Return to Website

Home Of The Big T Message board

Hello and Welcome to our NEW message board. Please feel free to post any questions or comments you might have here. We want to hear what's on your mind.

Home Of The Big T Message board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Certifications

Margie,

Look closely at certification standards across the country. The variation are so great there really isn't any standard at all. Basing call-outs on cetification is about as reliable as playing Russian Roulette.

Bill T.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Regarding Certification, I too am concerned, and confused as well. I hear so much pertaining to certification, both on the local level, and more importantly, State levels. Although I too agree with what you say, unfortunately of late, the certification is a measure and a foot in the door sort of speak to potential call outs. For some, there is no chance of being used by county, state levels in the event of a lost person without a certiciation.

Given any day, circumstances can and do change. Being certified one day, doesn't mean that dog/handler will be able to duplicate the run the next. As for what I think of certifications? I believe evaluations from time to time are a better way to measure the dog/handler's ability to run trail, and more importantly, a detailed training log book should provide the answers anyone has or who questions the potential of the SAR team for future deployments.

Just my thoughts..

Margie

Re: Re: Certifications

I agree completely. No, I am not certified. I have detailed training logs to show my progression, problems and sucesses.

Replying to:

Margie,

Look closely at certification standards across the country. The variation are so great there really isn't any standard at all. Basing call-outs on cetification is about as reliable as playing Russian Roulette.

Bill T.

Replying to:

Regarding Certification, I too am concerned, and confused as well. I hear so much pertaining to certification, both on the local level, and more importantly, State levels. Although I too agree with what you say, unfortunately of late, the certification is a measure and a foot in the door sort of speak to potential call outs. For some, there is no chance of being used by county, state levels in the event of a lost person without a certiciation.

Given any day, circumstances can and do change. Being certified one day, doesn't mean that dog/handler will be able to duplicate the run the next. As for what I think of certifications? I believe evaluations from time to time are a better way to measure the dog/handler's ability to run trail, and more importantly, a detailed training log book should provide the answers anyone has or who questions the potential of the SAR team for future deployments.

Just my thoughts..

Margie