Return to Website

CT C.H.E.E.R. Message Board

Are you new to homeschooling and have a question ? Are you new to eastern CT and want to connect with other homeschoolers ? Are you a current CHEER homeschooler, who can offer support to others on the forum ? Here's a place for you to post. Please note: No flaming; no advertisements. Thank you.

CT C.H.E.E.R. Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Might be ready for homeschooling

Amanda,

I also live in Stratford and have a student in the schools, the same age. I have noticed the same exact problem/s, as you have describe. When a student is over-performing by the C/C standards, there is no outlet for them to be advanced. I have discussed this with the school and they act as if I were speaking in another language. The C/C lessons and homework are redundant and seemingly meaningless. I find myself quickly board by them, could you imagine a child? How about the riddles in order to even establish the two basic values that they are looking to have the student add or subtract? No child left behind = every child held back. I have spent the last year working on math with my daughter in order to offset the ridiculousness of this standard, or lack there of, in teaching.

I am exhausted with having teachers whisper during parent/teacher's that they, "Hate the program" and then dismiss their confession by suggesting that they have to follow policy. What other profession would allow someone to do something that they know as a professional is wasteful and counterproductive, but dismiss it as "Following rules"?

I would be more than happy to meet with you and your husband at our library to discuss.

Tom