Return to Website

LakeAnnaInfo.net Forum

Welcome!  Please feel free to discuss Lake Anna here anytime!

LakeAnnaInfo.net Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: High Speed Wireless Internet @ Lake Anna

I'm an iWisp customer. Their service is uneven and it is hard to get their attention sometimes. I believe this is growing pains.

They have recently added new towers which should improve both reception and throughput. I am seeing some improvement in streaming video.

Their main advantage over the rest of the providers is price. $40 a month and *no* cap on data usage. Some other providers really limit how much you can use the service.

In the coming weeks iWisp should be a lot more reliable with higher throughput.

Re: High Speed Wireless Internet @ Lake Anna

A year and a half has gone by and the available speed has increased greatly. I used to barely be able to watch videos, but now I get more than enough speed to watch any videos I want... when it is working. They had a streak of some months when the service was generally available, but the last few months it has been *very* uneven. Videos pause from time to time and are slow to start. Sometimes my email times out and email is one of those things that work over *dialup*!!!

I suspect when it gets like this it is because there is an equipment problem and they are not capitalized well enough to be able to get good equipment or to repair what they have. So service is very uneven. That said, if you need more than limited Internet access, there just isn't an affordable alternative. The cell phone companies limit how much data you can use without overage charges and the other wireless operator (used to be Va Broadband) has a cell like business model. Satellite is the pits, I don't know anyone who is happy with that.

I don't know when the central Virginia area will have decent high speed internet, but iWisp, even with all it's reliability problems, is the closest any provider gets.