Return to Website

CT C.H.E.E.R. Message Board

Are you new to homeschooling and have a question ? Are you new to eastern CT and want to connect with other homeschoolers ? Are you a current CHEER homeschooler, who can offer support to others on the forum ? Here's a place for you to post. Please note: No flaming; no advertisements. Thank you.

CT C.H.E.E.R. Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Home School Day at the Connecticut Historical Society!

Home School Days at the Connecticut Historical Society offer programs specifically designed for Home School families. These day-long events give families the opportunity to enjoy engaging educational workshops, tour our galleries, and connect with other Home School families.

Short workshops around a variety of topics are taught throughout the day. Families may sign up for as many or as few classes as they like, and workshops appropriate for different ages are available at each session. Workshops are hands-on and participatory, and many include a take-home element.

Stay tuned for more details about our upcoming Home School Days! More information can be found at www.chs.org.

Dates:
•October 6, 2014
•March 9, 2015
•June 22, 2015

Cost:
•Each 45-minute workshop is $5 per student and includes admission to the CHS galleries.
•The fee for parents is $4 for the day, and parents must remain in the building at all times.
•Maximum cost per family is $50.

Please call Rebecca Gross at (860) 236-5621 x232 or email education_assistant@chs.org to register or for more information.

Re: Home School Day at the Connecticut Historical Society!

Registration is now open for the March 9 Home School Day at the Connecticut Historical Society in Hartford!

Home School Days continue to be specifically designed for home school families. Short workshops around a variety of topics are taught during the morning. In the afternoon, we invite you to explore our galleries, connect with other families, and engage in self-guided learning with the help of our Family Activity Sheets.

You can find the program for workshops available at our March 9 Home School Day at http://chs.org/education/home-school-day/. We are offering brand new workshops for each age group, while also continuing a few favorites to try out if you missed them last time.

Preregistration is required. Please call Rebecca Gross at (860) 236-5621 x232 or email education_assistant@chs.org to register or for more information.

Save the date for the 2015-2016 Homeschool Days at the Connecticut Historical Society! We will be offering Homeschool Days on Monday, October 5, 2015 and Monday, March 7, 2016.

Come enjoy engaging educational workshops, tour our galleries, and connect with other homeschool families. A variety of short workshops around different topics will be taught throughout the day. Families may sign up for as many or as few classes as they like, and workshops appropriate for different ages are available at each session.

Registration for the October 5 Homeschool Day will open in September. Please check our website at chs.org/education/home-school-day/ for the list of available workshops. Call (860) 236-5621 x232 or email education_assistant@chs.org to register or for more information.

Are you making improvements to your programs to help make them better? I am currently deciding on going elsewhere for programs instead of CHS.

Was hoping for a timely answer to my question. We have decided to register elsewhere for home schooling programs. My suggestion: make improvements and publicize it. More people will come.

Have never been impressed with the program. The leadership for children and family programs is weak. Dont think they have any background in education or child development. Highly disappointed. Hopefully they train their staff better in the future.

I have given CHS a lot of chances with my homeschool cohort. Compared to other programs - provided by other museums and organization- this one lacks in every area. It is clear the Ms. Swanson is ill - equipped to deal with such responsibilities. I recent discovered that all she has in an undergrad in history. Where is her experience with early child development? Differentiation? How can we take someone seriously that doesn't have any education or child experience? Someone that CHS has even announced on their website gets their ideas from Pinterest! Really CHS. This I blame the museum for not preparing their coordinators or leaders. Trust me homeschool parents there are better experienced homeschool and family coordinators and directors at better institutions. CHS director should have done his homework and actually lepta his highly qualified staff instead of just keeping the recent college grads that won't depend higher pay or benefits. Bad business move CHS. I will be taking my cohort elsewhere. Very disappointed mother of 4.

I agree. Their Saturday programs are just Pinterest rip offs at times. I know I shouldn't complain because it is free. My only guess is they make it free since the person in charge doesn't have that much experience. CHS lost a lot when the got rid of the older more experienced employees so that they could have cheaper fresh out of college students placed in their positions. There is definitely more out there for little ones to do- just research and pay attention to the mom blogs.

Solandy T
I have given CHS a lot of chances with my homeschool cohort. Compared to other programs - provided by other museums and organization- this one lacks in every area. It is clear the Ms. Swanson is ill - equipped to deal with such responsibilities. I recent discovered that all she has in an undergrad in history. Where is her experience with early child development? Differentiation? How can we take someone seriously that doesn't have any education or child experience? Someone that CHS has even announced on their website gets their ideas from Pinterest! Really CHS. This I blame the museum for not preparing their coordinators or leaders. Trust me homeschool parents there are better experienced homeschool and family coordinators and directors at better institutions. CHS director should have done his homework and actually lepta his highly qualified staff instead of just keeping the recent college grads that won't depend higher pay or benefits. Bad business move CHS. I will be taking my cohort elsewhere. Very disappointed mother of 4.

I have heard bad things about how these things are coordinated and run. That the educators as a whole are not well trained and often have no educational background. I heard that the lewd coordinator has been overheard making fun of patrons at the museum. Had this been stopped? What measures have taken to ensure high quality educators are with pure children and instructing them. From news on other message boards, Twitter, and homeschool Facebook pages- there seems to be a need for a complete retail of the entire program and department.

You can find better programs at local libraries or museums like the CT Science Center. Ct historical society's programs feel like poorly implemented projects from a high school student. I think they need to train their staff better. Just google the topics of their programs and you can a blog with the exact same lesson. Poor direction with programs and program design. A waste of time.

Looking for other homeschool programs besides the museum for the fall for ages 7-9.

Not a huge fan of the family programing. I thought this was a recent thing due to budget cuts across the state etc. by the looks of it, it doesn't look like a problem of lack of funding but more of a lack of care put into the programming. I highly recommend training your staff and supervisors.