Home | Underground History of American Education | History Tour | Bookstore
Newsletter / Discussion Board | Multimedia | Film: 4th Purpose | Retreat | Odysseus Group
About Us | Contact us | Links | Discussion Forum Archive
Return to Website

The Odysseus Group's Education Debate & Discussion Forum

This forum has been created for you, so feel free to use it often to share your ideas, insights, and experiences from which we all can learn. Please note that we will remove postings if they: a) are not germane to the subject of education, b) are advertisements or sales pitches, c) contain profanity, obscenity, or comments that are insulting to readers.

The Odysseus Group's Education Debate & Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Theory of Intelligent School-Board Design
DOVER, PA—The controversial "theory of intelligent school-board design," which holds that local school boards are "imbued by their creator with minds of irreducible complexity," was decisively disproven by the actions of the Dover School Board this week. "The i...
Views: 163   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 31, 2005 2:00pm
by Paul Jervis
It's all about grades
Every year I get one or two complaints as do most of my peers. Invariably its always about the same thing. I have yet in my career to hear a complaint about a student who "isn't learning anything in my class", instead parents complain only about grades. Grades are...
Views: 277   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 31, 2005 5:51am
by katherine
Who controls your children anyway??? Boy dies while parents coerced.
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=48130
Views: 263   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 30, 2005 10:09pm
by Bobby in western...
what's an educator to do?
Hello all, my name is shuron and I am currently enrolled in the education department at the University of Missouri St. Louis. I am reading in the Exhausted School book and find myself to be a victim of schooling. It is my wish to ensure that no child under my car...
Views: 208   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 30, 2005 7:57pm
by Leslie
Spartacus, Vitamin C or Vitamin D?
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/12/28/vitamin.cancer.study/ Report: Vitamin D can cut cancer risk Wednesday, December 28, 2005 Posted: 1315 GMT (2115 HKT) (CNN) -- A large daily dose of vitamin D can dramatically lower the risk of developing common cance...
Views: 169   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 30, 2005 12:48pm
by Spartacus
j
js
Internet/education
I saw Jeffrey Cole on C/SPAN this AM talking about the internet and demographic trends. He said that in some college classrooms, Internet connections had been placed at each student desk. Teachers found that they weren't helpful because some kids did other things on...
Views: 179   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 30, 2005 12:27pm
by Bobby in western...
Let No Man Deceive You
Let No Man Deceive You Introduction Near the end of the Messiah's ministry, His disciples asked what would be the sign of the end of the Post Diluvium Age, which began with Noah coming out of the ark after the flood and ended at the Messiah's death. He a...
Views: 193   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 29, 2005 4:56pm
by js
Edward L. Bernays
[first, Crystallizing Public Opinion, and the second, Propaganda. Adolf Hitler is said to have displayed both on a table in his office under a poster-sized picture of Henry Ford.9 9Less than a decade later, Bernays was proud to add Adolf Hitler to his list of client...
Views: 141   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 29, 2005 4:53pm
by js
j
js
The lust to dominate others
http://www.lewrockwell.com/rozeff/rozeff55.html Thou Shalt Not Dominate by Michael S. Rozeff Inside the human animal, escaping wide notice, lies the drive to dominate. Either we learn to transcend this drive, or we journey toward a world dominated by one pow...
Views: 182   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 29, 2005 4:26pm
by js
from Aleksandra Tolstaya's "The Tragedy of Tolstoy"
Just thought i would share an excerpt from a book i am reading online right now... from: Aleksandra Tolstaya's "The Tragedy of Tolstoy" Chapter 14: ------------------>8--------------------------- I got up early in the morning, had my coffee, and ran to the...
Views: 148   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 29, 2005 1:26pm
by hazey myst
Well, has everyone piggied out ....
We cooked a goose and turkey yesterday. Not too many leftovers today. (Burp) All the best to everyone.
Views: 146   Replies: 10
Last Post: Dec 28, 2005 7:15pm
by Spartacus
Does anyone find state-required reports instrusive and an invasion of privacy
is anyone aware of somebody (ANYBODY?) thats ever been formally *charged* with not filing 'required' state reports? we've found the reports to be laborious, inconvenient, INTRUSIVE, and probably constitutionally unlawful. i've searched but cant find any cases....
Views: 283   Replies: 21
Last Post: Dec 28, 2005 8:57am
by Thomas Levine
A Question and Something I noticed this week
The question is short, so that will be first: What do schools say is the purpose of writing essays in school (especially when every student writes the same essay)? Second, the thing I noticed: This actually seems pretty obvious, but I feel like posting it becaus...
Views: 307   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 27, 2005 5:06pm
by js
Thank God school's out for now
Thank God school's out for now. I'm starting to feel normal (gasp!?!?)
Views: 180   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 27, 2005 3:15pm
by Bobby in western...
d
darrel
FEMA Camp Video
http://www.lonelantern.org/femacamp.html
Views: 227   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 27, 2005 1:50pm
by eleana
s
Sid
To Jerry, if you're still out there...
Hi, I was somewhat shocked to see that you felt you had to go. I have only just read that particular post - been too tied up in other threads... I was intrigued that you were in 'nam. I thought you might have a lot to 'teach' us all on that point. For the record,...
Views: 244   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 27, 2005 9:45am
by js
m
Mugato
Views: 211   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 27, 2005 6:07am
by Mugato
Education
For years I have suspected, a huge problem in our public schools, and throught our Nation. Odysseus Group has answered my questions,. My Mother taught school when I was a little boy (1946-1954). Then one day she said she couldn't and wouldn't do it anymore,. Her...
Views: 380   Replies: 24
Last Post: Dec 26, 2005 8:55pm
by Leslie
Finally!
I've been ranting to my friends for years that we are products of a system designed to make us into automatons, great consumers. I sat back and looked at the educational system as a whole and realized that I didn't learn anything at my very exclusive college. I was...
Views: 317   Replies: 22
Last Post: Dec 23, 2005 4:24pm
by Sid
I want to know what Mugato thinks.
Come Mugato, stop sliding around under other people's posts. Let us hear what you have to say about education. Or, if you prefer, tell us the title of the book you've written so we can read it. Rebecca in CA
Views: 288   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 23, 2005 9:21am
by js
Mother hit with home schooling audit after slamming county
http://www.dcexaminer.com/articles/2005/12/20/news/maryland_news/01newsmd20homeschool.txt A mother seeking an apology from Montgomery County officials was taken back when she received a phone call from her daughter's former school shortly after she went public a...
Views: 253   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 23, 2005 9:17am
by js
Judge rules against intelligent design
If you ever wondered why our schools are so bad consider that the major decisions are made by judges, politicians and beaurocrats instead of parents and teachers (that is teachers chosen freely by parents rather than forced upon them by the state). http://apnews...
Views: 256   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 22, 2005 5:26pm
by Spartacus
Einstein quote
I found this quote from Einstein at the beginning of "Teach Your Own" by John Holt. I find it very powerful. "It is, in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this...
Views: 296   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 22, 2005 6:25am
by Sid
s
Sid
Schooling opens doors?
Hi, Thought I might post this: "There is a story a westerner tells of his first visit with a tribe of Native Americans. He was sitting in a home, watching a toddler play about while the adults talked. Noticing that the child was having trouble opening a heavy w...
Views: 225   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 21, 2005 1:46am
by Sid
The natural result of Anarchy
Folks, Lee Harris wrote the following article about the natural outcome of anarchy. http://www.techcentralstation.com/090805D.html It is a short article. Ron
Views: 329   Replies: 19
Last Post: Dec 19, 2005 10:58pm
by Bobby in western...
Cute baby wanna play...
Yap, I was a smart attitude-problem from the very beginning... www.babywisdom.4t.com
Views: 207   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 19, 2005 8:44am
by PublicSchoolEnem...
56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65
Free Forum powered by Bravenet