Bravenet Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spoilers in descriptions

I think you do a disservice to your customers by having spoilers, whether intentional or not, in your descriptions of some of your miniatures. For example the description on how to paint Cersei in the GRRM series. This is a horrible spoiler, tyvm. You can't assume all of the people browsing your website have completed the series. And you don't have to give the reason a particular character's wardrobe may have changed over time.

Re: Spoilers in descriptions

Hi there.

George R.R. Martin actually provided the painting guides as we shared them with our painters and then posted them up online.

I guess we both assume that folks have read the entire series as it has been 5 years since his last book (Feast for Crows). With that being said, I do understand that some people find the series because the miniatures draw them into it.

In situations like this, it will be tough to not have spoilers. For example - The Mountain vs. The Viper being sculpted as a dueling set (from their epic battle in Book 3) is a dead giveaway they will fight.

During Q&A sessions at conventions, George will provide the disclaimer that he is assuming everyone has read all the books. I guess the same thing goes on the Dark Sword site. As we dive deeper and deeper into the line, things will happen with certain characters changing quite a bit in their appearances as well to reflect what happened in the books. I just do not know any way around it...

Regards,

Jim
www.DarkSwordMiniatures.com

speaking of paint descriptions: Are we going to get any more for the new models?

Oh, and I think the spoilers are fine.

Thank you for your reply. And thank you for the other spoiler, Mountain vs Viper though that doesn't really mean much to me at this point, I am just finishing second book. I think it fair to say that 'Cersei tended to wear green or red dresses but later wore black' is a hell of a lot better than 'she later wore black because her son and father were killed'. I was drawn to this website from GRRM's website when I was intrigued by a miniatures link. The spoiler was an unfortunate thing and I was just providing some feedback to you.

andrew Roberts
speaking of paint descriptions: Are we going to get any more for the new models?

Hey Andrew Roberts,

I asked for more official colour schemes here a while back, and Jim posted a few "not quite official" ones that aren't (yet) on the list on the GRRM Masterworks page. These include Wildlings in general, Gold Cloaks, Lannister Lady in Waiting, Mance, and Dany (well, her dragons anyhow)

I too am hoping to see more of these on the site in the near future - Jim, any chance you can squeeze a few more Official Colour Schemes out of George when he's giving you the yea or nay on the ever-growing number of GRRM greens you've got, now that he's back from visiting the HBO sets overseas?

PS. I don't have a problem with these 'spoilers' either - if someone wants to paint ie. Cersei post-Joffrey's wedding, that info would be good to have. But the OP might have a point - a quick "Warning, these colour schemes may contain spoilers for those who haven't yet completed books 1 through 4" above the official colour schemes wouldn't be difficult to add, would it?

Thanks,

Jeff