Return to Website

CT C.H.E.E.R. Message Board

Are you new to homeschooling and have a question ? Are you new to eastern CT and want to connect with other homeschoolers ? Are you a current CHEER homeschooler, who can offer support to others on the forum ? Here's a place for you to post. Please note: No flaming; no advertisements. Thank you.

CT C.H.E.E.R. Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New to homeschooling

I just started this year too. I live in Lebanon. You are not legally required to file a Notice of Intent. All you have to do is send a letter stating that you are withdrawing your child from the school system. You don't even have to say you are homeschooling. Hope that helps.

Hi April,

You need to write a LETTER OF WITHDRAWAL and deliver it to the school superintendent's office in person or via certified mail, return receipt requested. AFTER that is completed, your child(ren) are no longer enrolled in the public school system and you are officially a homeschooling family.

The *NOTICE OF INTENT* (NOI) IS OPTIONAL. It is not, nor has it ever been, required by law. It is a suggested procedure only, that was developed from the C-14 Guidelines in 1990 between the State Board of Education and a group of homeschool parents.

If you choose to file the NOI, then you must appear at the school to do an annual Portfolio Review at the end of the school year - if - and only if - the school contacts you to arrange the meeting for the NOI. You are not obligated to contact them for the meeting.

Here is information from our website to help guide you in writing a withdrawal letter. http://ct-cheer.com/legalinfo.htm

If you have any more questions about withdrawing a child from public school, please email me offlist at: DrMomOfTen@hotmail.com

You might also want to join CHEER by going to the "join" page on the left side of the main page at www.ct-cheer.com .

Hi April,
How old is your child (children?). I live in Colchester and have 2 daughters, aged 8 and 11 that I have just started homeschooling this year.

You can just call the school and tell them your child will be homeschooling with you. In CT, you are not required by law to give them anything else unless you want to. These laws are listed on-line.

http://www.cthomeschoolnetwork.org/CtLaw-WhatToDo.htm