Bravenet Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
scale of minis

Hi Jim,

Is there a reason that the scale of your miniatures keep getting taller? It seems to me that they're quite abit bigger than 28mm. I really love the quality of the miniatures, but don't care for the heroric scale.

Ken

Re: scale of minis

Hi Ken -

Which miniatures are the offenders in your opinion?

I know on many of the GRRM minis, the characters in the books are VERY tall (Jamie, The Hound, The Mountain, Tywin The GreatJon, and alot of males in the 6'2" to 6'6" range, heck even Melisandre is dang near 6 feet tall in the books). In addition, Jeff Grace will once in a while do a taller mini based on the concept.

And lets be honest, there are also isolated instances, were sometimes a mini just comes out a little on the tall side of the equation (just like there are times where they come out a little on the short side - just like in real life).

I have played short characters in my gaming and also very tall characters in my gaming so having a nice mix (that all fit in together in terms of overall vibe/look/feel) is a good thing.

Let me know or drop me an email and include links or mini names/codes.

Thanks!

Jim
www.DarkSwordMiniatures.com

I just received the DSM7432 - Female Dark Elf with Hand Crossbow (Great sculpt)and for an elf she's pretty tall. I have bought a lot of Dark sword miniatures and have noticed that they have gotten bigger since I started collecting them. I'm sorry if I seem to be nit-picking but One of the reasons I started buying your minis is the size of the scale.

Hi Ken -

Ah yes, the Female Dark Elf with Crossbow. She is a indeed taller elf (more of a World of Warcraft Elven height where they are a good 6 inches taller than humans) than some of our other elves which go more towards the traditional Elven height (shorter than humans). You can get into the whole high elf vs wood elf vs dark elf and the heights (from classic gaming systems), but you are correct, she is taller than a good deal of our miniatures. In regards to our minis over the years, I guess it depends on what you are comparing to. All the Tom Meier Parkinson stuff (and some of the Gael Goumon stuff) ran a tad smaller than our original Dennis Mize stuff (even at the time). So our newer stuff is also going to be taller than that those same pieces. I can easily table up almost anything newer with our classic Dennis Mize sculpts and have no issues at all as it would just be like walking through a shopping mall with all the different heights and body types you see over the course of an hour in any local mall.

I would say 95% of the Jeff Grace sculpts and all the Patrick Keith sculpts on the Elmore line and VIF line fit in with the older Dennis Mize sculpts on the same lines no worries at all. Jeff likes to sometimes go a little more heroic though to get a certain look/feel/vibe on a piece from time to time. The GRRM line gets interesting because of the specific sizes George calls out in the books. Most of the minis fit right in though on the table top and look great. Giants like The Mountain that Rides, the Hound and others of course are going to be a good deal taller than your average bear.

Thanks Ken

Jim
www.DarkSwordMiniatures.com