Return to Website

CT C.H.E.E.R. Message Board

Are you new to homeschooling and have a question ? Are you new to eastern CT and want to connect with other homeschoolers ? Are you a current CHEER homeschooler, who can offer support to others on the forum ? Here's a place for you to post. Please note: No flaming; no advertisements. Thank you.

CT C.H.E.E.R. Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Homeschool for high school

I am a former homeschholing mom who may be going back to homeschooling my daughter in the fall. Does anybody have children who have gotten into good universities after homeschooling through high school and do you have any advice?

Re: Homeschool for high school

Hi Alison,

I'm not sure what your criteria is for qualifying a "good university". I will say that my kids have all gotten into junior colleges and universities, have done VERY well, and have gone on to graduate schools to get at least one advanced degree if not more. Two of them are doctors in their respective fields. One has two master's degrees and the other one is working on his still.

I also have two more homeschooled kids who started college this past school year at ages 13 and 15. They both have 4.0 GPA's.

Homeschoolers have been accepted at almost every university in this country. I have never heard of a homeschooler being anything but glowingly accepted and welcomed into college level study. I suspect that is because if they didn't want to go, they wouldn't even be applying. They're there because they WANT to learn and they see to it that they do - quite splendidly. Colleges and universities across the country are very aware of that fact.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Diane

Re: college at young ages

Diane,
Could you give us some advice on how to go about getting one's local colleges (community or 4-year) to allow a young child to take classes there? Ours have a "policy" that they must be high school juniors/16 years old at the very least, to take even one course. I know my daughter will be capable of doing well at the college level well before age 16, but they don't seem amenable to the idea. Thanks.

Re: college at young ages

Hi Lisa,

A few things ...
what college are you talking about ? I would have to double check my accuracy, but I don't believe that they can refuse entrance based on age. It should be based on ability.

I know there are plenty of colleges in CT that welcome 'young' children in college. I have four so far, that have done early entry; the youngest of which was 13 (she's 14 now). It wasn't any problem at all.

Manchester Community College and Quinebaug Valley C.C. (QVCC) are both good ones in that regard.

What part of the state are you in ? I'm working with someone from QVCC who is going to be speaking to a group of homeschoolers about entering college at QVCC and other services they have to offer. If you are in this area, you might be interested in attending when the details get planned.

Diane