Return to Website

Home Of The Big T Message board

Hello and Welcome to our NEW message board. Please feel free to post any questions or comments you might have here. We want to hear what's on your mind.

Home Of The Big T Message board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Training in the Heat

Hey guys, Remember that you have bloodhounds, The call outs in the heat of the day can wait till evening, that scent isn't going anywhere, as a matter of fact the scent is up high in the heat, wait till it falls. I believe bloodhounds run better trails when they are aged a bit anyway...No hurry unless of course its a critical missing, child etc..

Donna Stone

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hello

Now that the temperatures are rising, and the days are getting longer. I am curious to hear if anyone actually trains/trails their dog during the heat of the day, which in my case living in southern Virginia, is most of the day! I have found that in extreme heat, Patton is willing, must be stopped several times for water and a brief rest, although he prefers to continue I stop him. Being that temps in this area may rise to over 85 by 9am, and not go down under 80 until 4 or 5 in the morning, that doesn't leave alot of time to work him. As for our unit, we usually try to work the dogs first thing in the morning, and after the sun goes down, then again in the evening. Interestingly, most of our call outs occur mid day. With that being the case, we are going to try to train shorter more difficult runs mid-day with many breaks in between. The plan is to get at least one run in a week during "peak heat times" If temps reach above 95, I won't run him, and insist on waiting until later in the afternoon when sun sets. What do others do?

Margie