Home | Underground History of American Education | History Tour | Bookstore
Newsletter / Discussion Board | Multimedia | Film: 4th Purpose | Retreat | Odysseus Group
About Us | Contact us | Links | Discussion Forum Archive
Return to Website

The Odysseus Group's Education Debate & Discussion Forum

This forum has been created for you, so feel free to use it often to share your ideas, insights, and experiences from which we all can learn. Please note that we will remove postings if they: a) are not germane to the subject of education, b) are advertisements or sales pitches, c) contain profanity, obscenity, or comments that are insulting to readers.

The Odysseus Group's Education Debate & Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Got a Kindle

I do and it is an amazing gadget, it's become a part of the homeschooling day and saved me lots of dough. Right now we're reading a kid's history of England called An Island Story for $0.00 via Google Books. My hunch is that tablet computers will compete their way to about $200 and then they'll replace notebooks & PCs, we'll just have 2 or 3 lying around the house for everything, including video telephony (since they're solid state and not jostled like phones they don't really break or need replacement). Nook and Kindle are *very* cool devices though and I wish I could afford one of each.

Btw have you heard of the Espresso book machine? Soon to be in every library and bookstore. Pick your public domain title from Google Books, pay your $10 and watch the paperback volume get printed and bound before your eyes. Amazing!

"By "we'll" have them lying around the house I mean everyone, when they become as ubiquitous as cell phones... Though as a homeschooler on a budget I doubt I'll personally see another one for a few years...

I've read about those book making machines but haven't seen one. I wonder if you'd be able to print up a copy of your own work from a jump drive or something? I suppose it would have to be typed into a compatible program that would create margins, etc.
Very amazing stuff. I remember just yesterday when I thought my "bag" phone was so cool.LOL!
I'm afraid the Kindle may fall by the wayside as Amazon makes Kindle apps compatible with everything out there. They are really into selling books, not electronics. But I like the screen technology. It really is easier on the eyes. And I like being able to skip around reading different books and having it save my place. I like "Cooks Illustrated", the editor has a Kindle and there are a couple of Kindle version "Cook's Illustrated" cookbooks that I bought, so nice to take the whole cookbook to the store and have an ingredient list with you all the time. Sometimes I don't know what I want to make for dinner but as the day goes on something will strike me or I'll just browse the cookbook and stop on the way home. So convenient.
I will get a tablet when they get lower in price. And NOW I see that they have a "Special Offers" wifi and 3G Kindle for $50.00 more, so I'm bumming a little about that, but I really don't need the 3G and doubt I'd get service out here in the boonies anyway. Still....
I keep reading that the Kindles will be less than $100. by Christmas.

Percy,
"Btw have you heard of the Espresso book machine? Soon to be in every library and bookstore. Pick your public domain title from Google Books, pay your $10 and watch the paperback volume get printed and bound before your eyes. Amazing!"
You have half the idea. GRIN
1. We will have a machine far advanced over the nook and Kindle.
2. We will have the Expresson Book Machine as you described.
3. And we will have the Library of Congress and the library of the British Museum available on line for the Expresso book machine. We will also have other national libraries on line but I can't predict whose or when.
4. We will have a search engine far advanced over Google etal.
Ron

Percy,
My nook has became my buddy and my constant companion. I am watching the field but don't expect to buy until I see a tremendous up tick in utility. I predict that the current level of utility is only good for a year or two before bigger (more applications), faster, cheaper become available.
I can afford to replace every year or two but not every month or two.
Ron

Home | Underground History of American Education | History Tour | Bookstore
Newsletter / Discussion Board | Multimedia | Film: 4th Purpose | Retreat | Odysseus Group
About Us | Contact us | Links

© 2000-2001 The Odysseus Group
Suite 3W  295 East 8th Street  NY, NY 10009
Phone Toll Free: 888 211-7164   Fax: 212 529-3555
E-mail:info@johntaylorgatto.com

Site design by Exploded View