Home | Underground History of American Education | History Tour | Bookstore
Newsletter / Discussion Board | Multimedia | Film: 4th Purpose | Retreat | Odysseus Group
About Us | Contact us | Links | Discussion Forum Archive
Return to Website

The Odysseus Group's Education Debate & Discussion Forum

This forum has been created for you, so feel free to use it often to share your ideas, insights, and experiences from which we all can learn. Please note that we will remove postings if they: a) are not germane to the subject of education, b) are advertisements or sales pitches, c) contain profanity, obscenity, or comments that are insulting to readers.

The Odysseus Group's Education Debate & Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How do you convince someone that one should not go to stupid schools

My father says that he thinks that school is stupid but that I should go to school and do well in school because that it is unlikely that I will be able to have a successful life without going to school (or something pretty close to that). He says that I need to do well in high school so I can have a wide range of colleges from which to choose and, therefore, make the best use of the money that he has saved for me to attend college. (This is also pretty close to what many of my friends would say.)

He may just be making this up to shut me up, but if he is not lying about his opinion, what is the most effective way to convince him that he is wrong?

Re: How do you convince someone that one should not go to stupid schools

"He may just be making this up to shut me up, but if he is not lying about his opinion, what is the most effective way to convince him that he is wrong?"

One way you can is to vote with your feet when you're 18 by charting your own path on your own nickle. Until that time be persisten, consistent, and respectful.

Buy and read "Teenage Liberation Handbook" by Grace Llewellyn.

(more about Grace LLewellyn here)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Llewellyn

You father is definitely not lying to you. Consider that he really means what he says. Nobody really believes schools are places of learning but nearly everyone believes the only real way to succeed is to follow the well beaten path and go to one. That's your problem, you need to present your father with a rock solid alternative. As bad as they are school look official with all their paperwork and record and homeschoolers by comparison seem haphazard. You father is just looking out for you. Explore the alternatives and be willing to work and pray.

All Best

S.

Hi,
Your father has your best interest in his heart. What he dose not know is that he himself is a victim of what is taught in school. Group Behavior.

I had homeschooled both my children and did send them to college. The fact is that our society still places a high value on the diploma, but that is not why I sent them to college. I sent them to college because there was a body of knowledge that they needed to gain. Yes. I do believe that knowledge can be gained through other means and even better than what is taught in schools.

If you truly believe in an alternative direction, then it is important for you to make a plan. Spell out the steps that it would take to execute your plan and present it to your father. Be realistic, when you go outside the system there will be discrimination. You must be willing to face that with strength. Remember that many of the greatest changes were made by individuals who followed their own path with strength and determination.

Set a goal.
Chart a plan.
Estimate the cost of executing the plan.
Find documentation that will validate your choice to self educate.
Present it to your father.

If you are not good at making convincing presentations you may ask for help from a local toastmasters group.

Good luck and remember to treat your parents with respect and dignity

Re: Re: How do you convince someone that one should not go to stupid schools

It seems to me the key word here is "education." What you need to succeed in life is a great education. While I suspect it is possible in a few public schools, it generally is hopeless. Generally, I think colleges and Universities offer more chances for quality education, but you really do not need to go to high school to get in to a great university. Many love home schoolers.

(That said, don't interpret what I am saying as College is the *only* way to get an education. There are many other options. But in my experiences, when doing something like studing a subject, doing it in the context of a group with interaction and collaboration is more effective and interesting than just reading books.)

-gg

What do you want to do, Thomas?

Have you any goals of your own?
Love to hear about YOUR goals (interests)...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My father says that he thinks that school is stupid but that I should go to school and do well in school because that it is unlikely that I will be able to have a successful life without going to school (or something pretty close to that). He says that I need to do well in high school so I can have a wide range of colleges from which to choose and, therefore, make the best use of the money that he has saved for me to attend college. (This is also pretty close to what many of my friends would say.)

He may just be making this up to shut me up, but if he is not lying about his opinion, what is the most effective way to convince him that he is wrong?

Home | Underground History of American Education | History Tour | Bookstore
Newsletter / Discussion Board | Multimedia | Film: 4th Purpose | Retreat | Odysseus Group
About Us | Contact us | Links

© 2000-2001 The Odysseus Group
Suite 3W  295 East 8th Street  NY, NY 10009
Phone Toll Free: 888 211-7164   Fax: 212 529-3555
E-mail:info@johntaylorgatto.com

Site design by Exploded View