Kailua Speaks Out - Forum

Please feel free to post - Use The "Reply" Button

Kailua Speaks Out - Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TALK ABOUT KAILUA BEACH

Got questions or comments about Kailua Beach & Park discuss it within this section

Re: TALK ABOUT KAILUA

When I was in sixth grade at Kailua Elementary, I remember selling sweet bread door to door as a fund raiser. Selling the tickets wasn't bad but 2 months later when I was delivering orders, somewhere north of Oneawa I got bit by a dog. Big gash in my leg, bleeding everywhere. I walked down Oneawa and as I was going past the alley between where Zippys is now and the dog grooming place - it was really an alley with a dirty old barbershop and a lot of what appeared to be dirty old men hanging out, this old man with this huge stogie - or so it appeared to me - this old filipino man called to me. I went to him cautiously and he said " come come closer." When i got to him - he looked at my leg and said dog gotcha. I said yeh. He took that stogie, squeezed the juice out into his palm and then rubbed it on the gash in my leg. Didn't sting or anything but I felt better cause someon care. two days later, the gash was healed. three weeks later, I didn't even have a scar. Old time Hawaii Aloha and Spirit. Everyone took care of everyone back then. This was 1964.
I later - 7 or 8 years later wrote a poem about this experience. It was abrupt but the way Hawaii was - all up front - no f***ng around. All good people.

Re: TALK ABOUT KAILUA BEACH

Post was supposed to be about Kailua Beach. You are talking about being bitten by a dog on Oneawa street. I don't understand.

By the way, Kailua Beach is lovely, a great place for tourists.

Agree that Kailua Beach is beautiful.

Kailua Beach A Great Place For Tourist?
Now are you being sarcastic or just inconsiderate of our Aina'

Its a great place for ANYONE who wants to appreciate our AINA and breath in the gift so many of us take for granted. Whether it be tourist or local people living in Hawaii.

I have lots of memories of Kailua beach my mother who is 79 she used to camp on this beach when she was two.. she has lots of stories in which she shared with us..
My father he lived here so he has "choke" memories choke= lots if you are unfamiliar with the local lingo..
He told me that there used to be a wooden Pier in the Kailua bay that extended out.. got ruined by the tidal wave..
As for me whew -- I used to take the rowboat out go to flatisland "Popoia" used to collect limo come home chop up those tomato and onion mix it with shoyu and vinegar Awww... and Owama season time .. I had lots of fun times fishing with the ol filipino chinese men .. I used to catch bucket fulls and then give some to Uncle OB O'Brien.. then when they went out fishing they would send some our way.. Oh those Papio's that swam with those owamas .. I tell you those fish cry but they fry better..
Not to mention my Kalama family are all out in the bay so the Kailua Bay holds sentimental value to me and so when I see it marketed off like an auction for the gain of profit .. It hurts inside..
As I put up this site cousin Kai "Chris Kalama" comes to mind - all the accomplishments that he endured in his time .. Kai just passed away but I feel driven by him to keep on the route I am going - Kai would do it!! I remember Uncle Charlie on that beach and him singing his "helicopter blues" -- I remember playing volleyball down the beach with the Moses' family - meeting up playing music cha lang a lang kind- having barbeques and meeting others who would sit down cruise and just join the party and yes even tourist would come and sit down listen to music and jus pupu on the steak that was cut up off the grill.. It wasn't about money it was about ALOHA ..
I think the memories are these memories are going to be the ones that make people realize what damage this place will encounter if we allow people to monopolize off the place we call home..
How hard is it for us to share memories to remind us of the good in the times of bad??
Well those are my thoughts my feelings and my memories of Kailua - Kailua Beach ... You may disect it any way you wish you may think what you like but those are memories that come from the heart!! Memories that Nobody can take from me... Money can't buy it because there is no price comparable..
Ah Kailua ~

LOL I put Limo not Limu its supposed to be Limu..
I wouldn't eat any now anyway even if it did float up wouldn't trust it with the water all polluted..
Now I'm getting hungry for that Limu Salad

Finn by the way loved ya story...
I remember when there was a service station there by that alley..it was where zippys is now.. They used to sell cigs for 75 cents a pack whew!!
Then that lane well driveway when I knew it..go into the back section of the old McDonalds parking lot..

I remember selling those Portuguese Sausage & Sweet Bread too for fourth grade Big Island trip.. yeah send kids out with sausages all da dogs and cats would be trailing us LOL on delivery day..
Great story again thanks for sharing

And now there is barely a fish in the bay. The Kalama's no longer live in Kailua (except for 2 of them) because everyone had to move away to make a living. The beach is eroding and all you see are the ugly roots of Pine and Ironwood trees that will soon be removed.

These are all natural changes. My kids wont ever be able to talk about how they ran up and down the soft white sand on the beach because the sand is no longer white or soft. They wont be able to talk about jumping off the little rocks of the boat ramp because those rocks are buried under the sand.

My kids will be far too busy talking about how they had to bust their okole in school because they know that if they want to continue to live in Kailua, that they need to get a good education and a good job.

I don't know what fantasy world you are all living in, or maybe you are just filthy rich, but the working people do not have the opportunity to enjoy or reflect upon these happy times.

Working people do not have time to cruise in starbucks, jamba juice, borders, etc. Life is not about fun and games. Times are changing and nobody can stop change (maybe slow it a little). The key is to not be left behind.

20% of Hawai'i's residents are one paycheck away from being homeless. For the layperson, that means these people do not have a savings account, and their bills and monthly expenses are either equal to or more than their monthly income.

So while you are all out there trying to stop business growth in kailua, you are hurting your community because you are forcing people to go to town to work. You are limiting their options, if there are no job opportunities in Kailua, then people need to go to town to work. This entails catching the bus or buying a vehicle and incurring more bills. Additionally, you are creating at least 2 hours of travel time( time which they could be spending having "story time") because now they have to drive to town to make ends meet. The list goes on and on.

Could your group be more of the problem, rather than the solution?

Here is my daily schedule:
5:00 Wake up & get ready
5:30 Cook for my kids & have it ready by 6:00
6:00 Wake the kids up, Feed them, Get them ready.
6:30 Leave the house (wife takes kids to school then goes to work)
6:30-7:40 In traffic wasting over an hour in traffic
8:00 Get to work
5:30 Leave work
6:45 Get home after wasting over an hour in traffic
7:00 Cook dinner
7:30 Wife gets home with kids after she works 8 hours (the kids have spent 2 hours in after school care and another 2 hours with their grandparents who are nice enough to watch them. My wife has spend 8 hours working)
7:45 We all eat until 8:15 or so and catch up
8:15-9:00 the kids bathe and unwind.
10:00 - Kids are in bed (wash clothes, dishes etc)
10:30 iron my clothes and pack up my lunch and the kids lunch for the next day and finish up work that I had not finished.
11:30 go to sleep for 5 1/2 hours
5:00 wake up again

I am fortunate I only have one job. It could be much worse. The weekends are spent doing the yard and maybe taking the kids to the beach. Not much time to relax. I am sure you can relate.

I'm not against businesses just the type of businesses .. and I'm not out to turn Kailua back in time or anything jus reminiscing about the old days like all people do.. and hoping that this whole situation don't get more worst than it already is..
I'm all for businesses opening jus have businesses that us regular bust ass working people can afford. Like you tear down a bowling alley put up something else for our children to utilize and families can entertain in.. I'm all for making our town a community residential town .. I'm not for making this place a rat race Waikikish town playing Miss Lomilomi to sell fake flower leis to tourist.. And having overpriced High Make mak type stores for the elite to shop in.. Jus keep it real..
I personally appreciate all the work that lots of the volunteers and organizations do to help keep our home town a nice place.. I've volunteer and am willing to volunteer.. I'm not the bad guy out to destroy our town.. or gal! If I'm wrong I'll be the first to say hey I'm wrong .. for I'm not perfect .. not really smart but got enough upstairs to know things... My mouth may tend to get me in trouble but I LOVE PEOPLE .. people may misread misjudge etc.. but I just want my home to stay a community residential place not a workplace for people to flock to gain employment... Like Waikiki Tourist destination everyone flocks there for work and to make money Even drug dealers .. I just don't want Kailua to be that next Tourist destination that people flock to to make a buck because this town is my home..
I'm not an English major nor am I a privlidged rich kid .. but I'm sure you can understand what I am saying.. If Kailua ... well its already turned into the #1 tourist destination sorta speaking.. and its being marketed that way.. now if its being marketed as a tourist destination will not businesses jump on that opportunity to serve the tourist and make a buck off of it...???? And then wont more and more businesses of that nature enter our town and do the same YES it will bring jobs to our children and other children but doesn't also bring other things??? And correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is what many do not want .. Yes we are tired of struggling and commuting but to have that rat race on this side of the island .. Thats not the Kailua I want..
Okay I'm done talking -- I'll let other people talk .. People who are more into this whole money thing.. gotta get back to work .. Aloha all and hope all of you have a Wonderful Easter Weekend..

Lanikai is better to me personally.

Isn't that a private community?
Hey there you go good idea why not put up shops and stuff in Lanikai that way lots of the stores can be right by their homes and knock down a few of those houses and set up shops and let the windsurfers give lessons on the Lanikai Beach.. make the park a parking lot.. Yeah lets see how many Lanikai Homeowners will make room for Lanikai Resort Town.. Oh yeah make the entrance via bluestone all they gotta do is open the gate..
Great Idea!!

Kailua beach...welcomes visitors by providing an area for visitors to park, shower, and a place to relieve themselves, however there are not enough parking areas to accommodate the amount of traffic,(especially on weekends) due to, paddlers, windsurfers, kite surfers, those that kayak, boaters,fisherman,sunbathers,swimmers, or those who enjoy strolling the shores ~ of Kailua's lovely bay...How does Lanikai welcome or accommodate visitors...to their lovely beach ? What provisions are made so that they may enjoy a day at the beach?

You know - we all either work or take care of a family. I barely make it from one check tot he next. But I wouldn't trade Kailua for any other place in the world. And I've been around the world. What concerns me is that various persons/entities seem to have an agenda for Kailua that does NOT include input from Kailua residents. When someone has a vision for the future, it doesn't mean that everyone agrees with that vision and what should happen, but doesn't because of back room deals, is that these issues should come before the community BEFORE they are a done deal. It is disheartening, disappointing and discouraging to see a good thing become something else as a result of manipulations in the back room. Lets get everything on the table instead of under it.

Do you actually LIVE in Kailua?

Lanikai is a part of Kailua and not a private community. For that you need to go to Millilani or Waipio.

There's ample access to the beach which was voted as one of the best in the world.

It's the same reason that Enchanted Lakes is also Kailua. Unless you have something against Enchanted Lakes people because they're not privileged enough to have B&Bs where they are.

You really shouldn't count Kailua as just the town and it's nearest vicinity. That would be like segregation (perpetuating the "those people over there" mentality).

For Those Who Want To Learn More About Lanikai Explore the scoops in their loop:
Lanikai Association

A Big Mahalo To All The Volunteers Who Donate Their Time

Kailua Bay Organization

Is a non- profit organization dedicated to maintaining the cleaniness
and beauty of Kailua Of Kailua Beaches And Bay.
Click here to go to their site to learn more

Cant Forget To Send Out A BIG BIG Mahalo To our Kailua Lifeguards
Who Help Save Everyone's Okole's Out There!!
Here Is Their Link

If the question... "{do you actually live in Kailua"} was directed to me...The answer would be...
Not only do I live here, my roots are here...About 6 generations now...have resided here in Kailua...
I am proud to call Kailua, my home..
I am not sure if you flew here?? or grew here.
It doesn't sound as if you actually grew up here in Hawai'i. The only reason I say that is, it almost sounds as if...you think....your kukai no smell...

I was born and raised here and grew up in Kailua. I was merely pointing out that Lanikai is a part of Kailua which you seemed to think otherwise.

Aside from that, I believe my kukai does stink, but hard to notice over yours.

Yes Lanikai and Enchanted Lakes and Keolu Hills are all part of Kailua. They are neighborhoods of Kailua as is Coconut Grove. And each neighborhood is different but still part of the community. And in every neighborhood there are those minority of residents who think that their neighborhood is better than the others. This creates disunity in the community, especially when they belittle or otherwise demean the residents who do believe in the community as a whole.

Mr. Gwain if dats ur name...
Don't quit your day Job..( you'll starve on your comical remarks)
You really surprised me by saying you were born, raised and grew up here in Kailua, cause I sure don't see any Aloha in your words.
You paint a picture that says..I am better then most..and actually we are all equal....Take away all the materialistic things in Life, and see what your worth really is.
Have you forgotten that sharing, caring and being humble are traits that carry you further in life.
You can attract more bees with honey than vinegar.
OH, and if ya think my kukai is overpowering...
Stick around for the Bufa's.

Lanikai Beach Hawaii, Traveller Information

The water is exceptionally clear and blue and two beautiful, offshore island known as the Mokuluas, add to the tropical atmosphere of the area. Access is only available by a public access walkways. Please respect local resident's properity.

Services and Amenities No Lifeguard
No facilities
No fresh water
Sandy Beach
Large rocks
Shady areas
Good swimming and snorkeling

Kailua Beach Park
often rated as the "Best Beach in the World," is a generally wonderful place to enjoy swimming and beach recreational activities. It has a very nice, fine sandy beach. There are generally no significantly hazardous ocean or beach conditions.

Besides having often been rated as one of the "Best Beaches in the World," Kailua Beach is a world-class wind surfing destination for pros and amateurs alike.

Well Ms. Harriett if you've read carefully, all I did was respond to your criticisms. Bringing in personal "attacks" has been basically from yourself. All I'm doing is presenting a counterpoint to your remarks that have just as much right to be here as yours.

This blogpost is called "Kailua Speaks Out". Which means all of Kailua, for better or worse may participate.

Contructive criticism works. Not name calling.

And yes that is my real name.

Sorry....:(
my bad...if I offended you....
Back to the drawing board.

Here is a question regarding 4th of July:
This again is from someone in the public and I'm relaying it..I'm curious too so maybe somebody got a link or someone in this field can give us some feedback..

For Fourth Of July .. They banned fireworks being fired from island because of the bird sanctuary etc..
Doesn't the traffic from the increase of people now at beach affect the island since many people kayak and surf on and off (and not only tourist -but yes many tourist explore).and why don't they just let those poor guys shoot off from the island instead of almost killing themself from the barge?? Do They think one night of fireworks will do more damage than the daily traffic?? We all enjoy those fireworks..and for safety issues it would make sense..

That is a great question she had..

I remember rowing out there and camping out there myself when I was young..could never get sleep out there myself the birds always sounded like they were having asthma attacks..Is the birds still out there?

I am not sure if you remember, but a few years ago they had a close call with a fire. If the Island were to catch fire they are worried it would severely injure the Sea Bird population. The loud explosions also cause harm to the birds. Yes, Flat Island does have a lot of traffic however, the majority of people stay away from the birds nesting because of the sharp limestone stabbing at your feet but also because the birds are very protective. They will attack if they feel you are endangering their young. I know we all see people walking on the Island and I can’t say everyone abides by the rules. However, I feel that the forth of July is a great celebration. But, how does this celebration affect our environment? Days after the festivities we see reminders- Red paper all over the streets, at the beach we see tons of trash from fireworks, not to mention the fires, smoke ect . So, that’s my long winded attempt to express my feelings towards fireworks at Flat Island (Popoia). Should we just say who cares about the birds and shoot fireworks off the island? No, they call Kailua Home too. We should respect their home and not invade it with loud and smokey fireworks for our entertainment.

Thanks Marry ... Yup we need to protect those birds..
I remember how sharp those beaks are too LOL..
I will print out your response for the person [they don't have access to computer] Mahalo..Great Response...
Most people who do go on the island are pretty respectful to the island too..

Found this link for those who want to learn more about
Popoia (flat island)
Stop by these sites they help -- Well It helps me..
and I always thought they were Seagulls LOL
We all can learn shhhhhh getting my kids to read more too !
Offshore Island Restoration Committee [Hawaiian islands] Popoia "flat" Island, Oahu

Ok, here's the question, who would be willing to foot the bill to create this children's center at the bowling ally?

Could you imagine what the price of that land? And could you imagine even further how much it would cost to erect a building on that location to serve such a purpose?

Could you imagine the fees that parents would be charged in order for this place to remain open? Look up the census and figure out how many adolescents there are in Kailua, definitely not enough to justify building a family center.

Could you imagine these young children walking across the street while drunks from cisco's, board riders, and creek side make their way onto the roads day and night. This sounds like a plan for a disaster.

There used to be a good amount of programs for kids at the Kailua Recreational Center, but nobody went for years on years, so they canceled a lot of the programs. So what would make them go to this center and who would be able to afford to send their kids there? Not me!

Nobody even goes to the library, so they cut the hours.

So do you have any "feasible" suggestions?

As a "property manager" would you erect a building that nobody would pay to rent? Sorry to say,(well not too sorry) but it just doesn't make business sense.

What are Your Ideas for a Better Community...

Mr. Cyn,
Have I missed a post?? Where can I find the information regarding a center for children at the bowling alley property? And where did that idea come from? Sorry perhaps I wasn't following closely enough.

In all the years, driving on Hekili Street and Hamakua drive, I have not encountered drunks walking on these streets. Nor have I heard of any pedestrian accidents, or fatalities on those streets...

In previous years, I have tried to enroll my children in the recreation center, have you?
If you want swimming, you best get there early, or forget about it ! ( Taking a day off of work to enroll my child, was not an option)
Regarding the Kailua Library,in this day and age,
most households are using the " internet" for information...
In addition to that, most schools require students to research the world wide web....for information....
Because of longer work hours, and have hectic schedules...I find that this is much more convenient..don't you?
Do you have any good suggestions that would improve the lifestyle of the residents of Kailua?
What are your hopes and dreams for this community....
Is Kailua someplace....you intend to call home?
Many of your posts seem to have much negativity, and I would love to hear your ideas for a better community.
Please share with us..your ideas of a ideal Kailua...for Seniors, Adults, Young Adults, Teens, and children..Who knows...you might just have the missing link...to our dreams....Aloha...

I anxiously await a reply...

Aloha Harriet,
We've talked to many teenagers in Kailua and they wish they had a place to go to besides Starbucks or Morning brew..like a gameroom or somewhere just teen/kid friendly not anything big.. The bowling alley has activities for families to participate together in and it's affordable.. they have one nite with neon lights on and been there a few times and it was enjoyable..forgot the name they have for it..Yeah that bowling alley building is old and deterioting but hopefully there will be something thought up of that is feasible for families.

Just noticed ...ooops.... I put "Aloha Harriet" ... sorry "Oh2Funny4you" was meant in response to your post not Harriet's.. Think its time for another cup of coffee..

I'm sure you folks knew what I was talking about but just wanted to clarify it...
Mahalo ~ Lynn

Yes I am of Thai descent and my family had lived there before moving here. I actually lost a number of my family in that last tsunami they had.

As for the beach looking like the one in Thailand...that's an over exaggeration. Kailua land is zoned for residential and in fact are filled with homes. It is impossible to create something like that. That stretch of beach in Thailand and indeed, most beaches in Thailand have nothing built on them. Everyone lives in the interior. We mostly live along the river which would be considered disgusting to your (American) standards, but is home to us.

This is definitely not a fair comparison and is a gross exaggeration.

Sorry to hear about your loss of family Baht ,My condolences go out to you and your family. I've had a number of my family members and friend all pass on since Jan think we lost like 10 since then , so 2007 has been a rough one for us too..

As for the beach looking like the one in Thailand...It's to a compliment that is a beautiful beach... I was shocked that I read Water Buffalo was on it -- don't think I would want to sun bathe though =- Be scared of those... LOL
Quote >>>>Everyone lives in the interior. We mostly live along the river which would be considered disgusting to your (American) standards, but is home to us.<<<

Not me ot my standards - I don't care if one lives in a tent in the middle of the Kawainui marsh..My standards are : U are who u are.! It's who you are inside as a person not on the outside & what you have!

As far as using it as a comparision It wasn't meant to dog out Thailand -- or in ill intent..

Kailua could grow into a place as such with the beach chairs all laying out front etc.... and since it reminded me of my home here in Kailua beach that I was born raised and only know as home..It could escalate to something with that..I hope not.. and as far as you being Thai ~ I think thats great found your name interesting that was why I searched upon it ! Plus I used to be more into Genealogy..unlike my name that is boring LYNN
Thanks for your input ~ and sticking around with us cuz its good to see a difference in opinions thats how we all learn.. Thatz why I love Hawaii we are one big melting pot of people learning off of each others culture and then at parties we get a big variety of food to pupu on :)

Huh,

Baht your name was confusing me... cuz it's interesting so I figure I do a search its Thailand currency huh..
-----------------------------------------
Ok besides that unrelated to you of course... but came across it as I searched for baht..
HELL NO I Don't want my front yard looking like that!! Thought everyone would like to see it. Nice beach and water Yup it does remind me of Kailua Beach crescent shaped and all and especially if you take those beach chairs with umbrellas out..Thought it was funny they even have a farmers market twice a week --
Chit I don't want Kailua Beach to be the next Kamala beach and its a step away...I even looked at the Vacation rentals there reminds me of the ones down here Yuck Yuck Yuck ~
KAMANA BEACH LINK

Baht was so right when he states " Kailua is zoned residential land"..
that's what it should remain...Residential

God Bless America!!,

Oh Pulezzzz...Lets not start on Americans...and what disgusts them...I am blessed and proud to be an American...and living by a river...is not disgusting..
Speak for yourself...not your fellow Americans!
Dogging your fellow Americans...is disgusting...especially for those who are sacrificing their lives...and those who have lost their lives...
My thanks to the many MEN and WOMEN, of all branches of the military for sacrificing their lives, for us Americans....Thank you all...God Bless America !

If you have never lived or been in Thailand's city then I say you don't know what you are talking about.

The rivers are not regulated as in America. They are dumping areas for trash and sewage, and smell ten times worse than the Ala Wai on a hot day. We live by the river because it is a way of life ... not because we have a choice like here.

Please check your facts before making remarks about my homeland.

The fact is....you live in Hawaii...and our gripe on this site is about illegal bed and breakfast's in residential neighborhoods.
You brought up the subject of your homeland, and the way of life, and the "American Standard's Way of Thinking" so before you introduce the subject, think ....
Maybe you can think of ways to improve the conditions of your homeland..

(PlEASE dONT USE BiG WORdS, iM ONlY iN iNTERMEdiATE)
WHY RUiN WAT WE HAVE , iSNT KAilUA GOOd ENOUGH?? WHY dOES iT HAVE 2 BE CHANGEd?? .... i dONT WANNA liVE WiTH TOURiSTS COMiNG iN ANd OUT OF HOUSES BY ME. i WANNA liVE WiTH MY FAMilY ANd PEOPlE i KNOW NOT PEOPlE THAT COME TO HAVE PARTiES FOR VACATiONS All HOURS OF THE NiTE. iM NOT ASki'NN FOR A PERFECT COMMUNiTY liKE PlEASENT VillE, JUST A NEiBORHOOd WHERE YOU KNOW WHO liVES AROUNd YOU. NOT PEOPlE THAT COME ANd GO EVRiE WEEk. I JUST THiNk KAilUA SHOUldN'T BE CHANGEd. iTS FiNE.........

Thank you sooo soo much Future xx leader,
Its great to hear something from the youth in our community. Thanks for visiting the site and being a part of it.. Cuz your opinion does count!!
Your off to a great start in being a leader by stepping forward !
~ Lynn
P.S. visit again so maybe we can get your input on what you would like to see for teens in Kailua....and call ya friends and tell them to visit and post too... mahalo

SOME THiNGS i WOUlD WANNA SEE MAYBE A YOUTH CENTER , NOT A BiG Y.M.C.A. , MAYBE SOMETHiNG likE A GROUP WERE KiDS CAN BE KiDS. LiKE A BOYS ANd GiRlS ClUB . BUT i THiNK iTS PAST MY BEdTiME ,..... GOOOOOd NiTE!!

OKAY FOLKS I REVIEWED ALL OF BAHTS POSTINGS FROM THE DAY HE/SHE CAME IN TO NOW AND IT SEEMS AS IF HE IS OUT JUST TO CAUSE FRICTION WITHIN THE BOARDS.
ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!!!
IM NOT GOING TO ASK HE/SHE TO LEAVE OR PUT A BAN -BUT, ESPECIALLY SINCE WE NOW HAVE TEENS ENTERING UPON THE THREADS LETS TONE IT DOWN A NOTCH.. OKAY?

AS FAR AS THE ILLEGAL B&B THING GOES ..WE ALL KNOW WHAT IS IN BLACK & WHITE -ITS ILLEGAL SO BASICALLY THERE IS NO ARGUMENT THERE!
THOSE WHO OPERATE ILLEGALLY AND THOSE WHO ALLOW THEM TO CONTINUE TO OPERATE IT ILLEGALLY THATS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS...HANDS DOWN BAR NONE!!

LET'S UTILIZE THIS MESSAGE BOARD TO EDUCATE ONE ANOTHER INSTEAD OF TRYING TO PROVE EACH OTHER WRONG.
WE ALREADY KNOW WHAT IS WRONG FOR IT IS WRITTEN IN BLACK & WHITE.

WELL TIME FOR ME TO GO TO SLEEP..
BY THE WAY I REDID THE FRONT PAGE "HOMEPAGE" SO HOPEFULLY PEOPLE WILL FEEL MORE RELAXED ;)
ALOHA & A *** HOU ~ LYNN
TO KEEP ON THREAD SUBJECT ~ "I LOVE KAILUA BEACH"

HOLD ON NOW! I resent the fact that you think I'm trying to cause friction.

Just because I present a POV that is different then yours doesn't mean you can start name calling.

What I've been saying all this time was that I support the recent developments (many comments of which were answers that were asked of me by other posters on this site) and that I don't mind the B&Bs as long as they're legal.

Many of the responses I've given were honest and were IN FACT given as responses to questions asked directly to me by other members of the community on this blog.

If you want to call this site "Kailua Speaks Out", then let the other side be heard. You say you encourage dialogue, then let's do it.

If you want to hear a negative blogger, look at Mr. Nick's earlier ones.

Baht,
this is not "kailua speaks out", this is "kailua speaks out and if you don't agree with our view, we remove your post." It is quite ironic how the "webmaster" speaks of bullying, but then silences other points of view by deleting posts that don't conform and negate their point of view.

It will be very amusing when this so-called protest takes place. Tourism is the machine that runs this state. Welcome to the 21st century.

Hey Nic...are you and Baht the same guy??

Oh 2 Funny.

No we are not the same person. Please refrain from trying to put people into For or AGAINST camps. Everyone has an opinion and I'd appreciate it if you did not try to spin things.

It's easy for you to hide behind an alias whereas mine is my real name.

I respect your posts, please do the same with mine.

Thanks Baht,
Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back.

What are Your Ideas for a Better Community...

Mr. Cyn,
Have I missed a post?? Where can I find the information regarding a center for children at the bowling alley property? And where did that idea come from? Sorry perhaps I wasn't following closely enough.

In all the years, driving on Hekili Street and Hamakua drive, I have not encountered drunks walking on these streets. Nor have I heard of any pedestrian accidents, or fatalities on those streets...

In previous years, I have tried to enroll my children in the recreation center, have you?
If you want swimming, you best get there early, or forget about it ! ( Taking a day off of work to enroll my child, was not an option)
Regarding the Kailua Library,in this day and age,
most households are using the " internet" for information...
In addition to that, most schools require students to research the world wide web....for information....
Because of longer work hours, and have hectic schedules...I find that this is much more convenient..don't you?
Do you have any good suggestions that would improve the lifestyle of the residents of Kailua?
What are your hopes and dreams for this community....
Is Kailua someplace....you intend to call home?
Many of your posts seem to have much negativity, and I would love to hear your ideas for a better community.
Please share with us..your ideas of a ideal Kailua...for Seniors, Adults, Young Adults, Teens, and children..Who knows...you might just have the missing link...to our dreams....Aloha...

I find it offensive that you say how the Kailua library is not being used. It is an afront to the dedicated men and women who work there. The library is more than just a place for study. It is a place where young minds open. Story telling is terrific and where else can you rent $1 DVDs for a week?

Just because you do not use it personally, please do not insult our great public community library.

Re: TALK ABOUT the Library

Baht,
Talk about twisting things.
NO use talking to you. I am not insulting anyone.
I have a cousin who is a librarian, along with her husband who is a librarian, both who left the state of Hawaii, because of the insufficient pay they receive.

Go back and read, Nic's comments, he/she stated NO BODY even uses the library...

I was simply commenting on the reasons fewer people utilize it.

But thanks for turning the comment to me...perhaps that answer should have been for the person who commented on the Library in the first place.....

Okay, then I direct the comment to both you and Nick Cyn. I encourage both of you to visit our community library and district park facilities. They are truly what Kailua is all about.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have always enjoyed the Kailua Library, the programs they offer, and the atmosphere there.

For those who work full time, and attend school in the evenings, it is almost impossible to be a frequent visitor.

That also is not difficult to work out. Try holding 2 full-time jobs with kids. And I still have time to go. You just make the time.

>>>>>>> I encourage both of you to visit our community library and district park facilities. They are truly what Kailua is all about. <<<<<<<<<<

Is that what Kailua is ALL about???

sheeeeeeze and I thought it was all about the hokey pokey!! jus' kiddin'

Kailua is about the people!!!

The library and its staff/volunteers as well as the Kailua Rec center and all its staff/volunteers
Do provide a great service for our community
those PEOPLE in our community do a great job for the other PEOPLE in our community..
Its people like those that make a POWERFUL difference for our community!
So I agree with you -- plus there are many more volunteers and groups that GIVE BACK to our families in our community !! And lots of Kailua Residents do appreciate it and utilize it...

But agree that people utilize the computer alot more for research - than the library now adays' - "welcome to the 21st century" technology sure does help my children research - actually most of their homework computer research is required..

I used the "Hawaii State Public Library System" lots of times hunting down stuff for genealogy information..utilizing online material from home makes it easy.. I believe you can even order dvd's movies from online.. It's amazing what you can find now adays from the comfort of your home..but a visit to the library is always great too!
Here's a link to their site
Hawaii State Public Library System Catalog

LOL...only 2 jobs..and 2 kids...piece of cake

OKAY BACK TO KAILUA BEACH..........

In KailuaSpeaksOut "Neigbors" section please check out A 1 of a Kind fish Story!!
Got a fish story like diz one send em my way..
Tooooooo funny..

Have a great week all !!!!

Actually I was referring to the Ohana and close family community feel you get at those places which is what Kailua is all about. Remember, we are more than just a beautiful beach and B&B's. It's the people that make the community. Not the environment.