Return to Website

The 4m Forum

Welcome to the 4m Forum. No registration required.

The 4m Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Increasing the 4m sensitivity on an FT847

You probably have all seen this but it did make a super difference to my old 847 - QRV again on 4m. Chris

As an answer to: Re: Operating on 4 metres (70 MHz) written by Andrew Lenton at 06 Jan 2003 12:30:21:

I get 12w on my 847 and it works nicely on 70Mhz. I have increased the power to 120w by buying a cheap Ex CB amp. Bremi BRL200. a very simple couple of mods to the tuned circuits and 120W. look for them at rallies. I got mine last year at the wythall rally for £35!!!!!
Reference 847 being DEAF, it is (or WAS) on 70mhz. Internal RX Gain is set very LOW!
Ive set mine to maximum and its brill on the band now with NO side affects.
set 847 to 70mhz band ssb. TURn off 847. Hold down all 3 buttons on mic (hard) and switch rig on. U should now now see a new(hiden) menu displayed.
Rotate the SUB_Tune control clockwise until RX-GAIN is displayed.
now make a note of the 2 small hexadecimal digits on end of freq readout. prob 50 or so, rotate the mem/vfo ch, control until desired rx gain increse is acheaved. I set mine to Max FF. press MENU button to store. switch off repeat process to ensure settings were saved. This adjustment is band selective, so u can do same to any other bands which are a bit low if desired, and u have NO loud local stations. Hope this helps. regards mike g4vpd

Callsign G3WOS