Return to Website

CT C.H.E.E.R. Message Board

Are you new to homeschooling and have a question ? Are you new to eastern CT and want to connect with other homeschoolers ? Are you a current CHEER homeschooler, who can offer support to others on the forum ? Here's a place for you to post. Please note: No flaming; no advertisements. Thank you.

CT C.H.E.E.R. Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
considering homeschooling

I am a stay at-home Mom of two. My son is in grade six and my daughter is in Kindergarden. My son is very bright and has some social pragmatics issues. He has always had a hard time making friends and got teased often. However it never seemed to bother him much, he had his one or two buddies and he was fine with that. We have recently purchased a home is Lisbon and at this new school (although the teachers seem very nice) the children are horrible. He is being bullied daily and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. I have considered homeschooling before and find some aspects of it highly appealing. However I don't know if I am qualified to teach my son. He knows more math now than I do. I also worry about the social aspect of homeschooling. I don't want him to become withdrawn and uncomfortable in social situations. Especially if he wants to go into a public High School when that time comes. I also have concerens with the cost of homeschooling. We are a one income family and so we are on a monthly budget. I am hoping that these concerns ring true to some other homeschool familes and that they may be able to provide some further information for me. Thank you.

Re: considering homeschooling

Homeschooling can be as expensive as you want. There are MANY on-line resources and ways to find inexpensive books. The library is the best for getting what you want on the cheap, so that is the best place to start. Also, if you look into science museums carefully, you might find that one membership gets you into a bunch of other desirable places. I am always looking for things to do that are free or very low cost, and I am often drawn to state parks.
Really, the time it takes to search for resources is what you need instead of money.
(Good luck from a mother of 3: 7, 5 &2.)