Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GRRM wave 1.5

Any news on when we can order these?

Rob

Re: GRRM wave 1.5

Hi there -

We are in the middle of making the rest of the production molds on them at this time.

I would think (if all goes well) another 4-5 weeks or so we would post them in our Online Store. We may post them up ahead of that for pre-sale so people can get their sets reserved to ensure they get their copies right away upon release.

Those of you on our eNewsletter mailing list will find out right away when things are ready for ordering.

Stay tuned...

Cheers,

Jim
www.DarkSwordMiniatures.com

These minis are all great (I especially like very much the design of the 2 goldcloaks), but Dany is really magnificent !!!

Tom is actually what we could call an artist...Let's call him Maestro !

Congratulations to Jeff Grace too for his impressive wildlings.

I'm strongly interested in a pre-release sale, so let me know if there is...

Regards,

Yannick

I like the gold cloaks and love the Dany sculpt (is this one the 30mm or 54mm? if its 30mm, then Tom is just too good). I still struggle with the male wildlings. Unfortnately I just don't think they fit in well with Toms sculpts. I understand why but... Maybe Jeff can ditch the Reaper/GW orc pose on the next one

I agree with Andrew.

The wildlings are okay, but I'm not going to lay out ten bucks for a miniature that isn't up to standard of the previous mini's in the line.

Meir's sculpts on the other hand are well worth the price.

Interesting comments as everyone who actually saw the miniatures put together and next to Tom's in the display case at Gen Con Indy loved them.

Please keep in mind that these are Wildlings. They are really rough and tough looking. Jeff tried to convey they in the sculpts with their clothes and their hair/beards and even weapons which are scavanged off the of the battle fields and some of them are even made of stone (per George himself). If you put them next to the Night's Watch, they fit right in (as the Night's Watch are a little more on the rough and tough side as well due to their lifestyle).

If you put them next to the main named characters, they are going to look different as most of the main named characters done thus far are knights, and courtly ladies (which are more cleaned up and refined in their every day look than a Wildling or Night's Watch).

With that being said, there are certian folks who twitch only on Tom Meier sculpts. No worries at all, but Tom is a busy man and he has less and less time to sculpt for non-toy companies these days.

Cheers,

Jim

Well I guess I need to eat a bit of crow - today I purchased one of the wildlings down at the Source and have to say that I am very happy with these minis. Once out of the package you can really see the fine details in these and they should fit in just fine with Toms work, esp as a rougher sort of peoples. Jeff did an excellent job (O.K. I still think some of the poses are a bit "orcy", but thats O.K. too). I will definitely be buying the rest and look forward to seeing Daves Dire wolves as well.

Gloria_Invictus

Hi Andrew -

Jeff did do a really nice job on these Wildlings. There is a minor named Wildling character coming up soon as well. Jeff will also be sculpting up Mance Rayder and Rattleshirt in the next month.

I am the one to blame on the wide legged poses as I told him to go with some really dynamic attacking poses for most of the Wildlings like they were charging into battle and the Night's Watch was waiting for their charge.

The rest of Wave 1.5 is being finished off very soon. So the four Tom Meier pieces should be available in mid Oct at the Source.

Stay tuned...

Cheers,

Jim

The minis will be available mid october at the source, but when could international customers purchase via your online shop ???

yes - for sure.

I hope to have production status updates later this week so I can post up online and start allowing pre-orders.

Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Jim

Any update on these?

Check back Monday night for two very large updates on these...Me thinks you will be happy...

Cheers,

Jim

Could we get some pics of the new mini's next to the older ones? The earier wave had a shot of all the mini's together. It would be nice to get a similiar shot with the new ones.

Thanks!

are they at the source yet? I went last Thursday but they weren't there yet.

Thanks,

Yepper. I brought them in on Saturday.

They now have everything. They are on their new release rack for miniatures.

I am also going to bring in inked versions later this week to put in the small display case they had to move off their front counter when they had Jim Lee instore doing a signing 6 weeks ago. I need to have them put the small display case back up on the front counter.

The 54mm Daenerys is beyond amazing in terms of a mind-blowing tribute piece to simply paint up for display.

Cheers,

Jim

I have to throw in with those who are a bit uneasy with the Wildlings.

While I have no problems at all with the detail or motive, I dislike the "heroic pose" that makes them look like standing, frozen in fight, in the midst of a gale.

I dislike these flattering cloaks look on principle with my minis, and the more so when paired with the poses of Tom Meier. Just to start, it is hard to put them on display together. Their pose looks "natural" in just so few occasions, and most of these do not transfer well into my cabinet. This works for single miniatures, but imho not for a series like GRRM.

Just my 5c, and the reason why I will not order the wildlings from my local retailer.

I, on the otherhand, have to say that the Wildlings are my favorites. I can't ever see a Wildling standing still. To me, the action pose clearly indicates these are people of action, not talk. These are not the "civilized" folk of Kings Landing.

I must admit, there has not been a GRRM mini that I did not like and I will display them all together. I just prefer my knights and rogues, to my ladies in waiting.

I'm with the previous poster. After all, the North is windy and cold, who doesn't think those cloaks will blow around a bit :)

I really enjoyed painting the wildlings, probably more than I did any of the rest of the GRRM line that I've finished so far.