Return to Website

The 4m Forum

Welcome to the 4m Forum. No registration required.

The 4m Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Watson WBV-70 Antenna Any Problems?

Has anyone else tried the WBV 70 antenna manufactured by Watson. I bought one at the Drayton Rally today and spent the last 6 hours trying to set it up. I am unable to get the VSWR below 1.7 - 2 on 70Mhz against the quoted 1:1.5. Have tried this down on the ground and in situ on the roof. I can only get anywhere near the quoted figure on 66Mhz. Also I found the overall build quality disappointing. Where the adjustable element fits inside the main radiator there is a gap of approx 1mm all the way round which will no doubt allow water into the main element and possibly into the loading coil over time. There is also no provision to cover the SO239 connector to protect it from the weather as there is on my Watson 2m/70cm antennas. Overall first impressions would prompt me to say to anyone who asked my opinion on this antenna is not to bother with it. Will have another attempt at it over the next few days and post an update.

Callsign M0VGP

Re: Watson WBV-70 Antenna Any Problems?

Sounds exactly like a Moonraker vertical in terms of construction and performance that I bought last year! VSWR not less than 2:1 no matter what and a gap where the adjustable element slides. I consigned it to the 'waste of space' box and substituted a Trident half wave from Nevada - no problems - fully enclosed, excellent match and it's come through the winter's gales and rain all OK.

Callsign G3WXC

Re: Re: Watson WBV-70 Antenna Any Problems?

I had one of these antenna some time ago and found exactly the same problem.
I complained to W & S and got a refund.
They confirmed that the Watson is infact made by MoonRaker, so that explains a lot in it own right !!

Send it back from where it came from, get a refund.
I use a Chelcom 1/2 wave vert and it is well made and less that 1.4 from 69 to just under 72 mhz.
It has survived over the last 2 years on the mast in all winds and weathers without apparent problem.

Regards,
Tony.

Callsign G4CJZ