Return to Website

Home Of The Big T Message board

Hello and Welcome to our NEW message board. Please feel free to post any questions or comments you might have here. We want to hear what's on your mind.

Home Of The Big T Message board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cross-Training 7 yr old

I have a seven yr old trained mantrailing bloodhound...she has several finds accomplished but now I have been asked to bring her into an ongoing investigation of an abducted person *presumed dead* where she would have a scent article but the problem lies in that
1. This would be cadaver and she's not trained for cadaver.
2. They want her to start where a shoe was found but they are not sure if the body was ever in the area or is under water where the shoe was found and she is not trained for water scent....

Is it in my best interest to turn it down? And is it possible at this point in her age to cross-train her for cadaver work?

Thanks, and, I love your site!

Re: Cross-Training 7 yr old

Tami,
I would like to help but i have to speculate on just what the conditions are in the senario you are asking the dog to work.
Ist I don't know what the time frame is for the person missing. If your dog has worked trails this old sucessfully then why not try her. However be honest and let them know what she is capaable of doing. If you are not comfortable doing that old a trail turn it down.
Don't pass her off as a cadaver dog. Be honest and up front with your host. You and your dogs will benifit from this in the future.
@nd As to starting a 7 year old dog for cadaver is a dicision only you should answer. The actual working life of most Bloodhounds is about 9 years. It may take a year or more to make her into a novice cadaver dog. Don't expect a top grade cadaver dog at this point of her life. If you approach it as a training project for you to learn her to train a cadaver dog -- fine do it. make your mistakes with this dog and your next dog will benefit from this effort.
If I can be of any help let me know. E-mail me at natalietol@aol.com
Bill T.