Home | Underground History of American Education | History Tour | Bookstore
Newsletter / Discussion Board | Multimedia | Film: 4th Purpose | Retreat | Odysseus Group
About Us | Contact us | Links | Discussion Forum Archive
Return to Website

The Odysseus Group's Education Debate & Discussion Forum

This forum has been created for you, so feel free to use it often to share your ideas, insights, and experiences from which we all can learn. Please note that we will remove postings if they: a) are not germane to the subject of education, b) are advertisements or sales pitches, c) contain profanity, obscenity, or comments that are insulting to readers.

The Odysseus Group's Education Debate & Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Round 3 from the despicable people pushers

>>>>> Respect for difference should not be confused with approval for approaches that would splinter us into countless warring groups. Hence an argument that tolerance for diverse views and values is a foundational principle does not conflict with the notion that the state can and should limit the ability of intolerant homeschoolers to inculcate hostility to difference in their children—at least during the portion of the day they claim to devote to satisfying the compulsory schooling requirement.3<<<<<

Sooo, “tolerance” only goes one way, HER way is the only one that will be tolerated. Absolutely. And of course she has not a shred of legal or moral authority on which to claim this.

>>>>>Again, Professor Ross continues:
If a parent subscribes to an absolutist belief system premised on the notion that it was handed down by a creator, that it (like the Ten Commandments) is etched in stone and that all other systems are wrong, the essential lessons of a civic education (i.e., tolerance and mutual respect) often seem deeply challenging and suspect. If the core principle in a parent’s belief system is that there is only one immutable truth that cannot be questioned, many educational topics will be off limits. Such “private truths” have no place in the public arena, including the public schools.4<<<<<

But the opposite “private truth” of Ross and Yuracko IS immutable and and cannot be questioned.

>>>>>And, finally, Professor Ross tells us what she thinks should be done about us, in addition to imposing testing requirements and all manner of academic regulation.
I propose that we add to the civics education goals of the state, including lessons on mutual respect for diverse populations and viewpoints as a mandatory curricular requirement. As I observed above, some homeschoolers doubtless are committed to diversity, and this requirement would not conflict with their educational agenda, but this is not the group that concerns me.<<<<

LOL! Do tell! Which particular group don’t rear their children and teach them as YOU say they should, Ross?

Re: Round 3 from the despicable people pushers

>>>> Imposing curricular requirements about respect for diverse viewpoints will be seen as undermining the most authoritarian conservative homeschoolers—those who believe in an absolute truth which forms the basis of the education they provide their children. Unfortunately, the unavoidable counterpart of a belief in absolute truth is that other belief systems are mistaken at best, and at worst, evil.5<<<

Which is EXACTLY what she is saying about people who teach their kids that Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

>>>>Professors Yuracko and Ross are far from alone in urging these positions.<<<

Oooooo, an argument from authority and numbers! I’m converted to HER absolute truth!

>>>>> Professor Martha Albertson Fineman, from the Emory University School of Law, wrote in 2009 of her fear of parents with “oppressive, hierarchical belief systems.”6<<<

Fear of the belief systems of others? Why? Why no “respect”??

>>>>She says,
Indeed, the long-term consequences for the child being home schooled or sent to a private school cannot be overstated. The total absence of regulation over what and how children are taught leaves the child vulnerable to gaining a sub-par or non-existent education from which they may never recover.<<<<

There was an almost total absence of regulation when I home schooled (we had to have a teacher evaluate us at year end for $25.) and my kid got into a fairly selective private school. My other one is considering college and got a scholarship toward it. I submit that the children of others are not this womans business, despite her irrational fears.

>>>> Moreover, the risk that parents or private schools unfairly impose hierarchical or oppressive beliefs on their children is magnified by the absence of state oversight or the application of any particular educational standards.7<<<

Yes! It is for the STATE to “impose oppressive beliefs” on kids, not parents or pastors!

>>>>>So what does she recommend should be done about all of us?
Private education should be banned. All of it. Private schools, religious schools, homeschools.<<<<

Such “tolerance”, such “respect” for the beliefs of others.

>>>>. . . he more appropriate suggestion for our current educational dilemma is that public education should be mandatory and universal.<<<<

The hilarious thing is that she is still passing off this brainwashing as “education”, even after mincing around and admitting that they “fear” homeschoolers don’t indoctrinate enough. I think what they FEAR is an EDUCATED population.

>>>> Parental expressive interest could supplement but never supplant the public institutions where the basic and fundamental lesson would be taught and experienced by all American children: we must struggle together to define ourselves both as a collective and as individuals.8<<<<<

No, we DO NOT “ALL” have to “struggle together” to define ourselves as a “collective” OR as individuals. And, as KIND as it is of her to allow parents to “supplement” state worship indoctrination of their children, she doesn’t have the right to do so.

The jig is up. We are onto them. We KNOW they want us stupid and compliant so they can pursue their atheistic utopian schemes as the elites get richer and richer off our enslavement. Useful idiots. Their arguments are as bogus as their religion.

Thanks for posting, Dave.

Home | Underground History of American Education | History Tour | Bookstore
Newsletter / Discussion Board | Multimedia | Film: 4th Purpose | Retreat | Odysseus Group
About Us | Contact us | Links

© 2000-2001 The Odysseus Group
Suite 3W  295 East 8th Street  NY, NY 10009
Phone Toll Free: 888 211-7164   Fax: 212 529-3555
E-mail:info@johntaylorgatto.com

Site design by Exploded View