Home | Underground History of American Education | History Tour | Bookstore
Newsletter / Discussion Board | Multimedia | Film: 4th Purpose | Retreat | Odysseus Group
About Us | Contact us | Links | Discussion Forum Archive
Return to Website

The Odysseus Group's Education Debate & Discussion Forum

This forum has been created for you, so feel free to use it often to share your ideas, insights, and experiences from which we all can learn. Please note that we will remove postings if they: a) are not germane to the subject of education, b) are advertisements or sales pitches, c) contain profanity, obscenity, or comments that are insulting to readers.

The Odysseus Group's Education Debate & Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Wow aren't the generous....

Do ya think it can produce FOOD OR WATER? (sigh)

Re: Wow aren't the generous....

Well, there's enough food and water to go around, but there are control issues involved:

The So-Called Green Revolution
Follow-up on Green Revolution

A deeper look at the root causes of hunger will reveal that any claim that world hunger is caused by a lack of food is simply a self-serving agribusiness myth. In reality, food production has kept pace with population growth. Studies conducted by the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) clearly indicate that it is abundance, not scarcity, that best describes the world's food supply. Every year, enough wheat, rice, and other grains are produced to provide every human with 3,500 daily calories. In fact, enough food is grown worldwide to provide 4.3 pounds of food per person per day, which would include two and a half pounds of grain, beans, and nuts, a pound of fruits and vegetables, and nearly another pound of meat, milk, and eggs....

If we have plenty of food to feed today's population and to support population growth for the foreseeable future, why do 800 million people still go hungry every day? One basic cause is food dependence. The industrial system has, over centuries and in virtually every area of the globe, "enclosed" farmland, forcing subsistence peasants off the land, so that it can be used for growing high-priced export crops rather than diverse crops for local populations. The result of enclosure was, and continues to be, that untold millions of peasants lose their land, community, traditions, and most directly their ability to grow their own food-their food independence. Removed from their land and means of survival, the new "landless" then flock to the newly industrialized cities where they quickly become a class of urban poor competing for low-paying jobs and doomed to long-term hunger or starvation. The victims of enclosure are becoming ever more numerous. Just 50 years ago, only 18 percent of the population of developing countries resided in cities; by the year 2000 the figure jumped to 40 percent. Unless current policies change, by 2030 it is estimated that 56 percent of the developing world will be urban dwellers. A United Nations report has found that close to 50 percent of this urban population growth is due to migration, much of it forced, from rural to urban communities.
The self-education and peer-collaboration potential of this program is delightfully subversive. Maybe it will be one of the factors involved in levelling the playing field?

I voted "Green" last election

No, there isn't enough food (edible food) to go around. Don't get me started on WATER the most precisious..... Your country is looking at our country for WATER? Don't get me started on the distruction of lands, Watch a kiddie movie "Fern Gully" (sp) and see how machines obliviate nature.
Some yoyo phoned me this week surveying what we thought of a new parkland along our rivervalley. I said; "leave it alone". People in Edmonton have lots of places to walk, no need for more taxpayer spending. That's a long story short....

You might look into why your country is running out of drinkable WATER?

Different "Green"

The "Green Revolution" refers to the promotion of genetically modified crops by large agribusiness corporations. It has nothing to do with environmentalism or the Green Party. You should read the critique that I linked to, it's quite informative:

http://mutualist.blogspot.com/2006/01/so-called-green-revolution.html
http://mutualist.blogspot.com/2006/01/follow-up-on-green-revolution.html

Another quote:

Monocultures and uniformity increase the risks of crop failure as diverse seeds adapted to diverse ecosystems are replaced by rushed introduction of unadapted and often untested seeds into the market. When Monsanto first introduced Bt Cotton in India in 2002, the farmers lost Rs. 1 billion due to crop failure. Instead of 1,500 Kg / acre as promised by the company, the harvest was as low as 200 kg. Instead of increased incomes of Rs. 10,000 / acre, farmers ran into losses of Rs. 6400 / acre.

In the state of Bihar, when farm saved corn seed was displaced by Monsanto's hybrid corn, the entire crop failed creating Rs. 4 billion losses and increased poverty for already desperately poor farmers.

Third World agriculture today exists in the context of a colonial history where peasant cultivators were pushed off of the best land and onto marginal land, and the most fertile, level land was used for plantation farming of cash crops. It is a myth that Third World hunger results mainly from primitive farming techniques, or that the solution is a technocratic fix. Hunger results from the fact that land once used to grow staple foods for the people working it is now used to grow cash crops for urban elites or for the export markets, while the former peasant proprietors are without a livelihood.

Re: Different "Green"

Oooops.
Thanks for the links, hubby will want a printout on this info, he's the seed/farming/science pro in the family ..

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

The "Green Revolution" refers to the promotion of genetically modified crops by large agribusiness corporations. It has nothing to do with environmentalism or the Green Party. You should read the critique that I linked to, it's quite informative:

http://mutualist.blogspot.com/2006/01/so-called-green-revolution.html
http://mutualist.blogspot.com/2006/01/follow-up-on-green-revolution.html

Another quote:

Monocultures and uniformity increase the risks of crop failure as diverse seeds adapted to diverse ecosystems are replaced by rushed introduction of unadapted and often untested seeds into the market. When Monsanto first introduced Bt Cotton in India in 2002, the farmers lost Rs. 1 billion due to crop failure. Instead of 1,500 Kg / acre as promised by the company, the harvest was as low as 200 kg. Instead of increased incomes of Rs. 10,000 / acre, farmers ran into losses of Rs. 6400 / acre.

In the state of Bihar, when farm saved corn seed was displaced by Monsanto's hybrid corn, the entire crop failed creating Rs. 4 billion losses and increased poverty for already desperately poor farmers.

Third World agriculture today exists in the context of a colonial history where peasant cultivators were pushed off of the best land and onto marginal land, and the most fertile, level land was used for plantation farming of cash crops. It is a myth that Third World hunger results mainly from primitive farming techniques, or that the solution is a technocratic fix. Hunger results from the fact that land once used to grow staple foods for the people working it is now used to grow cash crops for urban elites or for the export markets, while the former peasant proprietors are without a livelihood.

Re: I voted "Green" last election

People move to the desert Southwest and proceed to plant lawns, flower gardens, wash their cars, etc. The aquifer is being destroyed. I'm sure there are schemes to divert Great Lakes water off as well as Canadian water. Good for Canada for saying NO. Just watch out that Osama isn't seen up there somewhere, the US might have to "spread some democracy".

Hi JS...

Years ago I heard that Great Lakes water was already being diverted, that's why the water levels are so low. I don't have written proof tho :-( There is a marina near my hometown where a group of people had to hire a dredger so folks could get their boats out onto the river. That was about 5 years ago . Our water levels are horribly DOWN up here as well. Hubby and I took the pups for a quad ride today. Drove onto a local lake to let them run. You can see how low the waterlevel is there.

Little Snoops looks funny running on ice trying to keep up with our Border Collie. That pup is all ears ;-) His front legs are almost normal and I clocked the little guy at 20 kilometers an hour

Someday JS, water will be our greatest treasure ...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

People move to the desert Southwest and proceed to plant lawns, flower gardens, wash their cars, etc. The aquifer is being destroyed. I'm sure there are schemes to divert Great Lakes water off as well as Canadian water. Good for Canada for saying NO. Just watch out that Osama isn't seen up there somewhere, the US might have to "spread some democracy".

Home | Underground History of American Education | History Tour | Bookstore
Newsletter / Discussion Board | Multimedia | Film: 4th Purpose | Retreat | Odysseus Group
About Us | Contact us | Links

© 2000-2001 The Odysseus Group
Suite 3W  295 East 8th Street  NY, NY 10009
Phone Toll Free: 888 211-7164   Fax: 212 529-3555
E-mail:info@johntaylorgatto.com

Site design by Exploded View