Bravenet Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Metallics and non-metallics used on Armor

Hey DarkSword,

First of all, the quality of your sculpts is incredible! Me being an avid fan of "A Song of Ice and Fire," I came across your Martin line with great excitement. I placed an order today (The Hound, The Mountain, Brienne of Tarth, and Victarion Greyjoy) and am looking forward to painting them.

I have a question regarding the paints used on your example figures, (specifically the armor, even more specifically Brienne's cobalt blue plate). What paints do you use, or recommend to accomplish the subtle metallics of the armor? I'm no stranger to painting models, however I don't have a lot of experience with depicting the realistic shine of armor. Since I am so passionate about the series, I really want to do a good job on these, so planning ahead is a must. Hopefully you can share some of your methods. Regardless, I wanted to let you know that, as a fan of both the books and television series (more books) I am very impressed with how accurate you depicted some of my favorite characters.

Keep up the great work, and definitely count on some repeat business from yours truly.

P.S. I look forward to some mounted knights in the future (hopefully!)

Re: Metallics and non-metallics used on Armor

Hi Chris -

Thanks for your post and your kind words.

Reaper Master Series Paints are what almost all of our painters use. They are amazing.

The armor effect you are talking about is NMM (Non Metallic Metal). There are many tutorials about this painting style online. In addition, you can see it live and in action on the Hot Lead Painting DVD which we sell in our Online Store.

Thanks!

Jim
www.DarkSwordMiniatures.com

Re: Metallics and non-metallics used on Armor

I noticed you side stepped the question about mounted figures. I know you get tired of me asking,but, are there plans for a mounted line? I believe it'll be a huge hit.(I'll keep my fingers crossed)