Bravenet Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More official GRRM line colour schemes to come?

Does anyone know if there are plans to get more official colour schemes for the GRRM line characters from GRRM himself, like the descriptions that are already online at http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/grrm.htm for the characters in wave 1 of the line? I'd think this would be a useful thing to keep updated, for anyone who's planning on painting these minis as faithfully to the novels as possible. From everything I've read here at Dark Sword and on Mr. Martin's site, it seems like they do stay in contact, so I would think it could be done (at least for the named characters and members of organizations with uniforms - I'm not asking for detailed descriptions of the colours of each garment or weapon worn by every unnamed wildling for instance, but we've already got Mance and Alfyn and Rattleshirt and a few goldcloaks, and Tyrion and Theon are coming up and so forth...). I've already re-read the existing volumes in the series once, and Ill admit I'm starting to wonder if I am going to have to do it again by the time the next installment arrives, but I'd just as soon re-read it for enjoyment and as a reminder of who's doing what to whom and where, as opposed to just searching for descriptions of people's clothing, etc...

Thanks for any info or rumours anyone may have heard...

Re: More official GRRM line colour schemes to come?

We will for sure get more color scheme posts up on the site when George and I can synch up on it.

I just hate to trouble him too much for things like this as he is such a busy guy.

But I can get something over to him for general descriptions and he can address them when he has some down time (as one cannot write for 24/7 without giving the brain a rest and some new things to focus on).

Stay tuned...

Regards,

Jim
www.DarkSwordMiniatures.com

Woo-Hoo! That's fantastic!

And no, definitely don't go bothering him about it if he's busy working... especially if it's on the next Ice & Fire novel! :o)

Thanks for the update, Jim. Much appreciated.

Here is what I have from previous GRRM emails that we shared with Matt Verzani as he painted up our studio models. Much more to come -

1. Wildings in general
The Wildlings should be a very natural looking fig as they do not have access to colorful dyes and such. The furs would be red/brown, brown, gray, white, etc. The pants/clothes would be more brown and blacks. Every Wildling kind of does their own thing (unlike the Nights Watch) in terms of their clothing. Please note, that they do loot clothes/armor and weapons off of those they kill. So you can work these in as well. On some of their shields you could do scary images as they paint on crude images from time to time to frighten their enemies in battle. Like Demons and such...

2. Gold Cloaks
Well, their cloaks are gold. Not yellow, mind you. Gold. Like the current St. Louis Rams, not the old LA Rams. Helms, breastplate, and chainmail would be black, with gold chasing. Black boots and belts. Other than that, colors can vary.

3. Lannister Lady in Waiting:
The painters would have a lot of freedom here. Some highborn ladies might dress heraldically, in which case the gown could be painted in the colors of their house and patterned with appropriate arms. But that is by no mean compulsory. No lady would wear the same gown every day. So, really, it's painter's choice.

4. Mance:
Mance should be clean shaven. Although a skilled warrior, he doesn't necessarily look like one -- when Jon first enters his presence, he figures either Tormund Giantsbane or Styr the Magnar must be Mance, since they're the two who look the most like warriors. Mance looks more like a bard, and often poses like one south of the Wall. He's of middling height, slender, sharp-faced, with shrewd brown eyes, long brown hair gone mostly grey, a ready smile and a charming manner. No beard. No mustache.

Mance's cloak is an important part of his story. It began as an ordinary ranger's cloak: black wool, long, hooded. A shadowcat slashed the hell out of it (and out of Mance). The wildling woman who mended it patched the rents with red silk, so now it's black with long red slashes. Mance is described as wearing fur breeches and a black ringmail shirt.

5. Rattleshirt:

6. Theon:

7. Hedge Knights:

8. Dany:
Rhaegal - Bright Green scales tinted with bronze
Viserion - Scales of cream with Gold highlights
Drogon (her favorite) - Scales of black - they shimmer like polished metal.
All have large translucent wings.

Enjoy...

Jim
www.DarkSwordMiniatures.com

Oh wow, talk about customer service!
Thanks for digging up the info...

I take it you're holding off until you and Mr. Martin get a chance to "synch up on it" before adding these to the rest of the "official colour schemes & commentary" information on your GRRM page. Makes sense...

Thanks again for this sneak peek, & here's hoping other impatient fans who just can't wait that long will stumble across this thread in the meantime!
...Although your boards do seem awful quiet, which is really kind of a shame.

Looking forward to the 'Much more to come' you mentioned (and of course for a look at Shrunken Tyrion & for those 4 unreleased GRRM greens to become available!)

Jeff