Kailua Speaks Out - Forum

Please feel free to post - Use The "Reply" Button

Kailua Speaks Out - Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
THE HOMELESS IN OUR COMMUNITY SPEAKS OUT

Talked to a few homeless people in our community today and they too had a few things to say..

Like there was supposed to be a shelter in Kailua.. but the idea was shut down / because Kailua people didn't want a shelter for the homeless in Kailua..
There are many people around town living in cars and on the beach etc.. some of these people do work full time...

On The Survey people took on this site there was a question regarding the homeless issue as follows.

What should we do about the homeless in Kailua?

Answers Votes Percent
1. Open a shelter for the homeless. 21%
2. Work with the social service organizations to
help them. 58%
3. Arrest them 16%
4. Nothing 5%

The majority on this short poll was voted that we should work with the social service organizations
and next runner up was opening a shelter..

-------------------------------------------------
"WORK WITH SOCIAL SERVICES ORGANIZATIONS"

In Kailua the homeless person told me that church groups go around offering food etc to alot of our kailua homeless community and that they appreciate it.
They mentioned two groups in particular Hope@ Kailua Intermediate school helps as well as the other Hope Chapel a bigger church--
So Mahalo Nui Loa going out to those groups who are helping .. I'm sure there are yet more..
If you want to participate or help out contact those two churches I will try to obtain contact numbers and or if they could use volunteers or how the rest of community that are interested could contribute..
if you find it in your hearts to contribute to this Cause .

-------------------------------------------------

"SHELTERING"
One homeless person I talked to said that maybe set up a place like in Waimanalo back road where it is out of vision where homeless people can drive their cars and park / sleep and or pitch a tent during certain hours of the night and maybe even gate it and let people come in and out only specific times.. (during nite time when they get chased out of public parks & beaches probably would be the best )

Any ideas on sheltering the homeless in Kailua - some of the homeless people in Kailua work in Kailua and can't afford to go downtown and I think it has to do with check in times for shelters - you have to check in at a certain time...

So any ideas or suggestions on this avenue of "sheltering the homeless " ?
--------------------------------------------------

"ARRESTING THE HOMELESS"

Note ** In our poll you will also see the 3 votes for arresting the homeless ...
sorta weird that SMALL percentage were the same ones who voted for legalizing ILLEGAL TVU's/B&Bs ..or ignoring them
Now thats not too nice huh?!!
I could see the criminals who are homeless but not all homeless people are criminals!!
So I don't see that as a positive -- gosh lets give the ILLEGAL people permits but lock up people because the ILLEGAL PEEPS turned long term rentals into vacation rentals and drove the taxes so high that people in our community can no longer can afford to rent homes in kailua then they jus tore down or in the process of other homes..so now the supply to rent is going lower and lower..
That's really "Sharing" Kailua!!!

SO SORRY I DON'T AGREE WITH ARRESTING HOMELESS UNLESS THEY ARE DOING CRIMINAL ACTS..

------------------------------------------------
" NOTHING"
The remainder voting was 5% do nothing..

-----------------------------------------------

Re: THE HOMELESS IN OUR COMMUNITY SPEAKS OUT

It's always easier to say than doing something. Unfortunately everyone has the attitude of ...that's a great idea, but not in my backyard.

I say build a huge complex for them to reside in with stipulations that they have to be actively be contributing to the system. Those who don't want to, have them live in communes where they have to be self-supportive. These communes could have their own counselors, services, etc. Hate to say it but if they don't want to help with the problem, then let them deal with it themselves.

LOL I agree with that Baht..
A couple years ago I decided along with my husband at that time to try to help a few of the homeless..well
we gave them jobs with our company then..and even opened our door and let one live in a room .. .. well all hell broke loose.. I ended up having other homeless people visiting that one then coming into my house stealing my puppy , money ,jewelry ..MY X BOX arghhh and even trimmin' our christmas tree -- guess that person was tweakin' on drugs.. trying to make a chicken out of it like KFC has..

Then they were living in the bushes across the street more and more actually they said HPD sent em there when they were chased away from the bridge! ..
it was to the point where they were burning Kiawe day and nite and my boys are highly allergic and it triggers their asthma and one of my boys had a partial lung removal - so it was to the ER and they missed alot of school.. ARGHHhhhh... Then they were doing drug deals in front of our house..fighting at all hours with each other..
They built tree houses in the trees and it was a nightmare..
It took lots of calls to the poor police department who really didn't want to hear our complaining.. And we didn't really want to complain,,, then I had to go to meetings.. it was a pain in the behind..
And your right they need to help themselves too which some of them do..but some of them are too caught up into drugs and alcohol..and its a vicious circle..

I do like your idea about counselors and stuff.. something so they can gradually learn how to be self supporting..and get the professional help to fit their particular needs..because some can be dangerous!
I learned a lesson too with all that.. JUST SAY NO WHEN SOMEONE SAYS THEY NEED HELP OR DIRECT THEM TO ORGANIZATIONS THAT PROVIDE SERVICES!
It's not the loss of the material things that got to me but just the fact that you go out of your way to help someone (and I'm struggling big time myself) and they steal from you.. OUCH!

Now a days I don't let people stay on or near my home.. I'll drive thru and pick up a extra burger cuz if you give them money they use it for other things..(some not all)
and yup jus as there are good and bad in every part of our community even the homeless community!
So counseling and supervision if building a shelter or homeless community park would have to be embedded into something of that nature most definetly!

One of these days I'll learn how to write a lot less and get more to the point.. Ah what the heck I'm talkin story not writing an article..
Good nite I'm out of here - have a blessed nite all!
(yawn)

I would have to AGREE with Baht...

Some of the homeless with certain medical conditions would not be able to function properly if employed, or if responsibilities were assigned to them, some of the individuals that I have seen in and around Kailua seem to have a tough time even dealing with society.

I am uncertain if counseling for some would be beneficial. I am talking about those who seem to be delusional from drugs, that are homeless. I am uncertain if they have families here, or if they have refused the help of the medical facilities that are able to assist them.

However, they all deserve help and assistance.

NIMBY -

I didn't know they have groups "Not In My Back Yard"

Reminds me of that green dude "Gumby"

I can relate to some not wanting homeless in their yard front or back after the experience I went through with a certain group of homeless people..

Like my dad always said "God helps them who helps themselves" You can pray and pray all day for water to come to you..but its better to say and pray

"Give me the strength to go get the water"

There was a letter  in the Star Bulletin today

"editorial Letter" read it this morning ..and , it was kinda harsh but true, but I may  disagree with people moving off the island for those reasons.. and to think of the keiki's --  maybe to move to realize what we have or ummm had in Hawaii- and to appreciate our culture and upbringing.. because I much rather raise my children in Hawaii where everyone is like family- I tried that mainland thing and yikes!! couldn't wait to get my children back to our refuge - where everyone is aunty & uncle etc....... but the girl did make good points! overall

Here is the link to her article she submitted

Hawaii's homeless can take some control

Re: How Many Homeless People Died at Kailua Beach???

This is a question many people are asking ...

How Many homeless people died in the last year at Kailua Beach?? Some say like 7- 10 is this true???
This is all jus' "Talk on the street" none of it is confirmed etc...
Just last night it was brought to my attention that two homeless individuals got into a fight and hours later one of them died from they think internal bleeding...Known as "Rick"

I recall one that died in a car on our road (jus' didn't wake up) and another in the pavilion (jus didn't wake up)... there are many homeless that are dying from unknown causes or reasons..
Some assume from drugs or bad drugs (drugs that has been tampered with)and others have other suspicions..but these individuals seem to slip through the cracks of our community and even though I myself had some bad encounters and experiences with some of the homeless it doesn't mean that my heart don't go out to them.
It is a struggle and a whole different world living the street life it's a circle that some never get to get out of- especially if the community ignores the problem instead of trying to find solutions to the problem.
Does anybody know exactly the number of deaths at Kailua Beach of our homeless?
What about having the city place security guards on our beach doing patrol work since there does seem to be lots of crime taking place??
Those were some of the questions that people had asked me to post.. Please feel free to respond ..

It would be eerie if it were true