet.

I do not wish to see Kailua's Business district a district that caters to tourist.
We need businesses in this community where locals can go too.

Kayak rentals, and other rentals for beach activities are plentiful in Kailua, how many more of these shops do we need?

The state of Hawaii should start a lottery! As it is now, many locals are more than willing to donate mega bucks to the state of Nevada. Our state would benefit and could use the funds for improving the public school system, sewage system, and roads. Our streets and buildings would be able to get the improvements needed without raising taxes.

Oahu, being the most populated in the state of Hawaii, has reached a point beyond return regarding population. Cost of property is not going down, and there is NO way …without raising taxes that residents will prevail.

For the average homeowner in Hawaii we already know that making ends meet are a challenge, those who purchase homes with the intentions of turning them in to vacation rentals, are taking away the feeling of growing up in a neighborhood for many of our keiki's. If we lived in an area that had acres between each other, this would make sense. However, we both know that this is not the situation here on Oahu.

Do you think by bringing in more businesses or allowing residential areas to have B&B;s or TVU’s that this will enhance the lifestyle of this community?
I truly believe, that more residents will be driven out of this community, and our children and grandchildren will suffer the consequences.

Aloha Fellow Kamaaina.

Hmm so far just the same re-hash of your last opinions. Although the gambling thing that's a new one. For someone who advocates quality living, I'm surprised you went with the lottery thing where many people who may not be able to make ends meet would be paying for these Lottery tickets.

Again, let's hear some future plans and not just more of what we "shouldn't" do. What businesses would people like to see? Restaurants...entertainment...youth facility...etc. More nursing homes? More Parks? Allowing kiddie bouncers back on Kailua Beach so that us kamaaina can go back to having fun on it? Better roads? More lights? More police? Druggies off the beach? Tear down Holiday Theatre?

C'mon think a little harder rather than just spending a few minutes on it for a change.

Baht stop being a wise a$$ and if you find that said offensive- tough!!Because you don't seem concerned about offending other people.
Why don't YOU spend a little more time trying to have some respect for others POV'

The answers given to you were honest ones, might not be the ones you wish to hear, or structured to your likings.

Three states; Hawaii, Tennessee, and Utah do not allow gambling, my suggestion that starting a lottery ..would allow the state to receive the funds needed for areas that taxpayers will eventually be charged higher taxes for.

I suppose there is no need for me to respond to your questions. They are not what you want to hear, nor do you respect my opinions.

You wanted honest answers, that's what you got.
I have this weird feeling...that I know who you are.
With that being said, good luck in your endeavors.

Aloha, from Aunty :)

I really don't know what you found offensive in my last posting. I was just asking for others' opinions on how they believe Kailua SHOULD grow. Businesses, restaurants, etc. Look again.

If you took that as offensive in any way then I apologize.

I just thought this was a forum for letting people be able to see how they could improve Kailua. I'm sorry for being mistaken.

So 2Funny. What about your thoughts for Kailua growth? I'm really curious.

I don't think you know me. If you didn't recognize my name, then I don't think so.

Lol...Baht...suppose you catch the bus to work...and borrow someone else's library card to rent books...
Capital Gain...( unless ya ride a bike) or..perhaps..are driving without a license?

Haven't had time to draw out any plans....was enjoying my vacation...and hey besides...you interested in my thoughts?

This subject of Kailua is better than Waimanalo..needs to be deleted

OH and my real name is Santa Claus....Or Tooth Fairy, or Easter Bunny....

Dang did ya miss it? I replied...

Sorry I didn't mean for it to come across as sarcastic. I just meant that if you knew me you would've recognized my name.

Anyhow, sure why not? Of course I'm interested in people's thoughts. This wouldn't be an open forum if I wasn't interested. Everyone asked me how I thought development should go and I answered. I didn't hear any sincere growth plans from you other than bashing my beliefs.

Let me tell you. When you come from a country and family that has nothing, you realize what freedom truly is and that includes freedom of speech.

I put out an honest challenge for you and others to come up with development plans of your own. Why twist it into something mean-spirited?

Excuse me Sir or Ma'am,
My responses to your questions, were sincere.
You keep speaking of another country. Were you not born and raised here? Or am I mistaken?

My native homeland is Thailand.

The thing I hadn't heard from you is what kind of growth and development you would like to see in Kailua. That's all.

My native homeland is Hawaii, as is my husbands, and my parents, and my grandparents.

By the year 2044, there will not be a single soul who is pure Hawaiian living on this island. Their native homeland. Therefore, for those of us whose homeland is Hawaii and wish to see some changes in the direction of the growth that is taking place be stopped or corrected, is that a bad thing?

Want to help the elderly? Why not put up a senior citizen complex in the area where condos are planned?

We offer programs for the youth of this community and don't even have enough parking to accommodate spectators. ( Kailua Park for One)

Try to go there when soccer, little league, or Kalaheo High School home games are being played.
At least someone had some knowledge to put a restroom up so the kids didn't have to run across the field to use the restrooms at the Recreation Center.

Kailua Beach,Camp Kailani, and residents who were moved out to extend and beautify the park.. Yes the park is beautiful, Bike Lanes Put in...that many Bikers don't even utilize, they remain riding on the narrow road on Kawailoa and Lanikai. No one thought that parking stall should have been included in these plans? Pavilions added there for family functions, but where do the visitors park...

Many groups have fond memories of Camp Kailani, which should have not been torn down.

The old Foodland in Kailua, where Island snow is now...that area was not TORN down to make way for a nice, newer building...they took what they had, and created many office spaces for others. ( They did buy out the home next door to make a parking lot.)

They paved paradise...and put up a parking lot.. remember that song?

Restoration, is not a bad thing.
If you want growth and development thinking that jobs will be created for many individuals, how many jobs do you think each individual will need to work to be able to reside in this community?

Outsourcing is already creating problems in our Country and affecting many individuals. If I am not mistaken, many individuals from Hawaiian Tel have recently lost jobs, due to outsourcing.

Before more businesses are established in Kailua, with new structures, I think problems that exist now should be corrected first.

What problems? Parking mainly...
Oh, I did not realize FHB was where Starbucks is now,
I thought it was Hawaii National Bank?
I know the Kailua Post Office once was where Brents is now.

I would really hate to see parking structures erected upwards, like the one at Longs.
The only beauty in that structure, is the artwork that was created. I am sure that if I think long and hard enough I would come up with a plan for the old Holiday Theater, besides tearing it down. I'll be thinking on that one.

Enough said....

I forgive you for your lapse of judgement.

Hope your father is okay. GB

See now those are good constructive ideas.

So you say we need more parking but no structures and paving. Any ideas on where to put a parking lot as you suggest?

Donate if you can.
http://www.bgch.com/dsp-donate.htm

Oh, I'm so elated that you approve........

I am not an engineer, nor a architect.. I am quite sure those who have the expertise in this area, are capable to come up with an idea that would blend in with the current parking lot.

I think that it is rather odd that the vendors from open market, set their stalls up on the parking lot, leaving customers to park on the grassy area, and across the street from the parking lot, would make more sense that they set up on the grassy area,(in the field) and leave the parking lot for those who come to shop...

Back to the parking...both sides of Kailua Recreation Park, have room to extend parking....

As for Kailua Beach Park, the same situation...extend both sides of the park ( near Buzz's and Lanikai end)

p.s. I never mentioned paving...as you stated.

I just found out about this website and would like to express my observations.

From Sabrinacrk Apr 10th, 2007 - 8:45 PM: The developement of Kailua by Kaneohe Ranch to put more money in thier pockets before the trust desolves at any exspence to the town of Kailua and it's residence is the real issue. Building Rodeo Drive stores, charging super high rents, and on top of it taking a percerntage of the businesses gross so the trust can be as wealthy as possible before it dissolves is what it is about. What about all the small businesses that have been here for years being closed down to make room for more beautiful buildings.

To Sabrinack FYI:
It is The Harold K L Castle Foundation Trust who owns the land and it’s subsidiary Kaneohe Ranch that manages the properties. In any business, the objective is to make money or why be in business and yes money to be put in the trust as well The trust is not dissolving adverse to your statement. The trust is written to go on forever. But the HUGE difference when you make this kind of money is what you do with this money. The income that is generated by these properties have been given back to help the community. Since the foundations founding in 1962, The Harold K L Foundation has awarded more than $143 million dollars in grants with more than $50 million to the windward side. The Foundation’s current investments are focused on public education redesign and enhancement, nearshore marine resource conservation, and strengthening the communities of Windward Oahu.
Mr Castle has donated his land to what was Hwaii Loa College (HPU), Castle Hospital, Kainalu Elementary, Castle High School, Iolani.
That ‘s the differece in a person such as Mr Castle making money but giving a whole lot back to the betterment of the community
I don’t see any kind of Rodeo Dr shops here and see any higher rents that are not even close. In retail, it’s common practice for both landlord and lessee to agree on gross vs percentage rent.
Please provide an example of a small businesses that have been here for years being closed down to make room for more beautiful buildings as I don’t know of any off hand..
To the question of what I would like to see in Kailua :
1. Kailua lacks restraunt outdoor eating. Along the Marsh along Hamakua build a bike /walk path from Windward boats and all the way to the homes past horse stables. Redevelop existing building into mix uses retail/office but facing the marsh and also has outdoor seating for a good mix of different restraunts.
Right now we have some mixed use that ‘s kind of unslightly along that stretch and we can turn it into something attractive but not intruvise to the wildlife , that would be great.

2. A real good local kind saimin stand….not the ramen kind
3. The parking issue. They had to build a structure to accomondate the employees of Macy’s and Long’s. and more importantly the customers. There was no parking available. I don’t know what’s worse, a parking structure that has a smaller footprint and goes up or a larger footprint and is spread out with more pavement.

I agree.

Mmmm someone that talks my language food :)
Think a saimin place would be great investment for Kailua, It's something that all would enjoy!
Someone told me of a place on the outer islands that they give you the basic saimin then like a buffet you add the fixin's
Something like that would be affordable and enjoyable..Even though Kailua has a lot of outdoor eating areas like Lucy's,
Zia's , Bachi Bistro, Big City Diner, Brents, K&K , Boston Pizza , Mokes bread and breakfast.. plus more - which I enjoy
more than the ones that are more acknowledged as fine dining.
We sure do have lots of options for eating in Kailua which is great - puts a few pounds on me thats for sure. LOL

It's funny you wrote about Kaneohe Ranch - I was just reading an article regarding Kaneohe Ranch and their plans for "A New Kailua"
So questions were popping into my head - I've been known to write alot (smirk) but, I got lot of questions and want to be corrected
because I'm not really into all the politics and stuff been just taking a crash course and I hear lots of different view points of various issues
so please feel free to correct me - Thanks for stopping in too... I been writing the below thing for a couple days didn't pull it all out my head in a couple hours...Figure I post it here since you mentioned about Kaneohe Ranch.
The article I'm refering to is:
Honolulu Star Bulletin - Sunday, January 5, 2003 - "A new Kailua -Kaneohe Ranch wants to remake its properties,and increase business"
The way this message board is set up I need to put the link at the end of everything.. so it's below.. thanks

As far as Kaneohe Ranch/Castle giving to our community, sure they
contributed and contributes a lot to the community..
But, on the other hand when somebody has that much power and owns practically
the whole business district of Kailua, their decisions affect all of us in the community.
With the ownership and control of most of the land in our business district in the town of Kailua,
they have the power to set the economic direction of the town, this includes business rents, business practices,
business relationships and the type of businesses available to all of us.
However, my question is "Can Kailua's economy grow and prosper if the workforce can’t afford to live here?"
If Kaneohe Ranch did not own all that they own, but just a little piece of it, do you feel that their new designs for Kailua
would be targeted to attract "quality visitors"?
What are "Quality visitors"?
Are the residents of this town not "Quality Residents" ? What do we need with "Quality Visitors"?
Unless of course having "Quality Residents" is not enough or perhaps there are not enough
"Quality Residents" for Kaneohe Ranch or perhaps they don't even consider us as "Quality Residents"
or perhaps they don't consider residents at all.
Does "Quality vistiors" mean "people with money" with more disposable income and money to spend
in a "tourist playground"? Is this the direction that Kaneohe Ranch is taking?
Can we as residents afford to live in our own town in the near future? Do we want to pay higher prices
at the grocery stores or local eateries because they price according to what they believe
"Quality visitors" will pay? Do we as local residents lose out because the "Quality visitors"
are more important?
Since this article was written, much of what Kaneohe Ranch had planned at that time has come to be.
Indeed we are seeing more visitors, many more visitors. The "Quality visitors" are here in force, enticed
by the makover of Kailua and the sudden proliferation of "Illegal Vacation Rentals" advertised on the Internet.
Is this is the end result of Kaneohe Ranch's Master Plan for Kailua or is it the beginning?
But, after all business is business and all businesses work together to help the other businesses and this is why many think that the
alleged Illegal B&B / Tvu's and lots of the NEW KAILUA businesses along with Kaneohe Ranch are on a lil journey to turn our town
into a resort town...who benefits ?? Their Businesses! Surely, not us residents!

We are not against visitors, tourists, coming to Kailua - we just don't want our town to be changed such that they are more important
than us residents. The decisions that Kaneohe Ranch makes for its land in Kailua affects not only the businesses but also all of
the residents, "Quality" or not of Kailua. If Kaneohe Ranch wants input from the community, don't only seek this input from the "ladies"
of Kailua (Who are these ladies anyways, ladies with unlimited credit cards?), but also from the long time residents, the lower income residents,
the mom and pop shops that can't afford to belong to the Chamber of Commerce or other business organizations.
Nothing is wrong with visitors but who decides how many (as many as the market can bear?) and where will all of these visitors stay
(in Illegal vacation rentals while rental housing is in such short supply throughout the island)
(and since Kaneohe Ranch sold off the majority of the lower income housing available in Kailua), and
what will become of us, the residents of Kailua.
Sharing Kailua is one thing, but giving it up to big business is another.

Kailua residents lose when visitors ("Quality visitors") become the primary interest of the largest land owner in town.
This is robbing Peter to pay Paul and unfortunately, Peter can't afford it for long.
That of course is what appears to be happening. Everyone is too intimidated to speak up and this shouldn't be,
I feel it takes the whole community to set a direction for OUR WHOLE TOWN that we call home and not just the
largest landowner..
I do appreciate them giving to our community!

Click here to go to the article that got me thinking

I agree that we must take care of the residents of Kailua first and foremost or what’s the sense of living here.

My response to Kaneohe Ranch was just to get the facts straight. No sense in debating something when the facts are wrong.

More on Kaneohe Ranch.

Several years ago (?), Kaneohe Ranch solicited the Kailua community to attend a handful of “Town Meetings” at Kailua Intermediate. The purpose of these Saturday morning meetings was to get input from the community as to what they wanted for Kailua. It was a great opportunity to hear and express our concerns as well as being very informative. These meetings were pretty well attended.

What people wanted was places to shop instead of driving into town and more of a pedestrian friendly area around the center of Kailua. Remember when the old Long’s was in place? The side of the building facing Kailua Road was just a tall wall and very unattractive. In the new design was implemented a set back for the new store front (CPK, Cold Stone etc) to give a broader sidewalk for pedestrian use and also the new fountain for people to stroll and gather. From what I understand, the same concept of pedestrian friendly walkways will be used through the center of town. I must apologize but I should’ve taken better notes at those meetings but this is what stuck in my head.

I truly believe that Kaneohe Ranch is on the side of the residents.(by the way, I’m for getting rid of the illegal b and b’s) They want to make this not only a better place to live but a comfortable one as well. I especially remember before they renovated the Times Shopping Center façade that I was kind of embarrassed at how our Kailua looked. I was at the Town Party today with my daughter and walked by the Kaneohe Ranch booth. They had a poster board of before and after photos of newly renovated buildings. My daughter and I looked at each other and were so amazed at how much better Kailua looks today. (Those old buildings and facades were pretty ugly in retrospect)

Because those meetings were a while ago and things change, maybe new meetings should be established so that residents can voice their opinions and concerns again as what type of stores we would like as well as whatever topics we would like discussed.

We can’t blame Kaneohe Ranch on the affordability or lack there of in Kailua. They don’t determine the value of our property, the cost of gas, food and other essentials/nonessentials. Factor in the HGET and one of the highest income taxes in the country, it’s the State Legislators more than anyone else.

One last thing on Kaneohe Ranch and the low income housing issue. Kaneohe Ranch held the ground lease on those properties only. It is the responsibility of the building owner to upkeep and maintain the building as well as the property. The entire area was on a septic tank system which was and still inadequate. When we had a heavy rain, Kailua Rd would flood in that area because of the overflow of the septic tanks. (Gross) The US EPA came in and condemned the property stating that everything must be torn down and a sewage system must be put in place. Kaneohe Ranch’s concern was the people in the apartments and trying to come up with some type of alternative place to live after they had to vacate. They looked into the vacant parcel behind Safeway of Hamakua Rd but the neighborhood in that area rejected the idea (NIMBY). Because Kaneohe Ranch’s main investment these days is commercial and not that of residential anymore, they sold the land.

The saimin buffet sounds great by the way!!!!!

Very very true.

I'm glad someone has been doing their homework and deals with facts rather than emotions.

I think all of the improvements have been extremely positive and I can't wait till Fromaggio's opens.

From the success of the Town party with both locals and visitors, it is obvious that the promotion of Kailua is great for local businesses.

Thanks M2 for filling me in I didn't get to attend the meeting at Kailua Intermediate back then.
Its no debating upon the subject - - I was just wondering cuz I had read that article and thats what I got from it - like I said I wrote that a few days ago... thats why I asked figure someone who knew or knew some would respond..
Baht its not about getting all facts straight before you write anything (not being sarcastic but jus stating thats how we can learn - from one another by discussing and asking)but then again someone having knowledge on a particular subject sure does help huh!

Everyone perceives things differently. But when you pick through all emotions any writer has you can get a clearer picture of the facts...

For example my son looked at the Kaneohe Ranch plans and saw it from a totally different perspective..
So he jus stayed there told people look at the Urban plan then they came back to him then he directed them to the Keep It Kailua to sign a petition.
I was shocked cuz usually that son is shy- and not a people type person and he initiated that on his own.. which is great he wasn't forcing his beliefs on others jus telling them to take a look and if their response was negative he would tell them about the petition. So what looks one way to one person can look like a whole different picture to the next.
Nothing wrong with that because we all are different and have our personal likes and dislikes.

I'm glad we took your advice Baht and cancelled the Rally/Sit down and went with the green ribbons, It went great. ( I been sick with the flu - especially after my dads B-day Party guess it sucked what energy I had left so I gave my "I Love Kailua" Pin to my brother who came down to visit my parents for him to enjoy the party)
In Kailua the buildings do look nicer.. gosh wish they could renovate me right now.. I feel all broken down...
But I think many will agree with me that the promotion of Kailua does affect us because everything goes higher.. thats what I was trying to say is the fact that they have THE POWER cuz they do in a sense..
As a property manager I can raise the rent...and that affects the tenant for it takes away that much more per month from them... sure there are regulations on how much in a period of time that I can raise it..but still has an affect on them ..and if they can't afford it I could just get someone else who could afford it.. and that then changes the neighborhood because you higher you go with the rents you get a different class of people. Our tenants now are all family so don't have to worry about that but was jus using it as an example.

Thanks M2 for sharing the information it does educate me and others when we share - You can read articles and stuff like that but you have to sift through the politics of it all..
I know there is a luncheon coming up for Kaneohe Ranch saw it on the Lani-kailua outdoor circle site..
don't know if you know about that yet? Hopefully I can make it would like to attend that and learn more.
Like I said when you learn stuff what you felt or thought on one day changes as you learn or sometimes it don't.
Maybe when I read that article I already had the thoughts of what other people were already telling me things along those line that I targeted in on certain words.. I don't know?
Thats one of the reasons I put together this site so we can feel free to discuss without having to worry about getting the facts together first.
I wasn't doggin' out M2's post or anything.. jus figure hey here is someone who may see it differently that has knowledge on this particular subject!
And then there may be someone else with facts or further knowledge.. together we all learn from just talking story :)
Well have a great day you two and all.. I gotta get back to my bed.
Yes Finn & Aunty (who don't post but reads LOL )
If this don't get better I would go to the doctors as I promised and I'm pumpin' down that water and Nyquil..(knocking on wood) my headache of 4 days went away

FOUND THE LUNCHEON LINK FOR FOLKS WHO ARE INTERESTED
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spring General Membership Meeting
May 31, noon
Kaneohe Yacht Club
Salad Luncheon
Presentation by Kimo Steinwascher, Vice President, Leasing, of Kaneohe Ranch

Here is the link to the Lani-kailua outdoor circle site its under their coming events portion of the site.
Click here to go to their site to learn more