Bravenet Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Miniatures Sizes

So i noticed most of the models on this site are fairly small, 28-30mm so somewhere between 1"-1.5" are any of these miniatures made on a slightly larger scale?

and even on slightly larger ones i have a very hard time painting detailed eyes (like with whites, pupils, irises) and eye brows, does anyone have any tips? i think i need a small brush... and steadier hands.

Re: Miniatures Sizes

We have some 54mm pieces (4 to be exact) that are a good deal larger and of course fun to paint.

You can see them in our online store and they are noted as 54mm scale.

Regards,

Jim
www.DarkSwordMiniatures.com

Eyes can be a pain. Often at small scales the simplest way to paint the eyes is not to paint them. Just leave them the same colour as the darkest tone on the skin.

The next simplest way to paint eyes at a small scale is a line and a dot.A dot in the middle of the eye, and a line crossing through the top of the dot so that it looks like an eyebrow and a pupil.

The next way to paint eyes is more complicated.
1: Paint the entire eye black.
2: Paint the eye white (but leave a thin black line around the edge).
3: Paint a white dot in the middle of the eye.
4: Tidy up the white on each side of the dot if neccessary.
5: Tidy up the skin around the edge of the eye (again, if neccessary).

My prefered method of painting eyes is as above but doing the eyes before the skin. That way I can paint the eyes on then paint the skin up to the edges of the eye (which is less work than painting the skin, painting the eye, then painting more skin back around the edges of the eye). Some people prefer to do the eyes before the skin and some prefer to do the skin first. You'll find which works the best for you.

Another useful trick when doing eyes is to paint one eye then turn the miniature upside down to do the other one (so you're effectively painting the same shape twice instead of trying to do it the other way around). It basicaly means that each eye is on the same side of the head when you paint it which makes it easier than trying to do the opposite side just after you've done one.

I hope this post helps you on the eye front.

yes, i see them now, had to do a search for them, but i don't like any of them so i suppose it doesn't matter lol. i know these miniatures are this size for games and such but i don't play the games, i just like to paint models lol

and thank you balgin, that does help, i'll be sure to try one of those methods when i get my next model. i heard some where that most people don't bother to paint on eyebrows unless the model is bald, i think i might go with that philosophy with eyebrows XD but i would like to paint on eyes so that helps. Thank you :)

The type of brush and the type of paints you use can help or hinder the whole eye-painting ordeal, but there are some good tricks that can help, no matter what you have in your mini-painting arsenal.

Reaper miniatures has really good forums for mini-painters and a huge community of friendly and skillful members who are always willing to help anyone, no matter their skill level. They welcome pictures and discussion of minis from any company, which is part of what makes their forums such a valuable resource for miniatures enthusiasts of all sorts. I hope it's OK that I mention/link their site here - I've noticed a few places around the site where Jim has mentioned that the 2 companies are pretty friendly, so I'll just hope I haven't committed some sort of no-no by posting this...

Here area couple of links I found there dealing with painting miniature eyes:
Bette Davis Eyes
Derek Schubert's eye-painting tutorial
Marike Reimer's eye-painting tutorial
(note, Marike's and Derek's tuts are quite similar; both are world-class painters, in case you aren't familiar with their work)

Hope you find those helpful - here's another thread there that is all links to painting tutorials.

Enjoy!

Jeff

I actualy found a really good trick to painting eyebrows. It is simply not painting them. As I (personaly) start with the dar shades then work my way up, I simply leave the underside of the brow ridges the same colour as the darkest shadows on the skin and it miraculaously looks like I've painted eyebrows (depending on how the brow ridges were sculpted, most Dark Sword minis suit this style/trick 'though). I haven't painted eyebrows in years. Now I just highlight around them instead (and nobody notices they're a touch low :p).

thanks westeros for those links, im a member on the reaper forums, ive found a few helpful tutorials but theres so many on there that when i search i get so many results i don't feel like sifting through them to find what i'm looking for lol

balgin- someone has mentioned a similar technique to me before, i think i'll give it a try some time.

thanks you two :) if my camera wasn't a piece of crap and could actually take good pictures on such a small scale i'd post a few pictures of miniatures and ask for some tips but c'est la vie