Return to Website

Home Of The Big T Message board

Hello and Welcome to our NEW message board. Please feel free to post any questions or comments you might have here. We want to hear what's on your mind.

Home Of The Big T Message board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Certifications

I have mixed feelings on certifications, most of them that I have known of are so darn easy, that it would certify just about everybody...also they are more set for tracking not trailing! There is a difference. As for not being called out on actuals, it probably isnt the certification that gets you called out, They like you to be law enforcement, there are just too many independent and SAR teams out there that think they are case ready and end up making fools of themselves and give SAR a bad name! It is and will be word of mouth and actually proving yourself and your dog to get the calls. And once you have proven yourself LOOKOUT cause the calls wont stop.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Donna Stone

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Certifications can sometimes be over rated. I was an independent and was rarely called out even with certifications prior to signing up for CCSO SAR. I think the biggest thing I notice is no matter where you go there is an "adjustment" to what the handler and K-9 have to do for a particular cert. I think a national standard across the board and down to state level may be a good jump in the right direction. If the national level guys can't or won't agree to a "national" standard we're back to word of mouth-which isn't bad, but takes longer. Which is probably a good thing anyway. Certs sometimes are like AKC papers. You may have the paper but the proof is in the pudding. Talk less perform more. Let the actions in the street speak for themselves...that's the bottom line.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Regarding Certification, I too am concerned, and confused as well. I hear so much pertaining to certification, both on the local level, and more importantly, State levels. Although I too agree with what you say, unfortunately of late, the certification is a measure and a foot in the door sort of speak to potential call outs. For some, there is no chance of being used by county, state levels in the event of a lost person without a certiciation.

Given any day, circumstances can and do change. Being certified one day, doesn't mean that dog/handler will be able to duplicate the run the next. As for what I think of certifications? I believe evaluations from time to time are a better way to measure the dog/handler's ability to run trail, and more importantly, a detailed training log book should provide the answers anyone has or who questions the potential of the SAR team for future deployments.

Just my thoughts..

Margie