Return to Website

CT C.H.E.E.R. Message Board

Are you new to homeschooling and have a question ? Are you new to eastern CT and want to connect with other homeschoolers ? Are you a current CHEER homeschooler, who can offer support to others on the forum ? Here's a place for you to post. Please note: No flaming; no advertisements. Thank you.

CT C.H.E.E.R. Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for Programs

Looking for museum programs for our three children. This is still a new experience for us. Attending the CT Historical Society programs and were not impressed at all. Sub par in the education area. Looking for fun but educational museum programs that do a little more in depth and not superficial learning. Any suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Re: Looking for Programs

I know how you feel!!! We had the same problem. I don't know the ages of your children, but have you checked out these programs? We decided to go elsewhere this year as well.

Lutz Children Museum
Oak Grive Nature Centee - Manchester

Avon Historical Society

New Children's Museum ( 7 week program - great options for little ones and HS)

Maybe I will see you at one of these!

I had a similar experience Brooke!!! Glad I am not the only one. They really need to make some changes over at CHS. All their programs seem to be going downhill.

Thanks for the other suggestions. We will definetely try those out instead of the other one.

Snora
I know how you feel!!! We had the same problem. I don't know the ages of your children, but have you checked out these programs? We decided to go elsewhere this year as well.

Lutz Children Museum
Oak Grive Nature Centee - Manchester

Avon Historical Society

New Children's Museum ( 7 week program - great options for little ones and HS)

Maybe I will see you at one of these!

My sister in law was just mentioning this the other day! I will let her know about the New Children's Museum. I am positive she would rather go there instead of CHS. So glad I checked this message board on a hunch! Love when I can help her out.

Re: Looking for Programs, sewing classe in Woodstock, CT

My daughter and i will be starting an intro to sewing class soon. We are in Woodstock, CT. How old are your children?
Best,
Carey

For ages 9 & up contact the Noah Webster House museum if your children are interested in history. Although there are lots of one day workshops, there is a great history club that usually has other homeschoolers. The kids club is called Noah's New Americans. It is a fun way to learn about colonial history, early CT history, and more. The kids get to cook over the hearth, play colonial games, dress in colonial costumes, learn so much and have fun. Last year we did a play and took a trip to Boston to perform it. They even do a fun Night at the Museum. Activities vary but are always interesting. Check it out. Next meeting Nov. 1st from 2-4. Contact Sherry Woodward at the Noah Webater House at 860-521-5362 if you plan on checking out the club. Both my son and daughter enjoy the club!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I will definitely give the Noah Webster House a call. I will tell the other parents to do the same as well. That way they don't have to get stuck at the CT Historical Society ones. I am still waiting for a response from them.

I appreciate your help

I have seen this issue with CHS on so many message boards, Facebook groups, and even talking with out homeschooling groups. From what I have heard, phone calls have gone unreturned, emails unanswered, etc. Many people feel that the coordinator just ignores any questions or concerns and doesn't really care about improving the situation and wants to keep it simple and easy. It does reflect poorly not only on the program but the institution as a whole. Which is a shame since you would think they would want to keep their donation base with all the talk of cutting funding state and nationally. The program should strive to be an examplar of higher quality museum programming not an example of what not to do.

Based on advice from other homeschooler groups, I have taken my boys to local museums and paid a little extra to get the quality programs from larger museums across New England. There are so many other museums and historical societies that are more than happy to work with families and homeschoolers that you can ignore CHS altogether. When they stop hiring educators without the proper educational background and actually train their leaders maybe there will be a change. This conversation on message boards and social media chats as well as local meetings have been going on for years now without any change or acknowledgement of our concerns.

Please check in with your local networks . There are more options out there ( free and some with small material fees). Don't feel like CHS is your only option. They are so behind on the times it is sad. He

Look at libraries or other museums. I agree with the other posters. I am also looking for more options beyond that as well. I have 2 young children age 7 and 9.

If this thread is still open: what other programs do people use. We go to a lot located in southern CT and sometimes west closer to NY. Always looking for other options and will gladly share ideas with others.

Brooke. Did you every get answers?

I am still on the search for programs near by.

Still disappointed