Kailua Speaks Out - Forum

Please feel free to post - Use The "Reply" Button

Kailua Speaks Out - Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FARMERS MARKET

Went to the farmers Market this mornin'

To pick up some vegi's for granny(my mom)

and for myself, for some soup.

You gotta love those people - some are so funny - especially how they interact with the people.

Found some great deals and ran into a vegi that caught my eye.. it set a lightbulb off in my head. I then asked what it was... and they said : "Bitter Melon" I thought it was my mom who enjoyed that so picked one up looked at it for a bit..was thinkin' mmm

the sound of it jus don't turn my tastebuds on , but, I bought one anyway to surprise my mom. 

The surprise was on me it wasn't my mom who liked it and used to eat it , but..It was her mom !

So my mom was like "I don't even know how to prepare it".. So Online I went with my mom on hold on the phone in search for recipes and came up with this link The have recipes on the site too.

"The National Bitter Melon Council"

I did pick up the pepinella (Portuguese) which for years I called it pepinelish LOL but many know it as "Chayote" Found out more today on my online research that it is used for medicinal purposes too..

My mom usually skins the Pepinella and steams it then cubes it up in a frying pan with those small shrimp (dried kine) flavors it with garlic,salt,pepper - good nighttime pupu

I myself like to add it to soups - substitute it for potatoes or green papaya soup

The Pepinella works juz fine for me

Here is a couple sites for Pepinella info

Bland squash has fancy list of names  - SanFransico Chronicle

Chayote-

Last night I ended up in the E.R. - feelin' a little better today- guess my flu that I had since I started this site wasn't jus a flu..well still could be (crossing fingers)but 4 weeks of being sick is kinda long.. still got loads of test to go thru.. so I'll be eating lots of soups!

If you folks never been to the Thursday Mornin' Farmers Market - Its a great place to get FRESH vegi's/fruits and sometimes even shrimp and fish.

Take care all and have a great day! Aloha & A *** Hou!