Bravenet Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Weber and Sommer families of Schefflenz

Hi...

I'm helping an Iowa researcher with her gr-grandparents' family. They left Europe in 1906, settling shortly thereafter. Their immigration papers indicated that they were from Unterschefflenz. They were Catholic, and appeared thus:

Robert M. Weber 37

Anna F. (Sommer) Weber 37

Ida F. Weber 14

Karl M. Weber 10

Adolf M. Weber 6

Anna F. Weber 3

I don't know if this family group ties into either of your Sommer or Weber families from Schefflenz, but I thought it worth a try to contact you. My guess is that Robert Weber and Anna Sommer were married around 1890/91, and were both natives of the Schefflenz area.

If these people don't tie into what you have, I'd be interested in whatever recommendation you have as far as Catholic church parish records to consult; no doubt the LDS have filmed them. Would the diocese including Ober-, Mittle-, and Unterschefflenz be centered at Mosbach? Is there a Cathlic parish in Unterschefflenz?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

All the best,

David Fletcher

Richmond, VA, USA

(German ancestry as "Floesser", from Heiligkreuzsteinach...not far!)

Re: Weber and Sommer families of Schefflenz

Hi David,

thanks for your message. I will email you directly.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi...

I'm helping an Iowa researcher with her gr-grandparents' family. They left Europe in 1906, settling shortly thereafter. Their immigration papers indicated that they were from Unterschefflenz. They were Catholic, and appeared thus:

Robert M. Weber 37

Ida F. Weber 14

Karl M. Weber 10

Adolf M. Weber 6

Anna F. Weber 3

I don't know if this family group ties into either of your Sommer or Weber families from Schefflenz, but I thought it worth a try to contact you. My guess is that Robert Weber and Anna Sommer were married around 1890/91, and were both natives of the Schefflenz area.

If these people don't tie into what you have, I'd be interested in whatever recommendation you have as far as Catholic church parish records to consult; no doubt the LDS have filmed them. Would the diocese including Ober-, Mittle-, and Unterschefflenz be centered at Mosbach? Is there a Cathlic parish in Unterschefflenz?

All the best,

David Fletcher

Richmond, VA, USA

Re: Re: Weber and Sommer families of Schefflenz

My Mother knew the Webers when they lived in Wadena, Iowa and I knew Anna Weber. Louis Weber was the older brother and he came over with the Freys before the rest of the family. My Grandmother was Lydia Weber and is somehow related. Her Father was John Weber and her Mother was Lena Becker.

Replying to:

Hi David,

Replying to:

Hi...

Robert M. Weber 37

Ida F. Weber 14

Karl M. Weber 10

Adolf M. Weber 6

Anna F. Weber 3

All the best,

David Fletcher

Richmond, VA, USA

Re: Re: Weber and Sommer families of Schefflenz

Hello!

I am looking for very similar information. I've found US census information that slightly contradicts family records. Perhaps you can help.

I am looking for information on Ida Weber.

I have Ida Weber Baptism 08 Sep 1892 at a church in Unterschefflenz. Parents Johann Weber and Maria Sommer (Alternatively I have the parents as Robert and Annie Weber). Emigration to US in 1906. Ida was married to Cecil Bennington in Wadena, Iowa in 1910.

Any info you can share would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!! :)

Replying to:

Hi David,

Replying to:

Hi...

Robert M. Weber 37

Ida F. Weber 14

Karl M. Weber 10

Adolf M. Weber 6

Anna F. Weber 3

All the best,

David Fletcher

Richmond, VA, USA

Re: Re: Re: Weber and Sommer families of Schefflenz

Hi Sarah,
the church in Unterschefflenz is a lutheran church. The catholic church is in Oberschefflenz.
Is this all the information you have? I may be able to supply some more infos. Let me know and will look through my records.
Mary-Ann

Re: Re: Re: Re: Weber and Sommer families of Schefflenz

Any further information would be great! :) I honestly don't know which church the baptism/christening took place at. If is not too much trouble, I would love to find out more about Ida Weber and her parents (and grandparents... etc).

Thanks for the help!!
-Sarah

Replying to:

Hi Sarah,
the church in Unterschefflenz is a lutheran church. The catholic church is in Oberschefflenz.
Is this all the information you have? I may be able to supply some more infos. Let me know and will look through my records.
Mary-Ann

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Weber and Sommer families of Schefflenz

Hi Sarah,
Mr Walter from Oberschefflenz wrote a book (in german) about the houses and the people who lived in them. I don't have a copy of the book itself but Mr Walter gave me his manuscript when I visited him some years ago. If you have any further details on your ancestors I'll b glad to check what I can find.
He also told me that the people in Unterschefflenz were protestant. It was not until World War two when the first catholics settled in Unterschefflenz, they were refugees from Hungary. You probably know that the lds has microfilmed the Schefflenz churchbooks. Mr Walters book only gives the year but has photos of the houses and some of the people.
Greetings,
Mary-Ann

Re: Re: Re: Weber and Sommer families of Schefflenz

The Webers came to Wadena, Iowa. Louie Weber the oldest child came a year earlier with Martin Frey. Robert Weber's mother was Lena Frey and his father was John Weber.They lived just north of Wadena. I knew Louie, Anna, and Sophie Weber. Sophie was born after they came to America. Adolf was killed in a wood sawing accident. He has a daughter living in Dundee, Iowa. I knew Anna's sons. Harold Weber has several children living near Volga, Iowa and they worked on the family history. Harold was a nephew of Ida Bennington.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Weber and Sommer families of Schefflenz

Alwin, are your Frey and Weber ancestors from Unterschefflenz?
Mary-Ann

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Weber and Sommer families of Schefflenz

Louis Weber is listed as Ludio Weber on the Ellis Island Site arriving in 1905. This was the year before the rest of the family came from Unterschefflenz. I think this would be the Ludwig on your list.