Kailua Speaks Out - Forum

Please feel free to post - Use The "Reply" Button

Kailua Speaks Out - Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Happy May Day To All

May 1st is a special day in Hawai'i Nei.. I think back to the days when I was in elementary school and the excitement that May Day brought to all..
Garlands of flowers - yup those sweet leis of various strands portraying each island in color and fragrance.
The Royal Court - The learning of the different ethnic groups were performed by each group and grade..and the most memorable part was seeing everyone holding hands as a family singing our state song and May Day is Lei Day In Hawaii...
So for those of you that can think back hopefully those memories will make your day a special one.
Happy May Day To All

Re: Happy May Day To All

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news....but those memories may fade away for the children of today.

Thus far, two schools in KAILUA...have decided NOT to carry on the tradition..what a shame !

Kailua Intermediate - going with a "Spring fest Day"
on May 18th 2007
( I called the school, this was a unanimous vote among the staff. Reason being, not enough participation)

Kalaheo High will have a " Cultural Day" on Friday, May 4, 2007. ( Was transfered to Student Body ..regarding this matter) Only a answering machine...

I am curious to find out if this was the choice of the students, or the staff members.

Lanikai School will have their May Day Program on Friday May 4, 2007.

May Day has been around for 80 years.

Written by Genoa Keawe ( Mahalo Aunty Genoa )

May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii
Garlands of flowers everywhere
All of the colors in the rainbow
Maidens with blossoms in their hair

Flowers that mean we should be happy
Throwing aside a load of care
Oh, May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii
May Day is happy days out there

Awwww that is sad news... more so because May Day like I said always shared the different cultures by participation of dancing and not only that helps the students understand the culture of Hawaii and others while they practice and learn etc...
So it was great learning tool for our keiki's to understand that in hawaii there are different ethnic groups "A melting pot" but we have fun together and are not segregated like some places in the Continental US.. that's why a few years was enough for me up there I came back home and kissed the ground and said "YUP~ Lucky I live Hawai'i - Hawai'i No Ka Oe"

Enchanted Lakes Elementary will be having their May Day Program on

Friday May 11th 9:30am - 10:30am (May Day Program)

I believe they will have a full court as they did last year.. It was beautiful and the queen danced beautiful hula.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The students crafted up some leis - keyrings all kinds other stuff..so they will also have a
May Day Craft sale will follow the May Day program at 10:30 to 11am

guess we typed same time 2 funny-
but me I type more so took longer for me to post it LOL ..
Thanks for sharing the May Day Is Lei day Song
Ha ha got one for you.. without cheating and googlin' it can you name the islands and colors that represents each island LOL
How bout the flowers?