Return to Website

Home Of The Big T Message board

Hello and Welcome to our NEW message board. Please feel free to post any questions or comments you might have here. We want to hear what's on your mind.

Home Of The Big T Message board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Something to Think about --Response

How right you are in stating that sometimes handlers "take over" and/or "train against" the natural drive the dog has to find his target and thru training, discourage natural scent following tendancies in the dog. I have seen this myself. I am convinced that is in part, due to "too much obedience training", and/or "conditioned response" or in other words, a "trained behavior." Very early on, before I aquired my Bloodhound, I was told by many that Hounds could not, and were not known for doing obedience. Being a Dog Obedience trainer by profession, I challenged that, and have successfully taught mine obedience. However, I have to say that I started noticing him "checking in with me", (conditioned training) "trained behavior brought on by the training in obedience work". I saw a difference in his trailing, and brought all that detailed obedience to a halt. Seemed he was more concerned with my approval then following scent. Within just a few weeks, with no detailed obedience lessons given, he was once again "natural" and I was just along for the ride to hang onto the leash. I have learned to trust this Hound of mine 100% of the time. I believe in allowing the dog to "work out" the problem in his natural way. What I consider to be a problem along the trail, may be nothing more than scent disbursing, and he figuring out where it is. So, I give him the time to work it out. I know my dog, and I know when he has scent and when he has lost it for the most part. Although some of our training is done with at least one person knowing where the track layer has gone, I prefer NOT to know and trust that my Hound will lead me to it. I have had a few instructors at various seminars ask me to correct my dog because he was off trail by 10 15 feet. In addition when signaling my dog to check "UP", some have said, "no need to have him do that, its not up there" I refuse to stop my dog from checking, and allow him to check everywhere. Who am I to say where the scent is? That nose nose. Go figure eh! Interestingly enough, I have noticed that many individuals are more likey to train in the conditioned manner you describe. "Follow my finger" type, or "foot step (tracking) approach" Perhaps it's due in part to the Tracking Patrol Dog Training. Not sure. Once again, it's "us" the handlers that must consider what we are doing to these talented k-9's, and encourage natural behavior. Handlers should study scent theory first then teach scent discrimination to the K9, and leave the rest, "following scent" to the dog. Teach them right to start with, then leave them alone to do their jobs! Just my thoughts on the matter. I enjoyed reading your post, and was just amazed that the lab in the hall with the scent dangling on a string just above his head could not detect it! I find it hard to believe he couldn't smell it, and concluded that although he probably did indeed smell it, he was simple not taught to look up or corrected when he did during his training, like when his head came away from a wall or some fixed object. What a fantastic example you provided and learning experience! Excellent Posting Bill!