Return to Website

The 4m Forum

Welcome to the 4m Forum. No registration required.

The 4m Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ascom SE550 deaf on receive - any truth in this rumour?

Just got onto 4m with an Ascom SE550. A couple of guys have told me they have heard a rumour that they have a reputation for being a bit deaf on RX?! Hard to beleive for a rig that seems to have been the 'weapon of choice' for so many amateurs. Just a couple of sets badly aligned? Can't asses this for myself until more people get on 4m in North Wales! Can someone give me some reassurance?

Callsign MW0DNK

Re: Ascom SE550

Rob,

I've never used one myself, but have spoken to many dozens of stations using them with great success.
Reported problems with apparent lack of sensitivity often seem to be due to user error: not setting the squelch to the noise threshold, so that only the strongest signals can over-ride the muting. Note that the squelch is on one of the menus, rather than a simple old-fashioned front-panel knob!

73 de Ross

Callsign G6GVI

Re: Re: Ascom SE550

Thanks for the info, Ross - that adds up with the equipment spec. My threshold is set at the lowest value. Hope to copy you when you work from Winter Hill. 73's, Rob.

Callsign MW0DNK

Re: Re: Re: Ascom SE550

The ASCOM SE550 isn't the most sensitive rig, but most of the rigs that I have worked on achieve at least -120dbm (.22uV) for 12db SINAD.

Callsign G8LYB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ascom SE550

Thanks for the info, Steve. The rumour originated from a PMR supplier who spooked one of our chaps here in North Wales, who subsequently opted for a Key instead. This was a while ago, and we're quite confident in the Ascoms by now. We've had great results so far - I've worked Mid-Wales, Dublin and the Lake District with my Ascom and a Sandpiper 3/4 wave mobile antenna! The band is working beyond our expectations. PS. Hope you received my letter and payment for the tuning slugs.
Best 73's, and thanks for the info. Rob MW0DNK

Callsign MW0DNK