Home | Underground History of American Education | History Tour | Bookstore
Newsletter / Discussion Board | Multimedia | Film: 4th Purpose | Retreat | Odysseus Group
About Us | Contact us | Links | Discussion Forum Archive
Return to Website

The Odysseus Group's Education Debate & Discussion Forum

This forum has been created for you, so feel free to use it often to share your ideas, insights, and experiences from which we all can learn. Please note that we will remove postings if they: a) are not germane to the subject of education, b) are advertisements or sales pitches, c) contain profanity, obscenity, or comments that are insulting to readers.

The Odysseus Group's Education Debate & Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Not surprising

Considering 1/3 of the adult population as a whole is functionally illiterate anyway.

you forgot Europe and every place that has adopted the same "education" plan.

Here is the actual government study;
http://nces.ed.gov/NAAL/PDF/2006470_1.PDF

Re: Educators shocked at illiteracy of college graduates

Hello everyone...haven't been able to talk for awhile.....looked in briefly every so often......must make my little statement as to this particular thread.

JTG has probably UNDERSTATED the problems with public education in the US. The current political manisfestations are ugly. The fact that the average American adult reads less than one book per year is putrid. Our homeschoolers read 20 or more books per week! I'm reading a recent book by Jimmy Carter who I (probabley mistakenly) did not vote for in the seventies (thinking that Republicans reduced tax burden...prior to Reagan, Bush I, and BushII who increased the cost of government more than all other presidents combined) which points out the abominable status of governmental morality in the current administration, but I am not so putrified as to the administratin as I am as to the general public of the US who holds the ultimate responsibility. The gd morons who are not correcting the situation via the voting booth or otherwise hold the entire ownership of this mess we live in. As I have said repeatedly, "Freedom is not a priveledge granted, but a responsibility held".

When less than half of advanced degree graduates, have reasonable ability to read.....how the he**ll many people in this country have any ability to THINK?

Carter's book could have been titled "The American Taliban"!!!!!!!

I origionally joined this group thinking that education (indoctrination) was part of the problem, but now am convinced that it is nothing but one one of the symptoms. Sin and sex are now defined as the same word. Economic sin does not exist, according to those in control, and those blind ignorant sheep who are the average american (doesn't warrent capitalization). "In od We Trust" ironically means: "We worship the Dollar". Education is a farce......the American people [in the majority] have no guts, no backbone, no morality, and no ability to think. If they did, schooling would be the least of our problems.

The axis*of*evil is in fact "BUREAUCRACY" to which americans [doesn't justify capitalization] have totally sucommed out of fear of thinking for themselves, including the bureaucracy of government (sub-including education), the bureaucracy of church, the bureaucracy of economics, the bureaucay of [so-called] law, the bureaucracy of a sicknees maintenance system instead of am attitude and behavior that supports the maintenance of bodily health, and the net result which is the simple fact that we do not solve problems amoung ourselves and our neighbors, we forego a relationship with God for a relationship with church, we do not produce those things that we need for the support of life, we feed extortionalte lawyers instead of holding justice amoung ourselves, and "healthcare" costs compound at double digit rates while we rapidly deline as to our ability to stay alive.
All of this feeds the growing bureaucracy of terrorism because a super power that is immoral and inconsiderate and selfrighteous and incapable of holding the responsibility of freedom will attract such feedback.
If our advanced degree colledge graduates cannot even read, what should we expect?

Bureaucracy is technologically obsolite.

Want solutions?

Microproduction. Direct and respectfull interface with neighbors near and far. Christ would approve and this ancient old engineer would approve; what the he**ll else whould you want?

Csrter's book is worth reading. Freedom is worth reclaiming. Learning is an art entirely devoid of education. Peace. Bruce.

WTH something new...what is the "please enter the text in the image

Took 4 tries to enter privious post and stiil c onfused as to how it didn't and then did happen???????????

Re: Re: Educators shocked at illiteracy of college graduates

Hi Bruce, glad you're back

The "Please enter the text in the above image", caught me offguard when the board owners first came up with that gem. I have a small laptop and usually don't need to wear reading glasses .

You forgot self~serving bureaucracies The dumbing down process is backfiring, Spartacus's article is only a small (tidbit) of what's happening. Not just in North America , it's a worldwide pandemic, and I'm not talking "Bird Flu", or "Mad Cow". The workerbees are becoming so dumb they can't work. WHAT WILL the bureaucrat/elitists DO now, who will FEED them.

Kiddo was telling me today about the kooks she works with, not a thinking brain left between their ears and they're twice her age I betcha they did very well in "school" eh

DS2 (22 year old) phoned tonight complaining he can't find people who are mentally able to learn machining, they upped the starting wage (no experience) from $8/hr to $12, talking $14 this year, for mostly dingalings. He'd do better by hiring his little sis but she isn't interested in becoming a machinist . Maybe he could beg LOL

DS1 told his dad that he's thinking of stealing a fellow (Bob) fromP.E.I that was his lead hand with the company he worked for, he's good, which is rare. Maybe Bob was a homescholar as well. Education isn't an issue , it's thinking skillsand the ability to learn.

Sorry Bruce I'm chuckling with what I'm writing here, but you know me , so it's all good

There's a lot of Microproduction popping up in our communties Bruce. I noticed more signs
at the end of peoples' driveways than ever before. I sure hope our county doesn't do what many counties do and start TAXING the little guys. When we traveled through the northern States there were lots of shingles advertising services/products . Canucks are catchin on

You wrote; "Freedom is worth reclaiming. Learning is an art entirely devoid of education." Love~it Bruce, thanks for remembering to come here and visit us

Have to scoot and put another log on the fire. I guess we don't get 20/20 anymore, used to see the program on tv here. Oh well , hopefully I can catch it on their website tomorrow .

Bobby aka Oma in Canuckland
Oiy code for this post is NPBK ((sigh))

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hello everyone...haven't been able to talk for awhile.....looked in briefly every so often......must make my little statement as to this particular thread.

JTG has probably UNDERSTATED the problems with public education in the US. The current political manisfestations are ugly. The fact that the average American adult reads less than one book per year is putrid. Our homeschoolers read 20 or more books per week! I'm reading a recent book by Jimmy Carter who I (probabley mistakenly) did not vote for in the seventies (thinking that Republicans reduced tax burden...prior to Reagan, Bush I, and BushII who increased the cost of government more than all other presidents combined) which points out the abominable status of governmental morality in the current administration, but I am not so putrified as to the administratin as I am as to the general public of the US who holds the ultimate responsibility. The gd morons who are not correcting the situation via the voting booth or otherwise hold the entire ownership of this mess we live in. As I have said repeatedly, "Freedom is not a priveledge granted, but a responsibility held".

When less than half of advanced degree graduates, have reasonable ability to read.....how the he**ll many people in this country have any ability to THINK?

Carter's book could have been titled "The American Taliban"!!!!!!!

I origionally joined this group thinking that education (indoctrination) was part of the problem, but now am convinced that it is nothing but one one of the symptoms. Sin and sex are now defined as the same word. Economic sin does not exist, according to those in control, and those blind ignorant sheep who are the average american (doesn't warrent capitalization). "In od We Trust" ironically means: "We worship the Dollar". Education is a farce......the American people [in the majority] have no guts, no backbone, no morality, and no ability to think. If they did, schooling would be the least of our problems.

The axis*of*evil is in fact "BUREAUCRACY" to which americans [doesn't justify capitalization] have totally sucommed out of fear of thinking for themselves, including the bureaucracy of government (sub-including education), the bureaucracy of church, the bureaucracy of economics, the bureaucay of [so-called] law, the bureaucracy of a sicknees maintenance system instead of am attitude and behavior that supports the maintenance of bodily health, and the net result which is the simple fact that we do not solve problems amoung ourselves and our neighbors, we forego a relationship with God for a relationship with church, we do not produce those things that we need for the support of life, we feed extortionalte lawyers instead of holding justice amoung ourselves, and "healthcare" costs compound at double digit rates while we rapidly deline as to our ability to stay alive.
All of this feeds the growing bureaucracy of terrorism because a super power that is immoral and inconsiderate and selfrighteous and incapable of holding the responsibility of freedom will attract such feedback.
If our advanced degree colledge graduates cannot even read, what should we expect?

Bureaucracy is technologically obsolite.

Want solutions?

Microproduction. Direct and respectfull interface with neighbors near and far. Christ would approve and this ancient old engineer would approve; what the he**ll else whould you want?

Csrter's book is worth reading. Freedom is worth reclaiming. Learning is an art entirely devoid of education. Peace. Bruce.

Home | Underground History of American Education | History Tour | Bookstore
Newsletter / Discussion Board | Multimedia | Film: 4th Purpose | Retreat | Odysseus Group
About Us | Contact us | Links

© 2000-2001 The Odysseus Group
Suite 3W  295 East 8th Street  NY, NY 10009
Phone Toll Free: 888 211-7164   Fax: 212 529-3555
E-mail:info@johntaylorgatto.com

Site design by Exploded View