Kailua Speaks Out - Forum

Please feel free to post - Use The "Reply" Button

Kailua Speaks Out - Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Discussing - Honolulu Advertisers Articles

Todays article:
City Considers Tougher Tactics for illegal rentals 4/23/07 Honolulu advertiser LINK TO ARTICLE BELOW
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Its amazing if you read the blog for discussing this article on the Honolulu Advertiser site.. You clearly see how the ILLEGAL people work..how they twist things -- Do think the rest of us residents are stupid?? That we can't read right through their lies..
And that tourist-- Wow I never met a tourist so involved in the politics in a place they jus visit!
Seemed to me like an inside job!! They slipped up in the heated letter and left us a couple clues that ummm this don't sound like a tourist to me !!! LOL--
I guess they win the limbo contest cuz they be going real low - how low can you go...
Hello Why do we want to make something ILLEGAL LEGAL.. thats like saying hey lets legalize prostitution ?? They are prostituting our community and as far as I'm concerned my community is not for sell!! I commend Mayor Mufi and DPP Mike Friedel for at least making a step in the right direction!!
Enough is enough ready! Ho'o malamalama Kailua
Honolulu Advertiser - 4/23/07 "City Considers tougher tactics for illegal rentals"

Re: Discussing - Honolulu Advertisers Articles

Well that's a pretty slippery slope. It's like immigration. Do you believe in making illegal immigration illegal by kicking people out of the U.S.? Or do you try to work within the system and make it legal?

Immigrants have nothing to do with illegal vacation rentals.

That would be like planting a marijuana plant in your back yard and letting it grow, perhaps if enough people ***** and moan, it will eventually become legal, and you can reap the benefits of selling it and making extra income.

The difference is people are reaping the benefits of rentals that ARE ILLEGAL, what is so complicating about those facts?

Starting a subject, completely off the topic is so ridiculous.

It was a hypothetical question. I believe that you tend to take things too literally.

Thank you for answering the question that I didn't really expect to hear a response to.

Yep you can't compare apples with banana's sure their both fruits but a different fruit all together..

Oh2Funny4You
LMAO--
Picture this down Kailua Beach Bike Path..........

People pushing around carts down Kailua beach called "da grass shacks" and selling medicinal marijuana --
but jus as long as they don't get caught selling to unlicensed NON MEDICAL USE people its okay..
They too will be making groups with names like : "Ho'o Pakalolo" trying to convince the public and find loopholes on how Tutu Kane needs to smoke
and since it helps Tutu Kane medically and keeps him mellow then Tutu is stay happy and the whole ohana is one big happy family!
they are not harming the public so lets give out more permits to others to sell distribute and partake
so they can support their family and send them to college. and the whole town will be in a copacetic state of mind. And not only that since the tourist are
always looking for "Maui Wowie" well then that will be catering to the tourist too ... LMAO
Gosh I better shush up thats all our city needs is one more group of people making up stories to make something illegal - Legal!

---------
Illegal is Illegal and yes Immigrants who ILLEGALLY enter US should be sent back..sorry but thats why we have laws set forth for people
to follow and obey them and if we disobey the law we have to pay a fine and or pay our debt to society..
-------
slippery is the lies and loopholes that those slippery eels take to try and convince others that they are not doing things ILLEGALLY.
In my book they are (professional criminals) they intentional lie and evade the facts and refuse to cooperate with the community
but yet they want the community to cooperate with them by making their ILLEGAL acts Legal...By giving them a permit ????
Sounds rather FISHY to me..
They in my book are not only criminals but habitual criminals and since they are grouping together they should also be counted as acting in criminal conspiracy..

and NO THEY SHOULD NOT GET A PERMIT TO MAKE THEIR WRONG A RIGHT!!
Then they try to say that because the tourist need these accomadations.. Give me a break!! Then set up more in areas which are legally zoned for such activity and leave our neighborhoods alone..

I say give them the "Alleged Criminals" all a long vacation in our lovely Oh triple C bed & breakfast facility- so they can be with the others who break the laws!!
---------------------------------------------
criminal 1) n. a popular term for anyone who has committed a crime, whether convicted of the offense or not.

And of course all parties are considered innocent until proven guilty by the court of law
So yes it may not be factual and its jus' bloggin upon the subject of the matter --

August 9th 2006
Letters to the Editor
PARADISE LOST
"GROWTH HAS CHOKED OUT OUR HAWAI'I OF THE PAST"

This letter to the editor speaks for itself!
CLICK HERE TO READ THE ABOVE ARTICLE

And I want to add to the above ..

And so businesses and company's like Kaneohe Ranch are excited about the change for it means more business opportunities for them - people with more money means more money for them...
So out with the old people in with a new clients thus a new Kailua...
So where does all the locals go... either relocates to elsewhere / homeless /
So our islands and our Kailua is pretty much pau because basically it got sold out!
People that came in had a different culture growing up (which is jus the way they were raised in the mainland - not necessarily the wrong way - but for them to point fingers and to judge our way our style thats wrong) but they came - they bought - they reform - they change not only the exterior of our neighborhoods and town but there is one thing they cannot change... That is the people..and the "Aloha Spirit" It is very very sad but what can we do?
They call it progress ~ I call it mutilation of something beautiful ~ The fancy houses, fancy businesses , fancy gates don't make Hawaii - Its the people - No matter if they get buckets for lawn chairs - buss up yards whatevers -- That's something some mainland people JUST DONT GET!!

Well you can't blame alot of local families (the newer generation) to want the nice house they see on the Mainland. I definitely would.

I would say the average home age in Kailua is 20 - 30+ years old. So they are definitely ready for some remodels.

They want the "look" of the new home, but don't want to reside in it.
There are people who live in million dollar homes and are unhappy individuals searching for happiness.....
A house that is functional, makes a better home to me.
I personally prefer the old plantation houses, with a wrap around porch, and front deck.
Butttttttttttttttttt, that's my preference.

2 Funny,
True story
I lived in various places in the mainland and the types of people that have swarmed to Kailua and other places around our island.
This is like a vacation home for them..or a business...they like to call it "their second home"

This is what makes it hard for us people who call this island our home for our children to buy houses because they have the funds to buy and develop more rapidly..
The Real-estate industry of course will rather sell to a developer rather than an individual and most individuals don't qualify for a loan of these sizes..

Once the developer buys it then they put up a big house and... tadah!.
This generates more BUSINESS for all involved for it increases all the surrounding houses values... this is future clients for them.. Who suffers "the local residents" Hawn' or Haole' no matter-
Just like this so called affordable housing going up in Kailua....even the price of those condo's are outstandingly high priced so who is it affordable for? ...
Now, if Kaneohe Ranch was so community orientated and for the common people in Kailua - Why did it sell the most prime spot for an affordable rental units off to a developer ? because of MONEY - of course its a business!! and its a good business move!
And they do the same darn thing in the business district of mom & pop they shove them out too! Yes there have been more and more businesses closing shop if you look through the Advertiser and Star Bulletin you can read the sad stories of how they were forced to close shop!!
There needs to be some control on the amount of development that is taking over our island at whole..

Development in the residential & business districts does create jobs in the construction industry but what people are failing to realize is our land/resources on the islands are limited..
So like domino's this development will go on and on until it's exhausted then the prices will continue to rapidly go up & up!! the prices the buildings the class of people..
They call this "progress" so they say!! but like anything and everything... if it's in excess it then causes an unbalance and it causes havock in our communities...they don't care for they are in it for the money!
It's very sad to see the place WE call home destroyed by business people profiting off the place we call home.. where our families for generations shared memories , where our families had to struggle to make a living. We used to pull together with "one hand helping the other" now it's one hand shaking our hand and the other one stabbing us in the back...We as a community an island OHANA need to stand like we did in da ol' days and stop these businesses from doing this it isn't only a Kailua problem these DEVELOPERS are RUINING not only our island but our culture , our families - They build faster than we can stop or put limitations- They open shops like the illegal TVU's & B&B's faster and faster and it generates more money for them to continue to buy build increase housing values and more and more people will become homeless and forced to move to the mainland or other places..

Something needs to be done and quick - Its not going to stop until We The People of Hawaii Stand together and Put them Out of Business.
Too bad they can't make an island law that states if you don't reside here you cant buy here.. When I did the GIS a good handful of the owners were businesses as the property owner.. and that is sad.. Its like who is my neighbor "oh XXX LLC location mainland"
So They don't even care what the house looks like for they don't have to live in it..They don't have to get blisters on their hands to do yardwork for they have the money to hire a full yard service (money that they get from illegal businesses pay for this) they don't have to SURVIVE and struggle to live here -- but yet they grumble that our homes don't match their homes in quality or exterior...
And this is exactly what's going on in our town- they are so so worried & ashamed about it being an ugly Kailua not like Kohala or other ritzy towns when they should be more ashamed about the fundamentals of things like where it is Family orientated or hold the same values as our parents held! Where you support the old mom & pop stores make sure them and others in our community can keep up with the so called progress!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But you know what Home is where the heart is!! and even though our homes don't match their homes on the outside - Our homes on the inside got a priceless treasure and that is OUR FAMILIES and that is something they will never understand! because the only faces they want to see are those on top of the dollar bills!
I rather be poor and live in a tent and be happy ..than live in a mansion and lack the love that is given by a real family!!
So when they play the Better than Jones game -- we will live the Hawaiian Way and I still say "Love conquers all"
Sure it's nice to have a town that is all decked out but I rather have a town and an neighborhood that is more Ohana like and not upnosed upscaled overpriced and touristy - Kailua is not a business it is our home!!
In the newspaper it keeps saying Kailua is the town that has that so called "few" that are making the most noise! I say IMUA KAILUA good for you!! for making that noise its better than those who grumble and don't do nothing to try to help!! Its time we all make noise cuz it will have a negative impact on our whole island if we don't stand up NOW for our OHANA for our culture and our AINA!!
It's not over-reacting its fact!! We need to stand in UNITY - despite our differences we need to make a choice are you going to go with the destruction of our island or help with aiding those who are out to SAVE our Aina from the GREED of these people..
What would your parents of done the ones that came here long ago and worked the land learned the culture and made Hawaii the family melting pot..
Pidgen was a language that they used to communicate with each other. Now the only communication seems to be the sign of MONEY!
Money talks and Bullkukai walks --
This is not progress folks this is extermination of our culture and our people!
Our children shouldn't have to relocate to the mainland where they have more segregation and the culture is different this is our aina!

HERE IS AN ARTICLE I JUST FOUND ...

'Developing problem' puts Hawai'i at risk

This in the Opinion - commentary from the Advertiser...

Aloha, I have been a caretaker for months and I am just now finding out about this. I have moved out but I want to know if I have any responsibility for several past vacation rentals and weddings at the property where I worked and what should I do from here. Mahalo for your time, aloha.