Return to Website

Home Of The Big T Message board

Hello and Welcome to our NEW message board. Please feel free to post any questions or comments you might have here. We want to hear what's on your mind.

Home Of The Big T Message board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Cadaver Dogs

Joe, this is a great question,and one that I was just talking about yesterday with a member of my unit. I too, am curious about the answer..

If indeed there was a body there, it would make sense to me that "residue" from the decomposition of the body would be in the dirt, in addition to the fact that "bugs" would have fed on the victim then burrowed down into the dirt as well. I have an additional question. How long will human decompostion residue remain in the dirt?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I don't get involved in cadaver work just the trailing side. The other night the unit was called out to a search near the airport where 2 bodies were supposed to be buried. Upon the arrival of the cadaver dogs The OIC decided to get a back hoe and dig up the area where the remains were supposed to be. When the dogs got there they began digging in the area where the fresh dirt was taken from. Will the dogs tend to hit on the fresh dirt because of the different svcents coming from that area? No remains were found at the site

Re: Re: Cadaver Dogs

Joe and Margie,

Let me put the answer to you this way. There are several answers to the question "will dogs dig where fresh dirt is disturbed?" Yes. This can be for several reasons.

1. In training to teach a cadaver dog to find parts you dig holes and put parts in some of them. 2. Dogs will check, make a pass with a foot to activate settled scent also when he finds fresh scent from fresh dirt he is rewarded. Why shouldn't he dig a little where fresh dirt is found. For the second question How long will decomposition residure remain. A Hell of a long time. At Snake Hill Candy found bodies with ease that had been down 175 years.

Bill T.

Replying to:

Joe, this is a great question,and one that I was just talking about yesterday with a member of my unit. I too, am curious about the answer..

If indeed there was a body there, it would make sense to me that "residue" from the decomposition of the body would be in the dirt, in addition to the fact that "bugs" would have fed on the victim then burrowed down into the dirt as well. I have an additional question. How long will human decompostion residue remain in the dirt?

Replying to:

I don't get involved in cadaver work just the trailing side. The other night the unit was called out to a search near the airport where 2 bodies were supposed to be buried. Upon the arrival of the cadaver dogs The OIC decided to get a back hoe and dig up the area where the remains were supposed to be. When the dogs got there they began digging in the area where the fresh dirt was taken from. Will the dogs tend to hit on the fresh dirt because of the different svcents coming from that area? No remains were found at the site