Bravenet Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Assembly Required?

so i ordered http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/gallery/V_femalepaladin.htm from Dark Sword and I wasn't really thinking about it at the time because it doesn't mention it but it's pretty obvious that the sword and shield come as separate pieces that you attach. If i had fully realized this i would have asked BEFORE i ordered it but it's my fault for not paying attention. Anyway, I did order it and recieved it fine but how do I attach these pieces? I've just recently gotten into model painting so I'm not very familiar with a lot of things I'm sure most people think nothing of. I did notice some substance was used on the model's page but I'm not sure what it is.

Re: Assembly Required?

Good ol' Super Glue is what you use.

You will need an Xacto knife to carefully clean/trim the piece along with the rest of the mini.

You will then use Super Glue (common like you would get from Home Depot or something a little exotic like you can get from a local hobby store)to glue any pieces on.

There are tons of various brands out there for Super Glue.

Regards,

Jim
www.DarkSwordMiniatures.com

thank you, i thought super glue might work but i wasn't entirely sure... so i thought i would check first. i just kind of jumped into miniatures lol i didn't really plan it out, so i haven't done a lot of research like i know i should, but i like to learn things as i go, if i read about it first i usually forget and do it wrong or just end up asking anyway lol i had been wanting to get into them for a while and one day i just bought one and ordered some paints and there ya go lol

If you use a superglue, a gap-filling variety like Zap-a-gap comes in handy when the 2 parts don't necessarily have that much metal-on-metal contact, as regular superglues can sometimes form weak bonds in those situations. One solution is to do a little work with a file so the parts join up as flush as possible. A 2-part epoxy is another option that will handle gaps easily (occasionally, if you're lucky, even removing the need to run a bead of green stuff putty along the join line to get that seamless look) and always forms a strong bond, but it doesn't flow as well (more of an issue if you get into pinning*) or bond as quickly (hint: embedding both parts - though not up to right where they join - in a container of sand is a great way to hold the parts in place while the epoxy cures), and you have a bit more sticky mess to deal with (ie. mixing the 2 gooey parts, not that superglued-together fingertips/eyelids can't be messy). IMO both types have a place in a miniaturist's arsenal, but the superglue is probably the more popular option.

* Pinning is almost a must when attaching large and heavy parts (like a dragon's wings), or to a slightly lesser degree when you are attaching a part that seems likely to be used as a handle, or that might easily get bumped into frequently on the game table. I've had enough parts fall off of minis on me over the years that I now pin pretty much every part I can, but truly it is an optional step - since you say you're new to minis, you may want to hold off a bit until you know whether you're going to stick with it. If you're interested, you should be able to find a decent pin vise with a few micro-drill bits at any good hobby store, or else online. IIRC mine - the swivelling hexagonal palm-end type - cost me about $7 Cdn and came with a small selection of bits. The only other thing needed is the pins - I use paperclips; some favour brass rods or even guitar strings. Here is a tutorial for the best pinning method I have come across, at least in my opinion, to give you an idea of what is involved.

Happy assembling!

Jeff