Return to Website

CT C.H.E.E.R. Message Board

Are you new to homeschooling and have a question ? Are you new to eastern CT and want to connect with other homeschoolers ? Are you a current CHEER homeschooler, who can offer support to others on the forum ? Here's a place for you to post. Please note: No flaming; no advertisements. Thank you.

CT C.H.E.E.R. Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where do I start!

I'm a mom of a 6 year old son and 1 year old son. My 6 year old is currently in first grade but needs to "re-do" first grade. The teachers don't think staying back would do him any good socially but I'm so sad watching him constantly struggle and fell so frustrated. I'm feeling overwhelmed with the amount of information out there about homeschooling. I'm looking for someone who would want to talk in person and maybe even show me what they do. Thank you!

Re: Where do I start!

Hi Alexandria,

I would like to make a suggestion before you pull your child out of school.
Your child may be struggling due to a learning disability. It may be beneficial for you to know what that learning disability is before you home school.(that way you will have a clearer idea as to what the problem may be and how to teach to your child.)

Under the Child Find Law in the State of CT, it is the school district's responsibility to identify a child with a learning disability.
Most likely, unless you insist, most school districts will not initiate this process on their own ( identifying and remediation costs them $$ ).

If your child is struggling, you can ask (in writing) for a PPT meeting to initiate Child Find.
Your school district may have paperwork for you to fill out which includes a referral form.
please make sure you list ALL areas of concern (academic, social/emotional, attention, etc.-depending what your child struggles with.) Since they will have to test your child in these areas.

ask a friend or family member or a trusted teacher(if there is such a thing in public school?) for help. it is hard to stay objective when you are the parent!

The testing and report done by the school may give you a better idea on how to proceed.

It is possible to home school children with learning differences! It helps to know how your child learns best.

You can check out the CT State Dept. of Ed. website (and Bureau of Special Education) for more info.
hope this helps.
Good Luck,
Teresa

Re: Where do I start!

I currently have a first, going into second grade homeschoolers and would be happy to answer your questions.