Return to Website

In Memory of........

You're invited to honor your loved one on this board in any way that helps you deal with your grief whether it's a story, poem, link to a memorial site or sharing feelings about your loss.  Memorial candles are displayed at In Memory of Ben - Memorial Candles and will stay lit as long as this site is alive.
Please know that IP addresses are recorded.

In Memory of........
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Just so he is not forgoten

My Uncle James worked for Sante Fe Railroad, as did his father W.W.Potts. I dont know the exact date the wreck took place, but I do know the story.
There were two trains headed for Texax. My grandfather was in the first train and my Uncle in the second. They passed through Ada Oklahoma and west through Roff Oklahoma. It was just on the south western side of the small town of Hickory that it happened.
As my grandfathers train crossed that section of rail, he heard a snap. He went to the Porter and told him the track had broken. The Porter dismissed it, saying he was mistaken. It was just a few minutes later that my Uncle James's train came through, and sure enough the rail had broken. The engine flew off the track and landed on its side. My Uncle James was trapped in the steam pipes. His burns were so sever that he never reqained consciounes. I never met him, he died before I was born, but when I think about him and the wreck I feel sad in my heart. I feel cheated of knowing him. I guess you can still love someone, even having never met them.
If you listening Uncle James? your not forgotten.
Kathryn

Name of loved one and dates: James Potts. Died sometime in the early 1900's working for SFRR