Return to Website

Home Of The Big T Message board

Hello and Welcome to our NEW message board. Please feel free to post any questions or comments you might have here. We want to hear what's on your mind.

Home Of The Big T Message board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bitten by the mantrailing bug!

I adopted a Bloodhound from my local pound almost a year ago after she picked me out and refused to let me leave without her! She is my first Bloodhound, but I am afraid it is not a habit I am going to be able to break. We have joined a local SAR group and to my amazement and theirs she is doing very well. It was not what I expected as she was the first Bloodhound I ever met and had no intention of working her at the time. She looked so bad I didn't think I would even have her this long. Either I got lucky or it is fortunate that the breed has never become over popular and lost its natural ability. I would very much like to take her to a training seminar as I am running out of challenges to set her, and being the only Bloodhound in the group we would like to meet other 'Bloodhound people.' I need far more training than she does! Does anybody have any recommendations? I want to do the best by her, as she appears to be developing a trailing addiction too! The people I am working with now are great (unlike a previous group who had convinced me she was useless after starting her from scratch with no scent article in a busy park), but it never hurts to work with other trainers and in new locations. I also have a 1 yr old Black Lab/Golden who was supposed to be just a pet, but needed something to keep her mind busy so she is in training for air scenting and cadaver work. Ideally i'd like to be able to take both; is it likely that I will find a trainer who is excellent in both air scenting and trailing, or should I take them to separate people? Sorry for such a long post! Hopefully the beginner's enthusiasm will never wear off, the three of us can't wait to get to training each week