Return to Website

CT C.H.E.E.R. Message Board

Are you new to homeschooling and have a question ? Are you new to eastern CT and want to connect with other homeschoolers ? Are you a current CHEER homeschooler, who can offer support to others on the forum ? Here's a place for you to post. Please note: No flaming; no advertisements. Thank you.

CT C.H.E.E.R. Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Considering home schooling

My daughter is 4 1/2 and while we have "registered" her for public Kindergarten, I am really having second thoughts and want to research home schooling as an option.

She hasn't officially started in public school yet and if we decide before school starts in the fall, is there anything legally I have to do with the school system to say we are homeschooling?

I want to have all my ducks in a row before we officially do this and the legal aspect is one area I want to make sure we are clear to go.

Looking forward to meeting other local parents who home school. I am in Willington.

Thanks!

Re: Considering home schooling

Heather,
My daughter is almost 4 1/2. We started "schooling' her almost 1 and half year ago. I looked up the legal stuff and talked to some homeschool veterans; from what they said, seems like you just need to make sure you give the notice of intent to your school district or something- Anyway I dont know much about it- and just wanted to let you know that you are not alone! Am reading a book called "Idiots guide to homeschooling" It has pretty good information on what to do legally. Also there is Homeschool Legal Defense (They have a website stipulating all that a state requires of homeschoolers- if you get time, check it out)

Am not sure how far away you are from us. We live in Manchester- but I would be willing to try out a playdate or homeschool support or something if you like. Send me an email if you would like to get together or something.

Joan

I am in Willington but I am always willing to meet for activities if not too far. You aren't too far. :) I don't see a link for your email, so I hope you get this reply. It has been months since your reply, I know but I finally have things settled and we are well on our way as homeschoolers.

Hi,

Here is an article that I wrote that you might find helpful. It addresses the law and policies relating to homeschooling. If you read it and have further questions, let me know.

In the late summer, I'm planning to coordinate a meeting about homeschool law and policies with an attorney (free of charge).

http://ct-cheer.com/homeschoolFAQ.htm

Diane
email: DrMomOfTen@hotmail.com
veteran homeschool mom =-)

Thank you, Diane!

I would definitely be interested in attending a meeting about homeschool law. I believe the best way to avoid any issues it to be well-versed in these matters. I find it always interesting that when you do your homework, you are often more up-to-date on issues and how to deal with things even more than those that are 'policing' you.

Looking forward to hearing more, Diane.

Thanks again.