Home | Underground History of American Education | History Tour | Bookstore
Newsletter / Discussion Board | Multimedia | Film: 4th Purpose | Retreat | Odysseus Group
About Us | Contact us | Links | Discussion Forum Archive
Return to Website

The Odysseus Group's Education Debate & Discussion Forum

This forum has been created for you, so feel free to use it often to share your ideas, insights, and experiences from which we all can learn. Please note that we will remove postings if they: a) are not germane to the subject of education, b) are advertisements or sales pitches, c) contain profanity, obscenity, or comments that are insulting to readers.

The Odysseus Group's Education Debate & Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sylvan learning center

The only thing that I've heard about them is that they supposedly stole a friend of mine's free spelling system that she'd put online for anyone who wanted to use it, and made it their own.

If you're interested in what the National Councils of teachers of every subject matter say should be learned from preschool until secondary graduation, you might want to look at the compendium that mcrel.org has put up on its website (also free).

As for the teacher, Noel I think it was, who said that he gives his syllabus and phone number to each parent--kudos to you, but not every teacher does that.

I think that if you asked the schools for a detailed curriculum, you'd be shocked to find that they don't have one. They might have a bunch of blather that a bunch of teachers threw together over vacation time on stipend pay, but as for measurable learning objectives, tied to classroom instruction and learning materials, tied to the end-of-year achievement tests--well, it's probably not there. So you may want to raise hell at your schools until it IS there. Why should you have to pay extra if the schools aren't doing their job?

Nancy

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Has anyone used this company or know anything about it?

Home | Underground History of American Education | History Tour | Bookstore
Newsletter / Discussion Board | Multimedia | Film: 4th Purpose | Retreat | Odysseus Group
About Us | Contact us | Links

© 2000-2001 The Odysseus Group
Suite 3W  295 East 8th Street  NY, NY 10009
Phone Toll Free: 888 211-7164   Fax: 212 529-3555
E-mail:info@johntaylorgatto.com

Site design by Exploded View