Bravenet Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Size matters.

I'm trying to purchase alike scaled miniatures to form my player character party. I love the work that Darksword does. My question is size. I have DSM5003 Melisandre by Tom Meier and SMElmore07B - Pirate Lass by Tom Meier, there is a great difference in the height. I was wondering if there was a reason and how DSM7207 - Young Male Cleric by Gael Goumon and DSM5035 - Robb Stark by Tom Meier compare to the others in height?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Size matters.

Hello -

The Elven Pirate Lass by Tom Meier is one of the smallest minis (if not the smallest) in our entire range. Your two miniatures next to each other is the most "extreme" female to female comparison in the line to be honest.

The Elmore Pirate Lass was sculpted a few year back when Tom was actually sculpting them a tad undersized when compared to Dennis Mize (and later Jeff Grace). Tom is now sculpting in a "beefier/taller" size/scale and his new minis fit in very well with the Jeff Grace/Dennis Mize and Dave Summers pieces. Gael fits in really well with Dennis, Jeff and Dave as well, but Tom's GRRM stuff is going to be just a tad beefier/taller than the Gael stuff. This might sound like circular logic, but it is indeed true. When you see them all in the display cases together, you would see the Gael pieces fitting in with the Jeff/Dennis pieces just fine.

Rough n' Tough

1. Tom Meier Parkinson / Elmore Pirate Lass - Smallest
2. Gael Goumon - True mid
3. Dennis Mize - mid to larger
4. Jeff Grace - mid to larger
5. Tom Meier GRRM and other Dark Sword anniv pieces - Largest

So comparing a level 1 to a level 5 in the example above is going to indeed be extreme. Tom's GRRM stuff fits in well with the Dennis Mize/Jeff Grace stuff.

Please note - in real life people do vary quite a bit in size/heights. If your gaming characters are all supposed to be around the same height, than I would not pick out both miniatures. I would do another Gael piece or a Dennis Mize, Jeff Grace piece to go along with the Gael Cleric.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jim
www.DarkSwordMiniatures.com

I just placed my order.

Thanks!
Chris

Many folks complain about size but, IIRC, real life people actually vary in size :)

I have a photo taken in 1916 showing the tallest and shortest men in a Askari kompagnie in Deutsch Ost Afrika. On is about 6'6", the other about 4'8". They carry different sized rifles in that the shorter carries a carbine and the taller a full rifle.

A petite size person will carry smaller sized weapon and gear compared to a large sized person.

I never understood why folks expect every figure to be the same size when real life shows us that size varies considerably!

Just some thoughts ...

Real life doesn't just have extremes it has norms and it has standard deviations it isn't all over the place. (In other words, the more minis you put together the more unified the overall sizes have to be to look like real life) Nobody expects them to be all the size... but they need to be within a certain range or it just looks silly and extreme. As an example: in a group of 100 men, you might have one or 2 thats on each extreme end of the spectrum and that looks fine as long as the masses are still within the standard deviation of norm, with most leaning towards the average. But having 50 men that are on the extreme large side and 50 men on the extreme small side just looks stupid - thats what people are trying to avoid.

I too have been looking for models to represent our gaming party.
Since I will be using mainly GW models as NPC's, how do these models generally compare to those? because I've pretty much made up my mind, apart from size.